Roast Conservative, Stubborn or an Idiot? Or all the above?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it a serious question in the title? Then definitely not an idiot. Stubborn would be the most appropriate descriptor of the three I reckon if I was forced to choose one of them.
What concerns me most is this is the 4th year. He came in with a clear, well thought out plan that in year one he would embed his defensive structures, we should be patient because once that was in place it would serve as the foundation for the other things and the balance between defence first and attack would evolve. Most people got on board but now in year 4 has there been enough progress? His defence is still his A game and every year he's been here we've defended better and better to the point where last year we were probably the best defence in the comp, which is great, but where's the evolution we were promised?

You forgot an option, Crazy. Isn’t that what doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is?

Sticking with virtually the same team as last week and expecting them to get it done is insane. Especially if you think Banfield is the man to help you do it.

Maybe I’m insane. I keep coming back to this footy team and expecting a different result and the same nonsense keeps happening.

Why can we all see the way forward but the selection committee can’t? It just makes no sense and I’m afraid when the do finally get the squad right, it’ll be too late.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

hes doing exactly what Adam Simpson did over the past few years, thinking the premiership window is open now when really its not. Our premiership window is the likes of Amiss, Ras, Johnson, seasoned Serong and Brayshaw and even a Treacy. like it or not folks we`re still in a rebuild. Simon Garlik coming out saying x amount of flags in the next few years was a stupid idea, unnecessary pressure on JLo and the coaching staff and unrealistic expecations from us the fans. Get back to basics and play the youth and cut the fat!

He seems to be slow to learn

Longmuir has coached 4 times in round 1 and every time the team has under-performed.

Would love to see him learn from his pre-deason coaching mistakes and actually prepare a team who perform at a higher standard in week 1.

We have always seemed to select conservatively, including during Ross’s tenure. Is there a common denominator on the selection committee?

You forgot an option, Crazy. Isn’t that what doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is?

Players are capable of multiple levels of performance and should your plan require a particular level out of certain players that they are capable of but haven't delivered in the one of one games played so far you should feel entitled to think your plan hasn't been played yet and it's worth trying it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems to be slow to learn

Longmuir has coached 4 times in round 1 and every time the team has under-performed.

Would love to see him learn from his pre-deason coaching mistakes and actually prepare a team who perform at a higher standard in week 1.
"Under-performed" is an interesting take. Hard to really quantify isn't it?

We've played away in every one of those.

Nearly overran Essendon in his very first game as coach.

Next year got beaten by the eventual premiers, Melbourne, by 22 points.

Last year beat Adelaide on their home deck after storming out of the blocks and dominating but not accurate enough (17 shots to 7) to get full reward, getting overtaken, then fighting back to win the game.

This year our preseason seemed pretty impressive and met up an opponent, with their backs against the wall and with a highly experienced coach who's probably tailor-made for just that (and who's likely kept a closer eye than most on Freo over these 3 years, let alone with his links to Montagna).

It'd also be interesting to see what the average age of those sides were, to get a good picture of their performance.

If you look at our best years, then the slide down the ladder it is always
after we have lost an assistant to another club.
The Tigers went out and sorted Hardwick’s deficiencies and left no stone unturned.
If we could get more experience or quality I don’t see that as a negative.
Especially in training, different styles of play, etc.
Some clubs have former coaches in their box, yet we lose off field staff and are
Susceptible to poaching.
Some might not agree with me, but I don’t think Simpson would be a premiership
coach without Mitchell.
You can see the writing on the wall with us, sure we have all the ingredients.
Our talent, list has never been better, but doesn’t mean guaranteed success.
As for poaching, don’t be surprised to see a few guys leave due to not getting
games. Freo are a destination club wink wink.

Why??. Just Why do that JL.? The future 2-4 years is not Banfield, Hughes or even Taberner. We know their ceiling and it is bog average. We selected Sturt, Amiss, Raz, Drizz and Johnson as high draft picks but are not playing them. They are selected as emergencies so there is nothing wrong with their fitness. Play one of them as a sub if you think they can only run out 60%.

Why sub out Taberner and play him this week??. Taberner should be out and Treacy still in.

This week and next week should be the time to run those higher draft picks. You won't see North or WC leaving Sheezel or Ginbey in the 2s.

Too bloody conservative. You said we needed to take the game on but here we have bog average players keeping young potential stars out.

Beyond frustrated at this point. While I understand the notion that is being espoused about not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, the changes just make me want to bang my head against a wall. Tabs keeps his spot but Treacy is out? An underdone Drizzy would be better than the treacle that Hughes served up last week. Still no Sturt? FFS

It'd also be interesting to see what the average age of those sides were, to get a good picture of their performance.
Essendon was a fraction older than Freo.
Melbourne and Adelaide were younger. Melbourne just younger by a month (average)
Saints younger....
Mundy's age would have influenced our average somewhat in the first 3 :)

Essendon was a fraction older than Freo.
Melbourne and Adelaide were younger. Melbourne just younger by a month (average)
Saints younger....
Mundy's age would have influenced our average somewhat in the first 3 :)
It's more our age that's relevant, just as it would inform on any inconsistencies within and between games. The point on Mundy is a good one, as it might be more informative to look at how many in the various age brackets.

His defence is still his A game and every year he's been here we've defended better and better to the point where last year we were probably the best defence in the comp, which is great, but where's the evolution we were promised?
Herein lies my biggest concern.....we lose a couple of key defenders thru injury and the whole thing may unravel very quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back