Crows' Best 22 (2014 Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin is certainly out of the 'definitely delist' category. It may still happen but he's doing his best to keep an AFL career at present.

McKernan unfortunately doing the opposite.

Graham, LJ, Petrenko should be gone for sure, maybe a low level trade for Petrenko can be found.

Reilly amazingly has a contract for 2015.
Unlikely to be a crow in 2015:

Rutten - retired
Porplyzia - retired or delisted
Graham - delisted
Mckernan - delisted or trade
Johnston - delisted or trade
Petrenko - delisted
L Thompson - delisted though may save himself

Wouldn't surprise if Reilly retires.

Martin is certainly out of the 'definitely delist' category. It may still happen but he's doing his best to keep an AFL career at present.

McKernan unfortunately doing the opposite.

Graham, LJ, Petrenko should be gone for sure, maybe a low level trade for Petrenko can be found.

Reilly amazingly has a contract for 2015.

FFS, its ridiculous how Reilly has a contract for 2015. Does his money come under the veteran status? The only benefit of Reilly is when our top 30 players are not available he has some role, but he would be gone if his contract expired this year. I presume his contract was last negotiated in 2012. The AFC were fools, he was never going to go anywhere and was never that good to justify a 3 year deal.

We palmed off Armstrong to Sydney, Pets to Sydney may work for them, it will give them speed, not injury prone, has a few preseasons into him and cost a packet of potato chips.

I can see the Dogs/Saints/Blues looking at Smack, may get something out of it.

Isn't this last week's team?

Lynch, Grigg (purely to pump games into) and B.Crouch. Only 3 i think would actually make a difference to that lineup, or are worthwhile to pump games into.

We definitely need more depth, that said.

Just cant see where vB fits in any more he's been overtaken by Kerridge who is just as capable a negator but a better playmaker going the other way.

Hendo back on the track today is great news. Can never have enough good kicks in the side.

From memory Hendo didn't test that day. He would be top 5 for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron has improved his time after developing his body more throughout preseason.
Jenkins didn't either

Brown is a gun, our best small defender by so far it's not funny. Without him, star small forwards would have a field day.
Reckon Rory Laird goes well too but agree Luke Brown finished 6th in our B&F for a reason.

Unlikely to be a crow in 2015:

Rutten - retired
Porplyzia - retired or delisted
Graham - delisted
Mckernan - delisted or trade
Johnston - delisted or trade
Petrenko - delisted
L Thompson - delisted though may save himself

Wouldn't surprise if Reilly retires.
I think Petrenko would be traded not delisted.

I can't see any wanting Smack.

As for Martin, unless he plays close to 10 games he has to go. Too many years for too few games. Besides if we do improve our side next year with picks and possible free agents he ain't getting a game, not if we want to be developing a premiership side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for Martin, unless he plays close to 10 games he has to go. Too many years for too few games. Besides if we do improve our side next year with picks and possible free agents he ain't getting a game, not if we want to be developing a premiership side.
He's a fascinating topic because he could end up the year on the scrapheap or as a best 22 player (as McLeod suggests he is).

His advantage, as was the same for Mackay, is that they are a player type that we're not well endowed with at present.

He's a fascinating topic because he could end up the year on the scrapheap or as a best 22 player (as McLeod suggests he is).

His advantage, as was the same for Mackay, is that they are a player type that we're not well endowed with at present.
He does have some good qualities but this year has to be his year. With our shortage of his type, if we don't play him this year we never will. He's been on the list too long, play him or let him go.

Come finals this year (there's still hope if the Collingwood match effort remains), our back 7 could be:

Talls: Talia, two of Hartigan/Otten/Rutten
Flanks: Smith, Henderson
Smalls: Brown, Jaensch/Laird

Great blend of defence and attack, actually has skill and pace…wouldn't be out of place come finals.

Come finals this year (there's still hope if the Collingwood match effort remains), our back 7 could be:

Talls: Talia, two of Hartigan/Otten/Rutten
Flanks: Smith, Henderson
Smalls: Brown, Jaensch/Laird

Great blend of defence and attack, actually has skill and pace…wouldn't be out of place come finals.
I wouldn't rule out Smith moving to a wing on hendo's return but that is a good balanced defence.

All fit and healthy here's my team for the Dream Final II this September ;)

Obviously form would dictate who gets the spots re the contentious positions but so as to not sit on the fence I'll bold my current choices.

B: Brown - Talia - Henderson
HB: Smith - Hartigan/Rutten - Jaensch
C: Sloane - S Thompson - B Crouch
HF: Douglas - Lynch - Cameron
F: Betts - Walker - Jenkins
1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Kerridge
Int:
1) Mackay
2) 1 versatile tall if required for match-ups (JPod/Otten)
3) 1 defensive versatile small (VB, Laird, Wright)
4) 1-2 ball-getting mids (M Crouch/Martin/Lyons/Grigg)

All fit and healthy here's my team for the Dream Final II this September ;)

Obviously form would dictate who gets the spots re the contentious positions but so as to not sit on the fence I'll bold my current choices.

B: Brown - Talia - Henderson
HB: Smith - Hartigan/Rutten - Jaensch
C: Sloane - S Thompson - B Crouch
HF: Douglas - Lynch - Cameron
F: Betts - Walker - Jenkins
1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Kerridge
Int:
1) Mackay
2) 1 versatile tall if required for match-ups (JPod/Otten)
3) 1 defensive versatile small (VB, Laird, Wright)
4) 1-2 ball-getting mids (M Crouch/Martin/Lyons/Grigg)
Laird best 22 every day of the week

Tell you what... Kerridge is having a tremendous year.

Has convincingly beaten Boak, Jones, Montagna, Griffin in one on one matchups this year.

Also thought he had the better of Pendles against Collingwood. Although Pendles racked up 33 disposals, only 9 of them were kicks and he was nowhere near his influential best. Since 2011 - Pendles has under 10 kicks only 3 times (in about 75 games).

Going to learn a lot over the next month playing on Murphy, Ablett, Fyfe and Swallow.

Lets hope he keeps it up!

Tell you what... Kerridge is having a tremendous year.

Has convincingly beaten Boak, Jones, Montagna, Griffin in one on one matchups this year.

Also thought he had the better of Pendles against Collingwood. Although Pendles racked up 33 disposals, only 9 of them were kicks and he was nowhere near his influential best. Since 2011 - Pendles has under 10 kicks only 3 times (in about 75 games).

Going to learn a lot over the next month playing on Murphy, Ablett, Fyfe and Swallow.

Lets hope he keeps it up!

I strongly suspect Kerridge will go to Boomer against North (unless Boomer moves up forward, where Brown would take him). Every week he plays on an absolute gun though so it's always a huge scalp if he can restrict whoever his opponent is.

Haha Brown ran a quicker 20m sprint than Cameron and was 3rd quickest at club yet one poster said he's slower than vb and another saying he's too slow to play on Yarran.

So should we bring in Osborn to play on Yarran? He was even quicker than Brown!

The club sprint doesn't tell you how fast a player moves on a footy field.

I strongly suspect Kerridge will go to Boomer against North (unless Boomer moves up forward, where Brown would take him). Every week he plays on an absolute gun though so it's always a huge scalp if he can restrict whoever his opponent is.

See I think Laird is the perfect matchup for Boomer.

I forgot - who was it that Thomas kicked 4 on in the first half last year. It was either Brown - or Brown got switched to him and shut him down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back