Cousins or Carr....??

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I'd select the one who has provided long, excellent service to our club, has been a part of our entire AFL journey through the good times and the bad and has learnt from past errors over the one who is an apparently recovering meth addict who has a questionable level of remorse for his errors.

i'd select the one who is a better player, and its not peter burgoyne. if peter had learnt from past errors, then why at the age of 30 is he still going out and getting pissed during the season consequently affecting his performance and position in the team.

To me the question now would be more like, Thurstans/Surjan/PB v Cousins.

I think we are definitely getting Carr so we would have to delist one more to get Cousins. ......
It would be crazy to delist a player under contract at this stage of the draft to recruit anyone let alone Cousins. I am fairly sure that only uncontracted players can be delisted between now and the PSD anyway.

i'd select the one who is a better player, and its not peter burgoyne. if peter had learnt from past errors, then why at the age of 30 is he still going out and getting pissed during the season consequently affecting his performance and position in the team.

Well then, it depends on the indiscretions you are referring to.;)

There is a world of difference in Peter B's issues than Ben Cousins'.

I think it is insulting for a Port supporter to be throwing indiscriminate mud at one of our players like this, tbh.

As I posted earlier in this long thread, some folks will swing for the high risk option and ignore the downside to that risk, others will be more prudent. It is not a right nor wrong issue, but more to do with how you view risk vs reward.

Frankly I regard Cousins as a high risk strategy that is much more likely to cause damage than to help us win a flag. But, hey, that is my opinion.

I think it is insulting for a Port supporter to be throwing indiscriminate mud at one of our players like this, tbh.

nothing indiscriminate about it, ask the leadership group. Peter B has underachieved for a player with his talents. his off field issues are a direct result of this.

the risk with cousins are potentially minimised:

you draft him for nothing he recovers plays good footy - win

you draft him for nothing he f's up - put him on long term injury list, elevate rookie listed player who is worth the pick used for cousins onto senior list.

So, if Cousins apologises without the hint of a smile...99% of the old women on this forum would be placated.

Interesting.

He could apologise till the cows come home and it won't change my opinion. I'd be more more concerned about seeing some greater indication that he is back on track - the fact that he didn't play any competitive football this year and that any club that have looked into taking him having run away like a scalded cat both seem to suggest the risk of him crashing and burning is very real.

I'd much rather Josh Carr tbh.

So, if Cousins apologises without the hint of a smile...99% of the old women on this forum would be placated.

Interesting.

So heres Benny with a smile then...nice...very nice.

Football is not his only talent..he makes a great model.

0,,6130268,00.jpg

0,,6130268,00.jpg

Interesting.

The drugs are secondary for mine.

Fact is, come Round 1 next year, in footy terms he's an old man who's barely played in two and a half years.

People are only getting a hard-on cause he's Ben Cousins, and way back when, he was an elite footballer.

Any thoughts of him being anything to close to what he was are fanciful bunkum - now throw in the whole drug issue and it's just a massive no.

I think people over rate the list of footballers playing today's game, yes the good is very good but the last 10 are over paid parkland players. Ben Cousins still at his age right now would run rings around the last 10 players on most clubs list, in Melbourne's case you could just about increase that number to the whole list.Sadly Football now is all about the big $ and people making sure there job is safe,the thing is if Cousins had tested postivie by the AFL there would be a good chance he would still be playing now like many other drug cheats are .
Ben Cousins is a failure of the system
Josh Carr will be a failure if we draft him

All this talk about marketing, boosting our profile, increasing our bad boy image etc is bunkum.

We should be basing our recruiting decisions on maximizing our chances of winning premierships and only on winning premierships. Using that reasoning we should steer well clear of Benny Boy.

The drugs are secondary for mine.

Fact is, come Round 1 next year, in footy terms he's an old man who's barely played in two and a half years.

People are only getting a hard-on cause he's Ben Cousins, and way back when, he was an elite footballer.

Any thoughts of him being anything to close to what he was are fanciful bunkum - now throw in the whole drug issue and it's just a massive no.
There are no prizes for second, DT.

What a great word, I think it encapsulates this whole Cousins claptrap (other good'un) quite nicely.

Josh Carr was a 50/50 chance to be delisted this year by Fremantle, i have no problems admitting being wrong but Carr is a big backward step.

If you quote stats in any argument make sure that you can substantiate it - you have absolutely no idea that Josh was a 50/50 chance of being delisted this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.... Ben Cousins is a failure of the system ....
Of course he is. It is not his fault he is a meth addict, it is the "systems" fault :rolleyes:

Josh Carr was a 50/50 chance to be delisted this year by Fremantle ......
Source?

That is certainly not the impression Freo was giving publicly.

Josh Carr was a 50/50 chance to be delisted this year by Fremantle, i have no problems admitting being wrong but Carr is a big backward step.

trk.asp

Midfielder Josh Carr defecting from Freo to Port

Article from: November 05, 2008 12:00pm

TOUGH premiership midfielder Josh Carr is back at Port Adelaide - and seemingly there to stay.
Delisted by Fremantle on Friday, Carr yesterday trained with the Power for the first time since Grand Final eve 2004.

"And already some players are walking taller," Port football operations manager Peter Rohde noted. "A lot of our older blokes who know him and have played with him are talking up the fact he's training with us again. "

Midfielder Josh Carr defecting from Freo to Port

..... Delisted by Fremantle on Friday ......
Are you trying to say that Freo delisted Carr because he was not a required player?

If Freo delisted Carr because he was not a required player why was Mark Harvey so upset about him going to Port? Why offer him a contract extension?

.... Fremantle, who offered Carr a contract extension earlier in the year ...... coach Mark Harvey has declared that Josh Carr was a required player at the club ..... Carr's decision to leave Fremantle was a bitter blow to the Dockers ........

Carr's Port Adelaide career was as overrated as his Freo career is underrated.

Yes he was an aggressive and fearless in-and-under ballwinner at Alberton, but he was hardly prolific and far from an elite midfielder.

At Freo he evolved into less of a sacrificial lamb slash battering ram and more of a ballwinner (his 2006 was superb) before his own impact lessened in 2007-8 (his Glendinning Medal for BOG in the second Derby notwithstanding) as Freo tumbled back into mediocrity.

Bar some shabby angry pills-form earlier this year that culminated in his suspension for kicking Ablett, he still performed solidly, getting his usual 15-20 touches and the odd goal while treading water at a club he didn't want to be at.

At just 28/29 and back 'home' (with, you'd assume, a happier homelife if the homesick wife story is to be believed - I just said 'home' a lot hey) there is no reason why he can't play 40+ really good games for us for the rest of his career similar to Dimma.

His Brother was dumped last year and the club was as good as a 50/50 chance to dump him specially after the Geelong game when harvey came out in public and blasted him. He is part of the old like Farmer that has been swept away from last year.Living in Fremantle i know many long term members that had all said this was going to be his last year as he was not worth the $400,000k price tag.
Maybe in your nest post you can give us all a update on Camel back racing in Qatar

Yeah I bet this is after he announced he was going to be leaving... if you've read the Freo board they rate him a tad under Hitler as history's biggest monster.

Bailey has said the Dees will go with youth in the PSD.

He wouldn't lie about that, would he?
You have to put Bailey's statement in context. He was being asked about drafting Cousins. Carr is 2 years younger than Cousins and "youth" is relative :p :)

Carr.

Cousins is 31, hasn't played footy for essentially two seasons and has incredibly dodgy hamstrings.

Don't imagine Cousins as he was, imagine him as he is now - a 31 yr old washed up ex (?) drug addict with chronic injury problems. Do not want.

Cousins is 30..31 june NEXT year..hamstrings not that dodgy.

Not quite sure where you got that one from. He was our Vice captain and captained the team for the last 2 or 3 weeks when Pav was out injured. Was he worth whatever he was being paid - more than likely not, but given every other mid we had retired during the season, I don't think there's too much chance he would have been delisted.

240volt is way off target with that claim.

This from July 08:-
http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/harvey-and-williams-in-headon-carr-clash-20080709-3ceb.html

Having lost one premiership player already this week, Dockers coach Mark Harvey has angrily signalled his intentions not to lose another, launching a stinging broadside at Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams in the process.

On the day Peter Bell announced he was calling an immediate halt to his 286-game career on Monday, Williams was singing the praises of Josh Carr - sending a non-too subtle message to the out of contract former Port star in the process.

Today, Harvey said while he was intending to talk to Bell about a coaching role at the Dockers, there would be no such dialogue with Williams - and that he should shut up altogether.

"We might be starting to see him move into some of the form that we know he can play up to," Harvey said.​

This from September 1
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24272467-19742,00.html

On the Carr issue, Fremantle has lost control of an increasingly bizarre script that has been playing out for months.

On Saturday evening the club learned Carr, 28, wanted out of Fremantle - 83 games after he left the Power's 2004 premiership celebrations to return to Western Australia to join his older brother Matthew.

Carr is out of contract and, despite the Dockers declaring him "a required player and key element of Fremantle's plans for (next year)", the reality is he is finished with Fremantle.​

And this from October 10
http://news.realfooty.com.au/sport/carr-in-afl-limbo-after-no-deal-struck-20081010-4y9u.html

Josh Carr's AFL future remains in limbo after Port Adelaide failed to offer Fremantle a deal for the out-of-contract 28-year-old during trade week.

Fremantle, who offered Carr a contract extension earlier in the year, were notified by the 188-game veteran after the season that he wanted to be traded back to Port Adelaide where he started his career.

But the Dockers' hopes of securing compensation for Carr during trade week was dealt a blow when Port Adelaide announced they would not table an offer for the ageing midfielder.​

Remove this Banner Ad

Back