Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the emotion shown from their supporters was over their teams position as much as it was about Kohli getting out for sfa yet again, for some reason they care as much about 1-2 idolised players performing as the whole team winning.

I don't understand the way they build up their cricket stars as demigods, Virat is a very good player but vastly overrated when they try to compare him to Sachin who is a once in a generation player.
Yurav singh....now there is a guy who rode the gravy train ...same with surav ganguly...

These guys came from rich familys ...with alot of influence...

But the way they carried on the field you could tell they all about themselves...

I don't think the emotion shown from their supporters was over their teams position as much as it was about Kohli getting out for sfa yet again, for some reason they care as much about 1-2 idolised players performing as the whole team winning.

I don't understand the way they build up their cricket stars as demigods, Virat is a very good player but vastly overrated when they try to compare him to Sachin who is a once in a generation player.

The indians reverence of their cricketers, and in fact test cricketers in general was summed up by Dean Jones in an interview shown on fox a year or two ago.
He had been taken to hospital in Madras suffering from dehydration, and according to Deano as soon as the doctors and nurses knew there was an international cricketer in their midst they abandoned a road accident victim, and they all flocked around him.

Jones said something along the lines of ` ! hope the poor bugger survived. '

.... I don't understand the way they build up their cricket stars as demigods, Virat is a very good player but vastly overrated when they try to compare him to Sachin who is a once in a generation player.
I can understand the Kohli passion, he gives them some aggro and passion unlike the listless leadership of MS Dohni. But Kohli's effort last night was not the stuff needed to become an enduring hero.

I think Im going to barrack for the Kiwis on Sunday. I will be supporting Vettori and McCullum doing well at the very least. great servants to NZ and world cricket. I want McCullum to get about 125 because you then know its going to be a close contest.

McCullum has changed NZ cricket test and the shorter form. He captains like an Australian not timid like most other NZ captains. Stephen Flemming was pretty innovative but he knew he had limited artillery, so innovation rather than aggression was his style. But McCullum is like no other NZ leader. He does have the advantage that NZ finally has some decent artillery to back him up.

I just wonder if the Kiwis have already played their final. That win over South Africa was about as emotional as you can get, and I can't help thinking about how they'll be able to back up from that. The MCG is a cauldron, and if you've never played there before, it must be an intimidating place to visit - never mind the unique pressure that comes with playing in your first World Cup Final. I hope it's a close contest, but I can't see the Aussies losing this one.

I also wonder if Warner will do a Gilchrist. Gilly had a quiet semi final in 2007, but exploded in the final - maybe Warner can follow in Gilly's footsteps on Sunday.

Hawthorn have won 3 prelim finals by less than a kick and won 2 GFs. Geelong won by 5pts in 2007 and then belted us. We won by 6 pts and won well in 2004 GF. The crowies in 1997, the list goes on and on. The Kiwis start as underdogs so if they dont win, whilst disappointed, it wont be unexpected.

That's why I want McCullum to make 125 or so - because if he does, its game on.

Hawthorn have won 3 prelim finals by less than a kick and won 2 GFs. Geelong won by 5pts in 2007 and then belted us. We won by 6 pts and won well in 2004 GF. The crowies in 1997, the list goes on and on. The Kiwis start as underdogs so if they dont win, whilst disappointed, it wont be unexpected.

That's why I want McCullum to make 125 or so - because if he does, its game on.
Well I certainly don't want a final like 1999, when we smashed the living daylights out of the Pakis. We may not see another World Cup Final in Australia for another 20 years, so let's make it a good one.

mccallum will make single figures caught at third man, or maybe deep sqaure legish, starc will destroy them. if we bowl first i fear it will be a shocker of a world cup final. starc (6 wickets) man of the match.
been looking forward to facing new zealand for a while now.

And if he doesnt make single figures your theory is dead?
no. they wont be able to slap around our attack on a hard bouncy wicket on a bigger oval like they have been to weaker attacks on their tiny ovals.
if they beat us, fair enough, they will be the better team and will deserve it, but i think i might get a bit ugly for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're a totally different bowling proposition than anything they've faced so far.

In a tournament dominated by batsmen, Starc, Johnson and Hazlewood will again be the difference.

New Zealand batters will wonder why they keep getting caught on the boundary...and then realise the MCG boundaries are 20m longer....

I have said it all along much to the jibes of some people on here that we would win this world cup in a canter from the start.....

We scored 328 last match and apparently that still wasnt enough according to the experts lololol...this is without any of our big guns firing warner and maxwell..if Finch wasnt such a selfish flog batting Mark Taylor style we would have gone close to 400....

If we lose this it will be the biggest freaking choke in cricket history...our batting line up is better our bowling line up is better ...we have a better fielding unit and we are playing in our backyard....

We should not lose.

I just wonder if the Kiwis have already played their final. That win over South Africa was about as emotional as you can get, and I can't help thinking about how they'll be able to back up from that. The MCG is a cauldron, and if you've never played there before, it must be an intimidating place to visit - never mind the unique pressure that comes with playing in your first World Cup Final. I hope it's a close contest, but I can't see the Aussies losing this one.

I also wonder if Warner will do a Gilchrist. Gilly had a quiet semi final in 2007, but exploded in the final - maybe Warner can follow in Gilly's footsteps on Sunday.
They got lucky i thought..easy dropped catch easy runouts .....and most importantly duckworth lewis boofing South Africa again...

I would have been more nervous facing South Africa than New Zealand...

New Zealnd have beaten us they have been great this world cup....I would be very surprised if they roll us for 150

Last edited:
They got lucky i thought..easy dropped catch easy runouts .....and most importantly duckworth lewis boofing South Africa again...

I would have been more nervous facing South Africa than New Zealand...

New Zealnd have beaten us they have been great this world cup....I would be very surprised if they roll us for 150
Well there won't be any need for Duckworth Lewis in Melbourne tomorrow - sunny and 23C. Ricky Ponting said today that he can't see a weakness in this Australian team. It'll take an extraordinary performance to beat us.

Well there won't be any need for Duckworth Lewis in Melbourne tomorrow - sunny and 23C. Ricky Ponting said today that he can't see a weakness in this Australian team. It'll take an extraordinary performance to beat us.
Mate this team would rival steve waugh 11and ricky pontings 11....just because of the hitting power and balance....

Though having Warne and Pigeon at your disposal is not bad and opening with gilly and hayden but still I think this 11 would rival them.

Mate this team would rival steve waugh 11and ricky pontings 11....just because of the hitting power and balance....

Though having Warne and Pigeon at your disposal is not bad and opening with gilly and hayden but still I think this 11 would rival them.
People keep banging on about McCullum, and fair enough - he's an awesome talent. But the problem for NZ tomorrow is that we have about 4 McCullums - if we bat first and they all fire, a couple of Kiwis may have triple figures against their names, and I'm not talking about the batsmen :).

I think Im going to barrack for the Kiwis on Sunday. I will be supporting Vettori and McCullum doing well at the very least. great servants to NZ and world cricket .....
I won't barrack for the Kiwis as such but few could disagree with the emotion for Vettori and McCullum.

New Zealand batters will wonder why they keep getting caught on the boundary...and then realise the MCG boundaries are 20m longer....

I have said it all along much to the jibes of some people on here that we would win this world cup in a canter from the start.....

We scored 328 last match and apparently that still wasnt enough according to the experts lololol...this is without any of our big guns firing warner and maxwell..if Finch wasnt such a selfish flog batting Mark Taylor style we would have gone close to 400....

If we lose this it will be the biggest freaking choke in cricket history...our batting line up is better our bowling line up is better ...we have a better fielding unit and we are playing in our backyard....

We should not lose.
trashing finch for his innings is purely ridiculous. making 81 in a semi final after we lost an early wicket, then he was in an 182 run partnership in 31 overs. this set up the match and gave the rest of the hitters time to go hard in the last 15 or so overs. we all have players we dont like but to criticise them after a great performance is ordinary.

Titus O'Reily ‏@TitusOReily 22 mins22 minutes ago

"Let me help you off this massive ground Brendon. You won't be used to it."

CBJ4YxDUMAAGHNF.jpg

trashing finch for his innings is purely ridiculous. making 81 in a semi final after we lost an early wicket, then he was in an 182 run partnership in 31 overs. this set up the match and gave the rest of the hitters time to go hard in the last 15 or so overs. we all have players we dont like but to criticise them after a great performance is ordinary.
Mate his snails pace innings was selfish he was batting at a strike rate of 50.6 for majority of his innings...finch is sh** he is a liability ...his innings only looked good because smith was carrying his arse.....he struggled big time....

Yep agreed. Smith was scoring freely at the other end, and Finch was the perfect foil for him. One of the great strengths of this Australian team is their ability to adjust, according to circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back