Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point, not sure how I missed him. He will probably be in his prime by then :D

Definitely is the next big thing.

Reckon he could be a gun FF for the next decade.

Yeah , I like Henderson and VB as sub options , hendos flexibility suits being a sub and his run and VB could run blokes off their feet in last 40mins as a sub. I want m crouch in the team but need to be careful of him and thommo in same team and definitely wouldn't select him, thommo , grigg and Lyons all in the same side on a big deck despite the fact I like all of them
Agree Hendo is a good sub options due to his flexibility... But vb is a poor option as his super endurance makes him someone who you want playing for the whole game to run opposition off their legs. Ditto kerridge. Play these guys on ball for much of the last quarter...

B: Brown Hartigan Cheney
HB: Smith Talia VanBerlo
C: Mackay Dangerfield Cameron
HF: Grigg Jenkins Kerridge
F: Lynch Walker Betts
Ruck: Jacobs Sloane B.Crouch
Int: Douglas Henderson Jaensch
Sub: Atkins
Emergencies: Thompson M.Crouch Lyons
I like your different thinking with the side... But don't think we will have 3 same types as sub. Reckon at least 1 Will be in the side.

Think Thommo is going to have to start giving more time to M Crouch in the centre this year and he will have to start being used more as a 40% mid 60% forward so by the end of the year if he calls it a day then we already have a ready replacement with games under his belt.
Agree, though we can also use other mids like Danger & Sloane mainly on the outside... Then sub thommo & then use them late in the game more inside.

B: Brown Hartigan Cheney
HB: Smith Talia VanBerlo
C: Mackay Dangerfield Cameron
HF: Grigg Jenkins Kerridge
F: Lynch Walker Betts
Ruck: Jacobs Sloane B.Crouch
Int: Douglas Henderson Jaensch
Sub: Atkins
Emergencies: Thompson M.Crouch Lyons
One of Thompson or m crouch needs to okay, they are
Think Thommo is going to have to start giving more time to M Crouch in the centre this year and he will have to start being used more as a 40% mid 60% forward so by the end of the year if he calls it a day then we already have a ready replacement with games under his belt.
in an ideal world yes, but if we going well and thommo is performing then you pick your best side including thommo who is still a very good player when fit (eg our showdown win this year). Happy to play both at times depending on the ground and who we are playing and thommo can go forward occassionally in these games ..... M crouch will be a star regardless but good for him to see thommo up close
Agree Hendo is a good sub options due to his flexibility... But vb is a poor option as his super endurance makes him someone who you want playing for the whole game to run opposition off their legs. Ditto kerridge. Play these guys on ball for much of the last quarter...[/QUcloser
Remember though that one quarter is like a 3km time trial and VB wins these with his eyes shut let alone when his opponent has already played nearly 3 quarters. So hard to place him for next year - defensive mid, wing, half fwd, half back ,who knows . Kerridge should never be sub, he's too good

One of Thompson or m crouch needs to okay, they are

in an ideal world yes, but if we going well and thommo is performing then you pick your best side including thommo who is still a very good player when fit (eg our showdown win this year). Happy to play both at times depending on the ground and who we are playing and thommo can go forward occassionally in these games ..... M crouch will be a star regardless but good for him to see thommo up close
I wasn't suggesting kerridge should be the sub! Quite the opposite - he & vb should play full game because of their great endurance. I would use both off hbf & hff for much of the 1st half, the on ball in later stages when they can out work opponents... Or swap onball/hbf as tagging option double-team.

I like your different thinking with the side... But don't think we will have 3 same types as sub. Reckon at least 1 Will be in the side.

Yeah I agree, I just put the next best 3. I think all three are probably in our best 22 players but I feel that Atkins and Cameron need to play to provide run and carry. Just highlights that we are too heavy on inside mids and low on outside types. Mitch Grigg is probably the player I would take out for Thompson or Crouch.

Grigg is going to have to smash PS then play really solid consistent footy and wait for an injury or poor form to get into the side. This year was a big disappointment as many, me included, expected him to smash it...now I think there are others ahead of him...Lyons falls into this category as well.
Also I don't think Cameron at this stage has the endurance to play wing, especially with the way Walsh is looking for two way runners. He and Betts should be forming the best small forward double act in the league next season.

I wouldn't have Pods in the side as far as I am concerned he is break glass only if Tex goes down, if JJ got injured the Lowden would get a gig before Pods or maybe even one of our new recruits, but I am worried a bit at who takes the contested marks. Jenkins has done it once in a blue moon and Tex just doesn't seem to know how to do it, its not the way he plays the game. Without the sub rule I would have Lowden in the side on the bench, but I don't see Lynch as the contested marking forward we need either. Now Walsh might have more of a clue how to structure a forward line that works to our strengths not bombing it on Eddie's head.

Can we please stop talking about Perrie and McGregor like they were serviceable AFL players.
They were Sh1t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we please stop talking about Perrie and McGregor like they were serviceable AFL players.
They were Sh1t
Both those players were KPP's in an AFL side that, across 2 years, were minor premiers and played in 2 prelims.

I've seen some s**t players in my time (me included) and neither of those 2 were s**t. Had they been better, then yes, maybe that side could have won a flag, but s**t? No.

Both those players were KPP's in an AFL side that, across 2 years, were minor premiers and played in 2 prelims.

I've seen some s**t players in my time (me included) and neither of those 2 were s**t. Had they been better, then yes, maybe that side could have won a flag, but s**t? No.

Byrne, Gallagher, Fernee, Smith, Gilligan if you want to define some that were s**t players.

They were Sh1t
No your post is what I call s**t.

The clearly were not gun players but they were serviceable!

They were Sh1t

McGregor was robbed of All-Australian selection one year (possibly 05 I think). Was the best CHB in the comp by a street. Pretty sure they selected Chad or Pav in the AA team that year at CHB. You know, someone who rarely played there. Kenny was rarely beaten back there, made solid decisions, and was about as dependable as you can get. We wasted too much time trying to make him an AFL forward though. Was never going to happen.

Perrie was a pretty shocking kick, but other than that, was excellent at pretty much everything a key forward needs to be excellent at. Great body work, elite contested mark (top 5 in the league at the time) and good on the lead.

These players were both far superior to the Sam Shaws and Kyle Hartigans of the world. Perrie was a very different player to someone like Jenkins, but given the choice between Perrie in his prime or Jenkins right now, I'd still take Sarge (narrowly).

Remember the Sarge kicking a goal against Wet Toast that pretty much sewed up the minor prem in 05. Was a solid 2nd tall. Could clunk a mark and gave 100%.
Kenny was good, but his kicking leg was shite towards the end, lucky if he could kick it 35m. The thing was he could take a grab. That's what make Tippett so valuable...ah the what ifs..
Contested marks in the forward 50 are what is going to win us the close games. Not sure we have it yet.

I have been looking at our list profile this morning and thought I would share some things, wasn't sure which other thread to put this in.
Average age of our senior list: 24.0 (excluding new draftees = 24.6)
Average games played = 61.9 (68.7)

Seems we at least have a good age and games played bracket and would expect solely on this to start pushing deep into september in the next 2 or three years (not taking into account the talent of those players however)

Number of players in each age bracket
18 = 3. Lever, dear, wigg
19 = 2. M Crouch, knight
20 = 4. Siggins, atkins, cameron, mcgovern
21 = 4. B Crouch, kedge, CEY, laird
22 = 3. Grigg, brown, lyons
23 = 5. Talia, hartigan, smith, shaw, lowden
24 = 4. Sloane, tex, lynch, danger
25 = 5. JJ, jaensch, wright, otten, cheney
26 = 4. Dmac, Jacobs, martin, hendo
27 = 1. Douglas
28 = 2. van Berlo, betts
31 = 2. Thommo, reilly
33 = 1. Jpod

So no 29, 30 or 32 yr olds and you could say that by the end of the year our best 22 has no one aged over 28 (van berlo will be 29, will have to see if he is best 22 or not).

Also interesting to think of our draft sanctions, the kids aged 19-21 now.
Both M Crouch and Knight look good and at least Crouch could be best 22 by end of the year, with Knight possible. 2 best 22 from one draft is good
The 20 year olds are ok, atkins could be best 22 as could cameron. Siggins i have no idea and mcgovern probably needs a year. Lets say 2 again.
the 21 yr olds are great, with 2 or arguably 3 best 22 players.
So the draft sanctions took some top end talent away but I think we have done alright otherwise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back