Autopsy Come and stay for the Hayward show 48 point win vs Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a feeling that Adams will be out for Parker next week

Parker has him covered when it comes to the hf role resting

Doubt that happens, think Warner is pushing forward more anyway, Adams is a more reliable kick and has some more pace.

But could both fit in the side?

sure it will happen eventually , but would surprise me if Parker plays next week v Carlton. I think Adams has built a nice yeah,
so dropping him would be very odd

To be fair, in that period, not many have won in Geelong...
Pretty sure I heard a statistic last night - of their last 136 home games, visiting teams have won 17. So it's almost as rare as an intelligent Crows fan, or a Collingwood fan with a full set of teeth :).

After the game I found myself wondering “would Parker have helped us tonight?”

I’m honestly not sure - as he’s a terrific player, but our success is currently built on fast transition and quick, precise ball movement.

Im surprised to be saying this - but I can kinda see why he’s not back in the firsts. Our current game-style is working & it perhaps doesn’t play to Parker’s strengths.

i've been thinking similar ... parker is slowing, and his kicking accuracy has been an issue for a while
as great a club warrior as he's been, maybe he really doesn't fit into a best 22 (23) now, with that fast, precision movement
not calling time on him at all, he will play seniors again, and likely sooner than later, but it is difficult to see where he fits in right now, or who he'd replace

I’m with you on Amartey but I actually think he has been gradually improving this season. He’s getting to more contests than I’ve seen him get to in the past which speaks to his fitness improving and I think he’s working really effectively within our forward line which is also functioning really effectively.

We are as fans seeing more evidence that he is working to improve fitness , speed bursts late and working up the ground, bit more game time. Plenty to improve but I Like seeing the work

One thing that is noticeable being at the game is the difficulty of the kicks the team is prepared to take. They have no fear kicking the ball to someone with an opponent hot in their hammer if it gets the ball where they want to be.

I have been hugely critical of horse over the years but this is a massive step for him. Old swans teams wouldn't dream of taking the risks these boys do. Yea it doesn't work all the time but it's absolutely devastating when it does

the adams kick to mclean!

Someone who may need a rest is Matt Roberts. Feels to me that he’s been looking tired the last few weeks and might need a break, although they may just wait for the bye.

I guess you could do a bit of jiggery-pokery by resting Roberts to get Parker in the side somehow - move McInerney or Lloyd to play more in defence - but also wouldn’t be surprised if Adams is rested too at some point as an older player with an injury history.

the adams kick to mclean!

Adams was in a few great links.

Also apart from the Tigers game everyone is running both ways, Hayward Heeney etc will be in a play on the wing then at a contest forward.

I know it’s the solemn sworn duty of Bigfooty to find a whipping boy, but I actually thought Francis has a fairly good game.
Aside from a couple of howlers he played his role. Just worry that he really seems to struggle to adapt to the quick decision making required in the seniors. Seems a pace behind everyone else at times.

I know it’s the solemn sworn duty of Bigfooty to find a whipping boy, but I actually thought Francis has a fairly good game.

He was on a hiding to nothing replacing our best KPD and also jumping in front of fox.

He had some awkward play and then he adjusted started looking to spoil more, the guy can play, can't underestimate being chopped and changed and the pressure that brings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from a couple of howlers he played his role. Just worry that he really seems to struggle to adapt to the quick decision making required in the seniors. Seems a pace behind everyone else at times.

Probably needs a month of seniors to get his groove , but I kind of hope he doesn't get it.

Jordon also had 8 score involvements, highest for the Swans and second overall. Regularly finds himself in scoring chains. Big fan.
If Hayward moves on he is the man to fill a role in the forward line. Not exactly like for like but he is tall, clamps like Clamps did, contributes to the scoring chain, is a very smart and efficient footballer. I like him. And he is only 23+ years old.

He was of the pace at first and mistimed getting to a number of contests but got better as the game went on. I think if he was still in next week we would see a much better game from him.

Amartey has everything he needs to succeed ability wise just mental/doing the hard work now
I feel like it is starting to click for him this year. I know some disagree, but I thought he provided a good target last week and was terrific yesterday. He has a good frame too, which he can continue to build out.

McDonald has far more natural talent, but I feel like McDonald still hasn’t started to really unleash his potential yet - once he can use his body and skills he will be very dangerous.

It looks to me there's been a shift to Hayward being almost full forward and mcdonald works up the ground, Amartey a decoy etc

Last edited:
i've been thinking similar ... parker is slowing, and his kicking accuracy has been an issue for a while
as great a club warrior as he's been, maybe he really doesn't fit into a best 22 (23) now, with that fast, precision movement
not calling time on him at all, he will play seniors again, and likely sooner than later, but it is difficult to see where he fits in right now, or who he'd replace
Might start and end his career as a premiership player as sub!

He has his limitations (lack of leg speed being the one I notice), sure. But he rarely gets outmarked & is a real physical presence at the contest.

He’s also a decent kick.

All the attributes that made him a top 10 pick are still there. It’s just he has a few limitations to go with them.

I’m pleased we recruited him.

It looks to me there's been a shift to Hayward being almost full forward and mcdonald works up the ground, Amartey a decoy etc
Hayward wasn’t often at full forward last night (he runs hard end-to-end). It was usually McLean or Armatey, but Warner spent a large part of the 2nd quarter there too.

You’re correct that McDonald doesn’t spend a lot of time near the goal square.
What was really pleasing about it last night was that our talls weren’t getting in each other’s way.

Hayward wasn’t often at full forward last night (he runs hard end-to-end). It was usually McLean or Armatey, but Warner spent a large part of the 2nd quarter there too.

You’re correct that McDonald doesn’t spent a lot of time near the goal square.
What was really pleasing about it last night was that our talls weren’t getting in each other’s way.

Not so much full forward but looks like he is targeted more by the mids. I am sure there is a stat showing I am wrong 😂

Warner also seems forward more which I don't mind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back