Cotchin 'unnecessary contact with injured player'

Remove this Banner Ad

Most people suggesting Cotchin will get off for the initial bump on Young. I have no problem with it. But the following action looks to me very similar to what Joel Selwood was suspended for in 2012:
video.heraldsun.com.au/v/208768/Trent-Cotchin-could-be-in-strife (can't put the URL in as it embeds)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-08-13/full-mrp-report-round-20
Joel Selwood, Geelong, has been charged with a level one misconduct offence in that he made unnecessary or unreasonable contact with an injured player in Adam Selwood, West Coast, during the first quarter of the round 20 match between the Geelong and West Coast, played at Patersons Stadium on Friday August 10, 2012.

In summary, he can accept a reprimand and 84 points towards his future record with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the West Coast Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and body contact (one point). This is a total of four activation points, resulting in a classification of a level one offence, drawing a reprimand and 80 demerit points towards his future record. He has an existing bad record of four matches suspended within the last three years, increasing the penalty by 40 per cent to 112 demerit points and a one-match sanction. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to a reprimand and 84 points towards his future record.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-08-13/full-mrp-report-round-20

I cant see how cotchin can get off for that bump on young. It was no where near the ball. He didnt see it coming and he used more force than rocky did on mitchell. (Maybe im saying this cause we have the tiges this weekend.)

Yes and no. Selwood had to get up and walk over to his brother to push him. Also, the trainer who was about to attend to him had to wait until Joel had finished pushing him.

Cotchin was on top of the player, having just tackled him, so he might be able to argue that he didn't know he was injured at the time. He didn't have to go out of his way to push him.

I don't think these are exactly the same situations, although I wouldn't be surprised if Cotchin was cited. I think he could argue that he didn't know, but we'll see.

We are talking about the 'rugby' tackle he laid, aren't we? I don't remember a strike.

He ran past Young, gave him a hit to the guts, Young went down, Cotchin went down on top of him to call him a softie I assume, a bit of push and shove on the ground.

Meanwhile the ball was far away... and they said McCaffer kept Cotchin to 13 touches... he kept himself out of it in that circumstance.

He ran past Young, gave him a hit to the guts, Young went down, Cotchin went down on top of him to call him a softie I assume, a bit of push and shove on the ground.

Meanwhile the ball was far away... and they said McCaffer kept Cotchin to 13 touches... he kept himself out of it in that circumstance.

Im glad im not the only one to c this

Holy ****. I wonder if rocky played for a vic club he may have gotten off aswell.

Sorry, I have my incidents mixed up. Please ignore...

Most people suggesting Cotchin will get off for the initial bump on Young. I have no problem with it. But the following action looks to me very similar to what Joel Selwood was suspended for in 2012:
My mistake. The incident I was thinking of (which reminded me at the time of the Selwood one) was in the Giants vs Doggies. Griffen was the player crunched in a very good rugby style tackle. Not sure who the tackler was, but he gave him some afters when Griffen was down.
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/4/gws-v-wb
At 4.30 in the Game Highlights Video. This wasn't looked at by the MRP, neither as a nasty coathanger in the same game.

Most people suggesting Cotchin will get off for the initial bump on Young. I have no problem with it. But the following action looks to me very similar to what Joel Selwood was suspended for in 2012

Wow.

It's two years on and you're still whinging about the MRP's decision to reprimand a Geelong player for "interfering with an injured opponent".

Fair enough, if someone had already started a thread about Cotchin bumping Young and you decided to post this, but to actually start a thread about it seems a bit childish.

a) Selwood wasn't suspended. He was given a reprimand. You're exaggeration of the penalty suggests a degree of persecution complex.

b) Why would you start a thread about this if you think it was bullshit for the MRP to reprimand Selwood back in 2012? Are you really whining about the tribunal inconsistency over incidents that were two seasons apart? We're lucky if we get consistency 2 weeks apart!!

c) In 2012, Mark Fraser's reasoned it was a heavy bump which could've easily broken ribs or caused a concussion - in those circumstances, Selwood owed a duty of care not to interfere with his downed opponent (his brother of all people.) Cotchin landed and a low-impact round-arm punch into Young's midriff. No chance of any serious injury emanating from his actions, so these two incidents were not the same.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back