Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly different weather and bowling conditions. NSW had been bowled out for 230 and SA 293 with 1 batsman, Cooper, scoring nearly half of SA's runs. NSW scored 5/392 and it was a spinner, which Victoria do not have, who ran through us. Some of the early wickets may also have fallen because we did, for a while, have a chance of winning that game.

Cam White had two options, declare behind and wait for the declaration which may give them a chance or let SA survive for a day with no chance of winning on a pitch which has given up 13 wickets in 3 days. You can never say we, or in fact any other team will not lose but Cam White could have done so much better.

Wickets are always more likely to fall when one team is in the position of having something to bat for.
I just wish I had faith in SA's ability to hang on: I actually have more faith in Stephen Trigg's ability as a CEO :)

The Kiwis will probably struggle to take 20 wickets (or even 10), but to their credit, they've shown the Aussies a thing or two with regards to how to build a Test innings. Their innings has now lasted for 150 overs: when was the last time our boys batted for that long???

Have to agree that the Redbacks have got themselves into yet another pickle but I still believe they can get out of this. But my frustration with the Redbacks is still exceeded by my hatred of the Vics who always prefer to not lose to SA rather than win and cause more uninteresting 2nd innings than anyone. The way this game had been going, they seemed to need to give SA a chance and their might have been a result. They instead chose to bat SA out of it and mean that the last 2 sessions were survival only. Sure it has worked for them but at the expense of ugly cricket. And they have consistently done this. Remember David Hookes' 33-ball 103? That was as much to stick it up Graham Yallop for making a totally unreasonable declaration as anything else.

Have to agree that the Redbacks have got themselves into yet another pickle but I still believe they can get out of this. But my frustration with the Redbacks is still exceeded by my hatred of the Vics who always prefer to not lose to SA rather than win and cause more uninteresting 2nd innings than anyone. The way this game had been going, they seemed to need to give SA a chance and their might have been a result. They instead chose to bat SA out of it and mean that the last 2 sessions were survival only. Sure it has worked for them but at the expense of ugly cricket. And they have consistently done this. Remember David Hookes' 33-ball 103? That was as much to stick it up Graham Yallop for making a totally unreasonable declaration as anything else.

How say you now at 8/112 (46 overs remaining)?

I wonder if D. Berry took a taxi or public transport to the Oval today...

How say you now at 8/112 (46 overs remaining)?

I wonder if D. Berry took a taxi or public transport to the Oval today...
Well, sorry for having a little bit of faith in my states cricket team. But the rest of the post is still valid, Victoria were lucky to win and Cam White was lucky SA collapsed, he made an appalling declaration and took all interest out of the last day.

Well, sorry for having a little bit of faith in my states cricket team. But the rest of the post is still valid, Victoria were lucky to win and Cam White was lucky SA collapsed, he made an appalling declaration and took all interest out of the last day.
I have a slightly different whinge, and it has nothing to do with the opposition's tactics. What about our woeful batting? That's two games in a row where the opposition has declared on day four, and SA has then collapsed faster than a pack of cards. PATHETIC!!!!!

I think it is time to have two threads, one for Domestic Cricket and one for International Cricket, that way we can ignore the depressing facts about the Deadbacks and focus on other games.

SA is just too depressing and those who run the game in this state need to be pilloried. Letting Klinger go and replacing him with someone who cannot even make the side beggars belief. Getting rid of Jamie Cox who had at least put some ticker into state team was another blunder. OK the Cricket Australia establishment didn't like him bending the T20 rules but that was T20 and Cox was doing a good job at getting the Redbacks into a more competitive mindset. But this has all been said before hasn't it?

Next post Australia....

Geez, Steve Smith is developing into a class act. Watching him against the South African spinners confirms my view that he must not be sacrificed at No 3 in the Tests. If Clarke does not play we will need Smith to hold the middle order together.

steve smith, what a gun player he is now, that between the legs shot is the second best shot ive seen this week, rohits flick outside off stump to over long on takes the cake there. and du plessis took the greatest catch that will never count.

325 par for the course, we will have to bowl well to keep them under that total.

Good to see South Africa not need an innings and a half to get through 50 overs.

Terrific finishing by Smith to some ordinary bowling.

Am I the only one who thinks Morne Morkel looks like Doug Neidermeyer from Animal House? :D

AnimalHouse6_006Pyxurz.jpg

128494.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have just seen De Plessis pull off one the greatest outfield catches of all time only to find it was a No Ball. Amazing catch. Before that an amazing shot by Steve Smith, a square drive between his legs. Has to be seen to be believed.

Du Plessis saving the six was something special too.

klingers last few inning for wa

45 100 59 1 3 56* 96 ( including man of the match in the final) 66

we are run by total fools.

the botha - berry era.

wooden-spoon-set-of-31.jpg

currently preparing the forth spoon as we speak

sack both of those campaigners

I am not sure it is Botha or Berry. They got us within a gnat's knacker of the Shield Final last year. It is higher up within SACA where the important decisions are made. The people you are asking to sack Botha and Berry are the people who got rid of Cox and Klinger and they are the people who should be held to account. OK maybe Berry and maybe Botha should go as well but there is little point in shooting the monkey if the organ grinder is playing the wrong tune.

One thing about Darren Berry, after consecutive inept second innings batting performances something has to be done and it starts with Berry. Time for some 'one on one's' with the players and the message that this is the last time such a meek display will be tolerated. I was pumping up Callum Ferguson's tyres as a candidate for Australian selection but after innings of 0 and 4 in successive capitulations I question if he has what it takes.

Last edited:
We have had 3 different opening partnerships so far. I can understand the change after Phil Hughes came back, after all you don't leave a potential international batsmen on the sidelines. But Alex McDonald was retained for the NSW game and while he didn't do all that well surely getting the partnership stable is more important? They then brought back Mark Cosgrove and both batsmen failed. Although some may say that what one batsman does shouldn't affect the other, the reality is that it does. SA need to make a selection and stick with it. If the player they select fails a few times then they grit their teeth and play him, but chopping and changing is the worst thing you can do.

I am not sure it is Botha or Berry. They got us within a gnat's knacker of the Shield Final last year. It is higher up within SACA where the important decisions are made. The people you are asking to sack Botha and Berry are the people who got rid of Cox and Klinger and they are the people who should be held to account.

i agree, get rid of them all.

remember botha is the captain of the team and was banned for the final crucial shield match last year for ball tampering, that is a disgrace, should have been instantly fired.

Yea we lost the plot toward the end of our innings. Going to take some good bowling and fielding to win this. SAF's batting well.

We scored 62 off the last 5 overs! Hardly call that losing the plot.

South Africa need to score at over 8 runs an over from here on in. It is possible but still a big ask.

We scored 62 off the last 5 overs! Hardly call that losing the plot.

South Africa need to score at over 8 runs an over from here on in. It is possible but still a big ask.
We lost the plot after around the 30 - 40 over mark. Runs dried up compared to the first half of our innings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back