Connecting the dots - Are we on the brink of calamity?

Remove this Banner Ad

that's the funniest thing i've read on BIGFOOTY FOOTBALL FORUM!

sigworthy i'd say.

haha :)

can't remember why i joined originally. i don't really know anything about footy, certainly not to the extent to bother talking about it (except over beer with mates). conspiracy theories and the new-age celebration of ignorance though- that i know stuff about ;)

http://www.watoday.com.au/business/...cent-of-pregfc-conditions-20140603-39fcl.html
A storm alert today from Simon Derrick at the Bank of New York Mellon. He cites three warnings from leading central bankers, all alarmed by the remarkable disregard for risk in the equity, credit, and currency markets.

The Bank of England's Deputy Governor Charles Bean says the lack of volatility is "eerily reminiscent" of the run up to the financial crisis in 2007-2008. Investors are turning a blind eye to a large fact: that central banks are intent on extricating themselves from QE and emergency policies come what may, and this is going to be a painful experience.

Italy central bank Governor Ignazio Visco issued a similar warning on Friday: "Volatility on the financial markets in the advanced economies has subsided to well below the historic norm, reaching levels that in the past sometimes preceded rapid changes in the orientation of investors."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/mark...-conditions-20140603-39fcl.html#ixzz33Y6kJDPy

Just an update on the low deposit mortgage situation in this country.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/b...mortgages-at-twoyear-high-20140527-391x8.html

1 in 7 new mortgages are going to people with LVRs of 90+%

That is essentially subprime.

1 in 3 new mortgages are going to people with LVRs of 80+%

And even a tiny cooling in the market and these jokers are as good as subprime as well.

1 in 3 ffs.
Australia's mortgage market has been made up of what might be called 'subprime' for well over a decade. The situation for what they call 'prime' mortgages in the US is bizarre - 30 year fixed rate mortgages at around 5-6% would be snapped up here in huge numbers. Such prime mortgages don't exist in Australia at all.

For some reason it works here and not there. Maybe the same crunch is coming here and we don't know it yet. I think there are secondary factors at play - medical expenses are a massive cause of bankruptcy there, if you aren't educated you earn absolutely terrible money, and if you are you're saddled with enormous debt from tuition fees.

Australia's mortgage market has been made up of what might be called 'subprime' for well over a decade. The situation for what they call 'prime' mortgages in the US is bizarre - 30 year fixed rate mortgages at around 5-6% would be snapped up here in huge numbers. Such prime mortgages don't exist in Australia at all.

For some reason it works here and not there. Maybe the same crunch is coming here and we don't know it yet. I think there are secondary factors at play - medical expenses are a massive cause of bankruptcy there, if you aren't educated you earn absolutely terrible money, and if you are you're saddled with enormous debt from tuition fees.

I have grave concerns for the australian property market. We have a number of issues such as property tax, capital gains and other issues related to property that need to be addressed. However, there is a massive bubble and any attempts to fix it could cause massive pain to the banking system, the economy and worse.....the electorate.

thus nothing will be reformed until it breaks.

I have grave concerns for the australian property market. We have a number of issues such as property tax, capital gains and other issues related to property that need to be addressed. However, there is a massive bubble and any attempts to fix it could cause massive pain to the banking system, the economy and worse.....the electorate.

thus nothing will be reformed until it breaks.

i said ~3 years ago that surely the property market is due for a correction. i've been wrong for 3 years. most recent data though shows a small fall:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...arket-is-cooling/story-fncq3era-1226939902266

though nothing really to get alarmed about. note that if there isn't a crash, was there a bubble? certainly many feel the market is overvalued- but if people keep paying these prices and loans keep getting repaid, then it's hard to call it a bubble. ultimately, everything hinges on the rate of employment.

i said ~3 years ago that surely the property market is due for a correction. i've been wrong for 3 years. most recent data though shows a small fall:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...arket-is-cooling/story-fncq3era-1226939902266

though nothing really to get alarmed about. note that if there isn't a crash, was there a bubble? certainly many feel the market is overvalued- but if people keep paying these prices and loans keep getting repaid, then it's hard to call it a bubble. ultimately, everything hinges on the rate of employment.

you're right

I look at the 4 quadrants where $ flow in investments being cash, property, equities and other (commodities, international etc). cash is attractive is interest rates are high and for the reason of debt levels, they will remain flat for decades. equities are very high in value and extremely volatile post GFC. property has maintained value as people have shifted out of equities and low interest rates means holding costs are low.

The last quadrant is unfamiliar to most australians as the first three quadrants have been great performers for 70 years. However, I feel like japan of the 90s, people will chase higher yields overseas. We have seen that with people investing in US property, the rise of hard commodities and now soft commodities. When this becomes mainstream, this is when property prices will fall in line with competing investment alternatives.

libor2.gif

Forbes: This new LIBOR scandal will cause a terrifying financial crisis.

Intriguing article. We are in, by some measures, uncharted territory.

And, by other measures, we worn territory.

1646376.png

if instead of pontificating you actually wanted to learn something about economics, stay away from zerohedge the panic merchants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey SB, have you ever read what the Fed proposed to beat deflation?
Doesn't ring a bell.

Aware me brah.

In the meantime, let's not forget that the US already has an effective negative interest rate for savers, as interest paid on savings is significantly less than real inflation.

Later on I will check to see how far off we are from being in the same boat.

s**t is ****ed and no campaigner is paying any attention.

Doesn't ring a bell.

Aware me brah.

In the meantime, let's not forget that the US already has an effective negative interest rate for savers, as interest paid on savings is significantly less than real inflation.

Later on I will check to see how far off we are from being in the same boat.

s**t is ****** and no campaigner is paying any attention.
It used to be here but they've taken it down [/tinfoil]

http://www.dallasfed.org/research/swe/2003/swe0304a.html

Anyway, this might work. Search for the sentence starting with "The strategy for eliminating the zero bound ..."

http://www.dallasfed.org/assets/documents/research/swe/2003/swe0304a.pdf

Irving Fisher's proposals specifically.

iv) The Dept of Homeland Security (created after 9/11) has put in a purchase order for 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition (enough for a twenty-year hot war on American soil) and several thousand armoured personnel carriers. For domestic use. They appear to be planning for civil unrest and martial law. The following video shows what took place when Watertown was 'locked down' (another term for what was effectively martial law) after the Boston Bombings.

v) Following incidents such as Sandy Hook, the Obama government has taken steps to curtail citizens' consitutional right to bear arms, even stating he will do so "with or without Congress". In response, gun and ammunition sales have dramatically increased over the past year.

Here's some more food for thought.

Police%20State_0.jpg

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-06-09/across-america-police-departments-are-quietly-preparing-war

How many times do I need to correct you on the 1.6 billion rounds of ammo figure? They didn’t purchase that much, it’s how much they have tendered for purchase. They might use half or all of that amount, but they will buy it as required up to a maximum agreed amount for the agreed price. You don’t do business do you? lol.

Meh, I just feel lucky to live in a country where the right to arm yourself to the teeth isn’t enshrined in the constitution. certainly it (the militarisation of the police) has nothing to do with a calamity they're on the brink of.

No comment on the military hardware being assembled by the 'police'?

Seems rather concerning on the face of it but what would you reasonably expect the Govt to do with army surplus? Lots of ways to look at it but that was the question that came to mind.

I mean, it’s pretty hilarious. on the one hand we have buddha’s stupid thread about bundy the freeloading farmer and his band of armed merry men, and then on the other we have this one where he wets his pants because the government unreasonably believes it necessary to be armed too. quite the intellectual disconnect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back