Contracted Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane Mitchell went above and beyond what you've just said and wasn't promoted. 4-5 AFL games is not enough to earn promotion, especially given we have ample of those small forward types on our list. I can't see him getting any AFL games this year, and wouldn't be surprised if he's not on our list anymore by end of the year.

Kane showed he isn't much more than a good sub, was quite poor in the full games he got. I think this cost him being promoted to the senior list. I think if he plays better for the magpies than he did for the Eagles then he will be a chance to still be around in 2015. Sammy on the other hand has shown he absolutely dominates at state level.

I didn't say he didn't deserve it, he obviously was very good at SANFL level and the coaches think his game can translate well into AFL, but I'm sure they'd have selected Gray over another non-Maggies player even if the other player was slightly better.
Obviously I hope he does well, as I do with all our players, but we'd have to have a pretty horrific run with injuries and he'd have to have a phenomenal year to earn a senior upgrade by the end of this year.

He came second in the Magery medal, at 21, behind an AFL listed player. That means he polled a hell of a lot more votes and played a hell of a lot better footy than every other AFL listed player that spent the season only playing SANFL. He is a great footballer, waiting for his chance to prove it.

He came second in the Magery medal, at 21, behind an AFL listed player. That means he polled a hell of a lot more votes and played a hell of a lot better footy than every other AFL listed player that spent the season only playing SANFL. He is a great footballer, waiting for his chance to prove it.

Ok? I'm not sure if you're reading my replies or not. I'm sure he is a good footballer, but the fact is he is behind quite a few other guys for a best 22 spot at the moment, and will be lucky to get a game at that level. Don't forget that we need an LTI to upgrade him in the first half of the year, and Hinkley has already stated that he fully expects Mitchell to be upgraded and get games this year. And as a rookie, you need to prove you can play at AFL level over a large number of games to be upgraded to the senior list. So there's very little chance he will be upgraded after only a year.

And just polling very well in the Magarey doesn't mean he'll succeed at AFL level, we delisted the current winner, and Brad bloody Symes won one. Mitchell also won the Sandover, which is reasonably on-par with the Magarey so he has those second level runs on the board too.

Ok? I'm not sure if you're reading my replies or not. I'm sure he is a good footballer, but the fact is he is behind quite a few other guys for a best 22 spot at the moment, and will be lucky to get a game at that level. Don't forget that we need an LTI to upgrade him in the first half of the year, and Hinkley has already stated that he fully expects Mitchell to be upgraded and get games this year. And as a rookie, you need to prove you can play at AFL level over a large number of games to be upgraded to the senior list. So there's very little chance he will be upgraded after only a year.

And just polling very well in the Magarey doesn't mean he'll succeed at AFL level, we delisted the current winner, and Brad bloody Symes won one. Mitchell also won the Sandover, which is reasonably on-par with the Magarey so he has those second level runs on the board too.

Yea but by dismissing any chance that he has at being upgraded before the season has already began, because he was a 'token' magpie rookie listing is just ridiculous.
I think he will be upgraded, you think he wont... I guess we will have to wait 6-7mths to find out.

Yea but by dismissing any chance that he has at being upgraded before the season has already began, because he was a 'token' magpie rookie listing is just ridiculous.
I think he will be upgraded, you think he wont... I guess we will have to wait 6-7mths to find out.

Again, I guess you didn't read my post. I stated a few logical reasons as to why he might find it tough to get a senior gig this year that has nothing to do with the fact that he was a 'token' rookie.
And I think you're also confusing two things. He might get promoted to the senior list in the case of multiple simultaneous LTIs, but he won't get a senior upgrade (i.e. off the rookie list and permanently onto the senior list) after only a year unless he plays really good and consistent footy over a large number of AFL games.

Again, I guess you didn't read my post. I stated a few logical reasons as to why he might find it tough to get a senior gig this year that has nothing to do with the fact that he was a 'token' rookie.
And I think you're also confusing two things. He might get promoted to the senior list in the case of multiple simultaneous LTIs, but he won't get a senior upgrade (i.e. off the rookie list and permanently onto the senior list) after only a year unless he plays really good and consistent footy over a large number of AFL games.

And again I think you are missing my point. The fact you are dismissing him without giving him a chance. After seeing him at training Ken and the coaches may think he is next in line. They arent going to come out and say that Kane Mitchell has no hope of playing league this season. Of course they will say they want to see him play a lot more AFL games because it will hopefully drive him to achieve that, but it will also drive players like Gray to prove that they shouldnt be forgotten about.
And who knows... if we loose Gus (ASADA) and either one of Wingard, Hamma, Gray, Ebert through injury... Sam may get a good oportunity to show his worth.
Lets just leave this one alone, and reignite it at season end, with whichever of us is right being able to tell the other 'NANA NA NANA I Was Right!'

I noticed that Gray is not a free agent and contracted for another year. Woot. Our contract situation for next year looks very much under control. I would expect Broady and Jonas to be amongst the next group to sign.

There was a bit of noise that Robbie Gray was a free agent this year. He wasn't on the official 2014 AFL list of free agents.

Robbie will be a free agent at the end of his current contract, ending 2015.

My thoughts
2 Cameron Hitchcock (wait until end of the year)
3 Campbell Heath (wait)
4 Brent Renouf (wait)
5 Matthew Broadbent (3 years)
14 Paul Stewart (1 year)
15 Lewis Stevenson (wait)
17 Tom Clurey (2 years)
18 Kane Cornes (1 year)
22 Mason Shaw (2 years)
25 Domenic Cassisi (Possible retirement or 1 year contract)
30 Sam Colquhoun (3 years)
34 Jarrad Redden (2 years)
36 Jack Hombsch (3 years)
37 Kane Mitchell (wait)
38 Ben Newton (1 year)
40 Aaron Young (1 year)
41 Brendon Ah Chee (wait)
42 Thomas Jonas (4 years)
44 Tom Logan (Usual 1 year contract)
46 Sam Gray (wait)
47 Sam Russell (wait)

Agree with all of this, except Hoon, I would wait on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he got delisted I would legit cry.

Not saying delist, I would just wait more towards the end of the year for length of contract. Definitely would give him one either way.

May even be 4 years if he plays well enough.

Agree with all of this, except Hoon, I would wait on this one.

Whhaaattt??? The kid is a legitamate AFL standard player right now, knows how to find the ball and use it, and was underage when taken. Hardly put a foot wrong in the back half of last year and will play plenty of footy again this year. I think he will be a ten year player for us. Two year contract at a minimum and lock him in sooner rather than later.

Whhaaattt??? The kid is a legitamate AFL standard player right now, knows how to find the ball and use it, and was underage when taken. Hardly put a foot wrong in the back half of last year and will play plenty of footy again this year. I think he will be a ten year player for us. Two year contract at a minimum and lock him in sooner rather than later.

Not disagreeing with him as a player, hopefully the following post above clarifies.

Chrizzt How did you like Sammy Grays game today :p not bad for a token upgrade :p

Thought I'd see you post here, simply because even though I stated my argument half a dozen times, you still weren't able to comprehend it.
I'll re-state once again, even though you clearly have no interest in understanding my original point: I said that you can't just assume that Gray will be upgraded to the senior list at the end of the year. Mitchell worked hard last year and has some really good games, and still didn't get an upgrade.
Gray was very good yesterday, fantastic. However he'll need to pull multiple performances like that against team that aren't bottom 4 to be upgraded end of year.
I like the kid, never said I didn't, and I'll be more than happy if he contributes well at AFL level. But that had nothing to do with my original comment.

Now I'm going to sit back, wait for you to not read my post at all, and continue carrying on like you are correct. Mules with spinning wheels and all that...

Thought I'd see you post here, simply because even though I stated my argument half a dozen times, you still weren't able to comprehend it.
I'll re-state once again, even though you clearly have no interest in understanding my original point: I said that you can't just assume that Gray will be upgraded to the senior list at the end of the year. Mitchell worked hard last year and has some really good games, and still didn't get an upgrade.
Gray was very good yesterday, fantastic. However he'll need to pull multiple performances like that against team that aren't bottom 4 to be upgraded end of year.
I like the kid, never said I didn't, and I'll be more than happy if he contributes well at AFL level. But that had nothing to do with my original comment.

Now I'm going to sit back, wait for you to not read my post at all, and continue carrying on like you are correct. Mules with spinning wheels and all that...

Entertaining conversation this, and a good dilemma to have ;)

I think Gray showed more hurt factor and good disposal in his one game than Mitchell has in any of his AFL games, but I agree he has to show that level of performance or consistently present the 'threat' of it in the opportunities he gets, which will probably be limited by Gus' return. The other promising aspect is he started his work early, not waiting for junk time. Must be looking at a few super-sub gigs like Young has been (and the Hoon last year). Come straight on, get the pill and use it well. Until Redden gets back.

Mitchell has strengths and weaknesses and may or may not manage to fix the weaknesses, that's what the rookie list is for. Gray doesn't push Mitchell down the order (in terms of how he played last year), Polec and White do. Great that he gets the opportunity to work on his inside game for the maggies, but I think Newton (and Moore) have him covered on that front. Unless something drastic happens I suspect Mitchell is more likely to be offered a 3rd rookie year if he wants it than an upgrade.

It's only one game against a 'broken' opposition but Gray looks the more likely to be upgraded at this point. If we were going to upgrade either that is. Even more likely that Gray gets upgraded if Young should choose to leave for more opportunity (which I hope he doesn't, because his time is coming as well IMO).

Umm... im not sure you know what you are supposedly arguing. You have said he won't get any AFL games and won't be on the list next year, he was a token magpie upgrade, and Mitchell is first in line for an upgrade...

After all, I said I think he will be promoted to a senior spot at the end of the year, if he is able to prove in 4-5 games his worth... So far he has done that in just one game... yes he needs to do it again and again in a few more games, but after this weekend, I still think at seasons end he will get promoted.

Kane Mitchell went above and beyond what you've just said and wasn't promoted. 4-5 AFL games is not enough to earn promotion, especially given we have ample of those small forward types on our list. I can't see him getting any AFL games this year, and wouldn't be surprised if he's not on our list anymore by end of the year.

I think it's almost become a token 'upgrade Magpies player to rookie list' thing. I'm not saying that he is out of contention for a spot at AFL level, just that he's starting from a way back and has a lot of others in front of him, so he'll basically need probably 2 simultaneous LT injuries to those forward/mid players to be a chance. Additionally, Hinkley has already said that he expects Mitchell to play a good number of games this year at AFL, so he's first in line for an upgrade.

It's very rare for a 'new' player to be rookied, then come straight on to the main list after a year, particularly one where they only play a few games.

Umm... im not sure you know what you are supposedly arguing. You have said he won't get any AFL games and won't be on the list next year, he was a token magpie upgrade, and Mitchell is first in line for an upgrade...

After all, I said I think he will be promoted to a senior spot at the end of the year, if he is able to prove in 4-5 games his worth... So far he has done that in just one game... yes he needs to do it again and again in a few more games, but after this weekend, I still think at seasons end he will get promoted.

Umm... no. And that's some nice selective quoting you've done there, Rucci. I said that he'd need two simultaneous LTIs to get promoted to the senior list, which is what has happened with Redden and Shaw. I also stated that he'd need two simultaneous injuries to mid/fwds to get a spot, which is exactly what happened in Monfries and Wingard missing.
So basically, the stars have aligned for him to get a spot, and congratulations to him for doing well enough at SANFL to earn it, then playing a very good game on saturday to help. However that is still only one game in a complete thrashing of a bottom dwelling side. Gray was lucky enough to play a full game up forward when it was basically raining footballs for our forwards. Mitchell had a bunch of 12-15 possession games and kicking goals starting as a sub, so the fact that he didn't get upgraded shows just how tough the competition is to keep/earn a senior list spot.
To think that he has earned a senior spot after one game is just laughable. Yes, he may well get one come end of year, but he'll need to repeat those results over several games, and against harder opposition, to get a promotion after one year in the system. There's a reason why it's taken him until now to get on to an AFL list, after all.

Now, that's the 6th or 7th time I've had to repeat my argument, so I might just copy and paste this post 15 or 20 times in the hope that some of it sinks in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back