Contracted Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Still have several important players to re-sign

Broadbent, Clurey, Shaw, Redden, Hombsch & Newton.

I hope Mitchell is contracted & upgraded, and Cornes gets a new 1 year deal

3 KPP still unsigned, has my anxiety levels up

Clurey worries me the most. There'd be a few clubs who would offer him more opportunity and would be closer to home.

Mason Shaw is the one that worries me the most. He's our best KPF prospect not in the current 22 and the Dockers are keen to replace Pavlich especially seeing as Gumbleton can't stay on the park.

Hoon and Young re-sign for 2 years so these blokes are left.
2014 (My Predictions)
2 Cameron Hitchcock (GONE)
3 Campbell Heath (GONE)
4 Brent Renouf (rookie) (GONE)
5 Matthew Broadbent (3 years)
14 Paul Stewart** (1 year)
15 Lewis Stevenson (Risky)
17 Tom Clurey (2 years)
18 Kane Cornes** (1 year)
22 Mason Shaw (2 years)
25 Domenic Cassisi** (Retired)
34 Jarrad Redden (1 year)
36 Jack Hombsch (3 years)
37 Kane Mitchell (rookie) (1 year, upgraded)
38 Ben Newton (1 year)
41 Brendon Ah Chee (Risky)
44 Tom Logan** (Risky)
46 Sam Gray (rookie) (1 year)
47 Sam Russell (rookie) (Risky)

Of that list I would agree with most...
Definitely gone are
Hitchy
Renouf

sitting 50/50 in the stay gone (and possibly used for a trade?) are:
Heath
Stevenson
Ah Chee

Cassisi
Logan

these two won't be traded but depending on if we need an extra spot on the list may not get a new 1 yr deal.

Players we should re-sign are:
Stewart
Kornes
Redden
Mitchell
Newton
Russell
(1yr on rookie list doesn't deserve to be dropped)
Gray

Players we need to bend over backwards to get signed up are:
Broadbent
Clurey
Shaw
Hombsch

Im confident Cassisi, Logan, Broady, Hombsch, Kornes, Redden, Gray and Russell won't be looking for deals elsewhere or to move on for more opportunities.
The others I dont know well enough to know if they would be jumping to stay with the club, or looking elsewhere.

I guess Clurey and Shaw could leave and maybe become a Benny Jacobs at another club.

Or they can stay and be trained by Hinkley and Burgess..

Mmmm tough call. I know if it was me I would want to stay at the current number 1 club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

435736-sam-baulderstone.jpg

This guy is a better ruck than Renouf.

I understand people wanting to keep him on as a depth ruck, we need a big body in case of emergency and we can't realistically expect that guy to be a star. Unfortunately a guy as injury prone as Renouf isn't good enough to even be a reliable depth ruck. No good in having a break glass in case of injury back-up when that back-up is always injured.

I hear you, and do agree. But we had our chance to rookie someone like Cameron Wood... If there's no plug and play types like that around, we're stuck with Roofy for another year I reckon.

We wont get rid of Renouf.
Given how difficult it has been for us to get a ready made ruck in, and unless we have another coup with trading etc, I suspect we may still end up with Renouf on the rookie list for one more year. This is particularly so given Redden's injuries. If we draft a young ruck, it will many years before they will be ready.

I hear you, and do agree. But we had our chance to rookie someone like Cameron Wood... If there's no plug and play types like that around, we're stuck with Roofy for another year I reckon.
We'll probably have another chance to nab Wood seeing as he'll likely taken off their rookie list in Carlton's inevitable big time clean out, not saying he'd be worth looking at even to replace Renouf but he'll be available.

I'd be incredibly shocked if we traded him considering how much responsibility we gave him last year and how well he handled it.

I dont want to trade him BUT i also wouldnt be suprised if he asked to go. he would be a walk up start to most teams. Arguably should be in ours over someone like dom.

I dont want to trade him BUT i also wouldnt be suprised if he asked to go. he would be a walk up start to most teams. Arguably should be in ours over someone like dom.

Well, no, because he's no where near a like for like replacement for Dom.
But I get your general point. Unfortunately for Cam, it looks like Hombschy has taken his spot as that third tall. Given the amount of height we already have in the back 6 it's pretty hard to fit Cam in. I'd imagine Clurey will be Carlile's long term replacement, so not sure where that leaves Cam.

Well, no, because he's no where near a like for like replacement for Dom.
But I get your general point. Unfortunately for Cam, it looks like Hombschy has taken his spot as that third tall. Given the amount of height we already have in the back 6 it's pretty hard to fit Cam in. I'd imagine Clurey will be Carlile's long term replacement, so not sure where that leaves Cam.
2nd round pick from the Bulldogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back