Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be more government advice on what people can do to help boost their immune systems. In the beginning it was all about hygiene which I though was great but any messaging around simple things one can do to improve your health hasn't even raised a mention.

Especially with obesity being a strong risk factor and the growing (no pun intended) number of Australians who are now falling into the obese category.

There should be more government advice on what people can do to help boost their immune systems. In the beginning it was all about hygiene which I though was great but any messaging around simple things one can do to improve your health hasn't even raised a mention.

Especially with obesity being a strong risk factor and the growing (no pun intended) number of Australians who are now falling into the obese category.
So no more yumbos?

Lol yeah dreaming. We'll just lock you campaigners down instead

So no more yumbos?
All in moderation! I think people will have to start taking some responsibilities for their own health at some point during this whole thing, those with health issues have been largely spared from any real threat so I'd hope that those people would be doing all they can to help themselves.

At some point the virus will be out in the community again and relying purely on the vaccine to offer all the protection you need would be irresponsible imo.

But that's not the argument that was being made, was it?

People are saying "oh well, if they die, they're not really dying of covid, they're dying with covid, because they're dying of comorbidities."

They're not arguing; "only old people are dying". That was moved on from a while back. Now it's "oh, well yes younger people are dying, but only because of comorbidities."

Shift those goalposts.

Given the variety of problems covid causes, it may even be that covid caused the comorbities.

I mean, if you die of covid, what does that mean. Lungs seize up with pneumonia? Heart gives out? Multiple organ failure?

And people then say, but he died of heart failure, not covid. She died of pneumonia, not covid.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

But that's not the argument that was being made, was it?

People are saying "oh well, if they die, they're not really dying of covid, they're dying with covid, because they're dying of comorbidities."

They're not arguing; "only old people are dying". That was moved on from a while back. Now it's "oh, well yes younger people are dying, but only because of comorbidities."

Shift those goalposts.
Whose shifting goalposts? The stats quoted on Covid deaths with comorbidity didn't distinguish by age, and neither have I. I've never said "only old people are dying" but the age profile has been majorly skewed towards them all over the world.

The previously healthy young victims who've lost decades of quality life are outliers.

I'm curious what stay-at-home orders did to obesity rates. I fell into the overweight category for the first time during it (since lost thankfully)

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this but suppose I fly to Sydney, then I travel by car to Tamworth. I'm due to return home the next day but due to an outbreak in Sydney I'm forced to self isolate for 14 days in Tamworth. IS there any level of support for people trapped in another state and forced to self isolate particularly if you didn't have the funds to stay in a hotel and pay for extra car rental.

I'm curious what stay-at-home orders did to obesity rates. I fell into the overweight category for the first time during it (since lost thankfully)

Saw a brief headline on news this morning that said 40% of Canadians have put on 6-10 pounds since the start of the pandemic. We never really had stay at home orders though. It was 61% for the US.

My old man has a health issue. He could easily be in strife if he got it. He’s not that old.

I guess it’s just expected that he would die anyway now, going by some of the twisted logic about people with pre existing conditions some people have.

Another young friend has a condition which he can easily live a long life with but Covid could easily affect him horribly.

This idea that these people dying are expendable or their numbers aren’t as important is disgusting and disgraceful.

Yep. I know of a two year old who died. Poor little guy had down syndrome so his immune system couldn't cope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So no more yumbos?
Even without the governments advice or Covid there shouldnt be a Mcdonalds, HJs, KFC etc every 500m. Australia is turning into a big fat sack of lard. Add booze availability to this too. It s**t me off that take away and alcohol were considered essential services, yet allowing simple pathways for Australians home was not.

"Abhishek Sonthalia runs Gaura Travel out of Melbourne.
The company has repatriated 12,000 Indians from Australia under an agreement with Singapore Airlines.
The plane cabins have sat empty during each leg out of Delhi.
Mr Sonthalia said he could have easily brought back stranded Australians on the return flights, with ticket prices of about $1000."

Could have been a lot less people stranded in and around India. Government wouldnt even allow flights coming to Australia to have passengers, forced them to fly empty to Australia to pick up Indians who were leaving.

Given the variety of problems covid causes, it may even be that covid caused the comorbities.

I mean, if you die of covid, what does that mean. Lungs seize up with pneumonia? Heart gives out? Multiple organ failure?

And people then say, but he died of heart failure, not covid. She died of pneumonia, not covid.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see Comorbity as something someone has before Covid which is most likely going to be the thing that kills them soon enough that there is a life expectancy in place. Seeing as the huge amount of people who die are 70+, they all have some form of comorbidity but they need to be broken down into categories. Common sense needs to be used though.

Someone dies with Covid who has stage 3 emphysema and wouldnt have had much more than a 6 month to 1 year life expectancy at best. They would need to rest walking to the toilet and probably have oxygen in their home. I would call this a Comorbidity. Someone has a heart condition that is easily lived with for 10 more years, I wouldnt call that a comorbidity.

I gained weight just during my 2 week quarantine. Its a valid point, and one of the many things that would need to be covered in a comprehensive study to determine how healthy long lockdowns are as a measure.

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this but suppose I fly to Sydney, then I travel by car to Tamworth. I'm due to return home the next day but due to an outbreak in Sydney I'm forced to self isolate for 14 days in Tamworth. IS there any level of support for people trapped in another state and forced to self isolate particularly if you didn't have the funds to stay in a hotel and pay for extra car rental.

I dont think there is, but not 100% sure. Government isnt taking any measures to help people regarding travel from what I have seen. They are cutting pensions for the elderly who have been stuck overseas longer than 6 months because they havent entered australia for a while. Telling people with no working rights to apply for credit cards in the country they are in before giving the little $2000 loans. I even read something about FIFO workers who had to quarantine after their shift finished last year.

Wasn't great for mine, just quietly.

I live in one of the locales that people liked to travel to to exercise - frequently figured in the "look at all these selfish people" images in MSM and socials. So there were plenty of coppers about checking IDs for the 5km rule. Which I parlayed into sitting on the couch watching Netflix because going for a walk was too much hassle.

Which, given it's a lovely morning without restrictions I should head off for a noice walk rather than BF posting...

"Abhishek Sonthalia runs Gaura Travel out of Melbourne.
The company has repatriated 12,000 Indians from Australia under an agreement with Singapore Airlines.
The plane cabins have sat empty during each leg out of Delhi.
Mr Sonthalia said he could have easily brought back stranded Australians on the return flights, with ticket prices of about $1000."

Could have been a lot less people stranded in and around India. Government wouldnt even allow flights coming to Australia to have passengers, forced them to fly empty to Australia to pick up Indians who were leaving.
I would say it is because of the number of quarantine places available.

I see Comorbity as something someone has before Covid which is most likely going to be the thing that kills them soon enough that there is a life expectancy in place. Seeing as the huge amount of people who die are 70+, they all have some form of comorbidity but they need to be broken down into categories. Common sense needs to be used though.

Someone dies with Covid who has stage 3 emphysema and wouldnt have had much more than a 6 month to 1 year life expectancy at best. They would need to rest walking to the toilet and probably have oxygen in their home. I would call this a Comorbidity. Someone has a heart condition that is easily lived with for 10 more years, I wouldnt call that a comorbidity.
A comorbidity is a condition that is already placing considerable strain on a person's immune system. Also, many medications, while controlling the disease, can further weaken the body's natural defences. Covid more easily breaches the immune system, which has no natural defence against it, being a "new" disease. Yes, the person may live longer without covid entering their body but it proves too overwhelming. Plus it doesn't just enter the damaged heart, or the site of the cancer, but invades all parts of the body including lungs, brain and bloodstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back