News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

And Barrett says...........

IF ...​

the Suns in the first trade period under Dimma's watch don't attempt to land a big fish ...

THEN ...​

I will be very surprised. Yes, I know a lot of draft picks and their attached points will be required to secure academy players (and North Melbourne will assist greatly here), but Hardwick will want more than that.

IF ...​

the Suns in the first trade period under Dimma's watch don't attempt to land a big fish ...

THEN ...​

I will be very surprised. Yes, I know a lot of draft picks and their attached points will be required to secure academy players (and North Melbourne will assist greatly here), but Hardwick will want more than that.
This is exactly my thoughts, strike while the iron is hot.

IF ...​

THEN ...​

Certainly, Hardwick would want very, very much to lure a big-ish name here. But I also imagine he'll discover exactly how difficult that has been historically for us, and how difficult it still is.

If he does succeed in bringing some sort of impressive player up here, I'm sure we all understand the significance of that and how big a 'tick' it should be for those with any concerns about his appointment.

IF ...​

THEN ...​

Barrett is a flog in my opinion. Looks likes the dogs are a better chance then the kangas to trade picks

Barrett is a flog in my opinion. Looks likes the dogs are a better chance then the kangas to trade picks
Barrett's really dropped off in the last few years, wonder if he's burnt too many contacts and isn't getting the inside word any more. Enjoyed him getting shot down over Mills on the Rub the other day. Tried to get all outraged and Daisy and Montagna weren't having it.

Regarding that IF/Then statement, it's pretty stupid - of course Dimma/GC would like a big name signing, no s**t. This has been discussed a lot on this board though, big name players will only move if they are a reasonable chance of success. Dunkley to Brisbane last year a clear example of what is possible.

Barrett's really dropped off in the last few years, wonder if he's burnt too many contacts and isn't getting the inside word any more. Enjoyed him getting shot down over Mills on the Rub the other day. Tried to get all outraged and Daisy and Montagna weren't having it.

Regarding that IF/Then statement, it's pretty stupid - of course Dimma/GC would like a big name signing, no s**t. This has been discussed a lot on this board though, big name players will only move if they are a reasonable chance of success. Dunkley to Brisbane last year a clear example of what is possible.

Since he moved across to the AFL

He prob just trying to push the AFL a gender of the Suns needing a big name player

Jerk journalism straight out of the Kane Cornes playbook.. talks up the crows at the start of the year just to spend the season hacking them for not living up to his inflated standards

Jerk journalism straight out of the Kane Cornes playbook.. talks up the crows at the start of the year just to spend the season hacking them for not living up to his inflated standards

Lucky for us he only talks bad so I’m never outraged

IF ...​

THEN ...​

Does he know something we don't? If you think about it, trading out Chol + Hollands + Sharp would clear around $1 million in salary cap space so it's entirely possible we'll have enough cap room for the elusive "big fish".

Does he know something we don't? If you think about it, trading out Chol + Hollands + Sharp would clear around $1 million in salary cap space so it's entirely possible we'll have enough cap room for the elusive "big fish".
Likely most of that will be used to re-sign Ben King.

We cleared up Bowes contract last season to match any offers Rowell and Anderson got.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likely most of that will be used to re-sign Ben King.

We cleared up Bowes contract last season to match any offers Rowell and Anderson got.
Still gives us a year to play with because King's current contract is in place for 2024. So let's say Kingy is making $800k in 2024 and that's set to go up to $1.2m from 2025 onwards. All we'd have to do is clear $400k at the end of next season (Casboult & Day's retirements, Ellis & Witts coming off long deals that should be lowered) and we'll have over $1 million cleared for both of those years to use on the "big fish".

Still gives us a year to play with because King's current contract is in place for 2024. So let's say Kingy is making $800k in 2024 and that's set to go up to $1.2m from 2025 onwards. All we'd have to do is clear $400k at the end of next season (Casboult & Day's retirements, Ellis & Witts coming off long deals that should be lowered) and we'll have over $1 million cleared for both of those years to use on the "big fish".
If we spend only 95% cap in 2024, then we can go 105% the following year.

I don’t think there is anything sinister in Geelong going for King. He has experience as a head coach now and it makes sense for him to move on and get more experience in a new environment while he builds his resume and waits for the next round of coaching vacancies to open. Would know the Geelong setup as well having played there and was always going to be a hot commodity.

Would be a big loss, but our coaching staff still looks decent with Dimma, Shaw, Drummond, Grigg and whoever we bring in to replace King, and maybe even gives premiership winning Drummond the chance to step into the senior assistant role? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back