News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

He spoke very well. Talked a lot about culture, and people will come (players or off field) by the culture you build. Also talked about what we would see with the suns team in terms of game style, and seems will be a mix of what there is and a mix of what you have seen at richmond/GWS/collingwood

Will play a style that will suit the players strengths. Talked a lot about winning. Reckon he'll instill in these players the will to win.
I thought it was really interesting when they asked him how he defined success and instead of simply pointing to wins/finals he said success can be defined by the people you can attract to your club from both a coaching and playing perspective. Then he expanded by saying it's about creating an environment that people want to be a part of and that's when the other metrics of success start to fall in line.

He didn't shut down the idea of Rance making a playing comeback either. Just said "we might have to see if we can fit him in the cap".

I thought it was really interesting when they asked him how he defined success and instead of simply pointing to wins/finals he said success can be defined by the people you can attract to your club from both a coaching and playing perspective. Then he expanded by saying it's about creating an environment that people want to be a part of and that's when the other metrics of success start to fall in line.

He didn't shut down the idea of Rance making a playing comeback either. Just said "we might have to see if we can fit him in the cap".
Not wrong. You have the right people, and everyone on the same page and vision, with good values, and all on the same road, success will come. Of course that is coupled by a buy in, and game plan and I reckon he'll instill the fun back into these players.

I think a rance comeback could work if caleb Graham requested a trade for opportunities. There's a few teams desperate for key backs and his value would be sky high right now. It would leave our depth a bit thin but I can't see them holding him back to have that chance of being in a starting 22.

I think a rance comeback could work if caleb Graham requested a trade for opportunities. There's a few teams desperate for key backs and his value would be sky high right now. It would leave our depth a bit thin but I can't see them holding him back to have that chance of being in a starting 22.
Just No.
Crab will be our best Key back this year
Just you wait

Talent.

Budarick and Joel Jeffrey are incredibly talented.

Sent from my SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
i wanna see both lads in the best 22 in year, even from round 1.

Jeffrey to continue his half back role, transitioning into an 3rd/4th tall intercept 192cm.

Budarick one day i wanna see him push up into the guts like Rory Laird, get some continuity at half back for a few years and then move up the ground.

Also add in Alex Davies if he can improve his tank, and Rosas if he can continue upwards, thats 4 of our freebie first rounders/second rounders that need to explode and carry us up the ladder.

Wonder if we'll tempt Andrew Mcqualter to come be an assistant under his old boss at his old club

Last night when I was driving into the mcg 5.30pm peak hour bumper to bumper traffic 2 massive big billboards on the Westgate freeway had Damian Hardwick advertising for HostPlus.
Never seen any Gold Coast Suns advertising like this in the history of the suns especially in Melbourne

Last night when I was driving into the mcg 5.30pm peak hour bumper to bumper traffic 2 massive big billboards on the Westgate freeway had Damian Hardwick advertising for HostPlus.
Never seen any Gold Coast Suns advertising like this in the history of the suns especially in Melbourne
AC0511F2-4C7C-425B-97A6-81DF51161E8E.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma really feels like our version of what Leigh Matthews did for Brisbane in the late 90s/early 2000s. Lethal added legitimacy to the Brisbane Lions when they had previously been viewed as a joke of a football club down south and I think there are a lot of parallels here with us. Let's be honest - most Victorians view us that way but they don't view Damien Hardwick that way. So now we have a unique opportunity to reverse that because we were able to recruit a guy that has legitimate credibility within the southern states and in particular with the AFL media in Melbourne. You never would have seen Guy McKenna or Stuart Dew on billboards in Melbourne and that probably speaks more to the theory that we've never really had a (proven) good coach until now.

The times they are a-changin!

Dimma really feels like our version of what Leigh Matthews did for Brisbane in the late 90s/early 2000s. Lethal added legitimacy to the Brisbane Lions when they had previously been viewed as a joke of a football club down south and I think there are a lot of parallels here with us. Let's be honest - most Victorians view us that way but they don't view Damien Hardwick that way. So now we have a unique opportunity to reverse that because we were able to recruit a guy that has legitimate credibility within the southern states and in particular with the AFL media in Melbourne. You never would have seen Guy McKenna or Stuart Dew on billboards in Melbourne and that probably speaks more to the theory that we've never really had a (proven) good coach until now.

The times they are a-changin!

They tried to put Stewy on the billboard but he wouldn't fit.

Hi guys, I come in peace hoping for clear information that I cannot find anywhere else.

Firstly, it was a great win by the Suns reserves in the GF. Your boy‘s were the best team all year and showed why against Werribee.

My question is on list sizes. I see that the AFL still has your club‘s list size for 2023 at 49.
1st Q: Does your club have the same salary cap as all other teams or has the AFL given an increased cap that goes with the increased list size?
2nd Q: Has the AFL reduced your clubs list size back to 38 on the primary list and up to 6 rookie types for a max total of 44?

I cannot find this info and would love some in-the-know help.

Hi guys, I come in peace hoping for clear information that I cannot find anywhere else.

Firstly, it was a great win by the Suns reserves in the GF. Your boy‘s were the best team all year and showed why against Werribee.

My question is on list sizes. I see that the AFL still has your club‘s list size for 2023 at 49.
1st Q: Does your club have the same salary cap as all other teams or has the AFL given an increased cap that goes with the increased list size?
2nd Q: Has the AFL reduced your clubs list size back to 38 on the primary list and up to 6 rookie types for a max total of 44?

I cannot find this info and would love some in-the-know help.
For question 1, I don’t believe we got additional cap space for the extra list concessions (stupid, I know). However, I think $80k of rookie contracts sit outside the cap for any club, so there is some relief there in terms of cap.

For question 2, the AFL hasn’t said anything… Last year they hadn’t decided until a few days before draft night whether we would keep the spots. Hopefully this year they make the call earlier so that the Suns can properly plan for their list.

My assumption is it will go down, based on VFL form, even though AFL form didn’t really improve! But losing all spots at once would be rough on a few players, even with a few retirements. Of course, we could list some as VFL only players instead rather than being on the main AFL list.

For question 1, I don’t believe we got additional cap space for the extra list concessions (stupid, I know). However, I think $80k of rookie contracts sit outside the cap for any club, so there is some relief there in terms of cap.

For question 2, the AFL hasn’t said anything… Last year they hadn’t decided until a few days before draft night whether we would keep the spots. Hopefully this year they make the call earlier so that the Suns can properly plan for their list.

My assumption is it will go down, based on VFL form, even though AFL form didn’t really improve! But losing all spots at once would be rough on a few players, even with a few retirements. Of course, we could list some as VFL only players instead rather than being on the main AFL list.
Thanks very much for your reply… your thought on the cap is what I assumed but could not confirm (though is still not confirmed)… so …49 players are being paid the same total sum as 44 players at other clubs.

Last edited:

For the first time in the Suns history, you lot are about to become a top 4 team.

There is no part of your field that is lacking.

Your new coach will install a single concept: to push the ball fwd. Your midfield has the capacity to make that happen.

Walter will make an immediate impact …. with Reid and Rogers being 100% 200 game players … but will take time.

Great times are he ahead for the GCS.

Last edited:
Damien Hardwick is set to poach Andrew McQualter as an assistant coach at the Gold Coast.

Any truth to this rumour?
Crazy if too.

The other rumour is a new name

Goldcoast sabre tooth tigers

🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back