List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

damnit, was actually looking forward to using my mod powers for the first time! :p
I can mess it up again, if you like?

wSd5vBO.jpg

Dixon is now the single most important player that the club will want to re-sign. Focus everything on Dicko for now and worry about Thompson, Rischitelli etc later.

It's time the club pays up. Charlie deserves it.

Dixon is now the single most important player that the club will want to re-sign. Focus everything on Dicko for now and worry about Thompson, Rischitelli etc later.

It's time the club pays up. Charlie deserves it.

From memory Dicko had 2 great games just prior to re signing last time, pushing up his price?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory Dicko had 2 great games just prior to re signing last time, pushing up his price?
I'd say so but the last thing the club needs now is to lose a guy like Charlie. When he re-signed in 2012, I believe the club low balled him at the start of that season and he basically said 'No, I'm going to show you I'm worth more than that.' Keep in mind, he had a considerable offer on the table from Hawthorn at the time (Hawks had just lost a prelim by 3 points) and turned it down to take less with the Suns. I think Hawthorn later spent that money on Brian Lake. So, let's just say hypothetically, at the start of the season he had an offer from the Suns worth about 350k and another offer from Hawthorn worth about 550k. Charlie essentially said to his manager I want to stay with the Suns but I deserve more. He played well and presumably his Suns offer goes up to about 450-500k. He takes the deal and is happy to stay on the Gold Coast. Now we have a similar situation involving more money. Charlie will turn 25 in September and, presuming he wants to sign a long contract, this will probably be the biggest contract he'll ever sign. So I think it's probably fair to say Brisbane's offer is around the 850k mark for numerous years and Gold Coast have probably offered something around the 600k mark over 3 years or so. Up the offer to about 750k over 4 years and I think he'll stay.

There's a romantic notion with Charlie because he was literally the first player to sign with the Gold Coast way back in 2008. We all know he works hard and it seems like everyone around the club loves him. He's good for the culture and, more importantly, he's a very good footballer.

I'd say so but the last thing the club needs now is to lose a guy like Charlie. When he re-signed in 2012, I believe the club low balled him at the start of that season and he basically said 'No, I'm going to show you I'm worth more than that.' Keep in mind, he had a considerable offer on the table from Hawthorn at the time (Hawks had just lost a prelim by 3 points) and turned it down to take less with the Suns. I think Hawthorn later spent that money on Brian Lake. So, let's just say hypothetically, at the start of the season he had an offer from the Suns worth about 350k and another offer from Hawthorn worth about 550k. Charlie essentially said to his manager I want to stay with the Suns but I deserve more. He played well and presumably his Suns offer goes up to about 450-500k. He takes the deal and is happy to stay on the Gold Coast. Now we have a similar situation involving more money. Charlie will turn 25 in September and, presuming he wants to sign a long contract, this will probably be the biggest contract he'll ever sign. So I think it's probably fair to say Brisbane's offer is around the 850k mark for numerous years and Gold Coast have probably offered something around the 600k mark over 3 years or so. Up the offer to about 750k over 4 years and I think he'll stay.

There's a romantic notion with Charlie because he was literally the first player to sign with the Gold Coast way back in 2008. We all know he works hard and it seems like everyone around the club loves him. He's good for the culture and, more importantly, he's a very good footballer.

I am all for keeping him, like many people he is one of my favourites. All I am saying is be careful we don't over pay and then lose a Lynch / Swallow / Presitia etc. If the Lions offer 850K and he wanted 800K to stay then I think we have to let him go

I am all for keeping him, like many people he is one of my favourites. All I am saying is be careful we don't over pay and then lose a Lynch / Swallow / Presitia etc. If the Lions offer 850K and he wanted 800K to stay then I think we have to let him go
Just to clarify, when I say 750k over 4 years I mean 750k each year for 4 years. That would be $3 million over 4 years when he's at the height of his physical peak. Ablett's rumoured salary is about $1 million per year over the next 3 years so that would leave a little over $8 million to fit everyone else in. Now that might sound like it will hurt retention but I'm starting to think some of the guys from the '10 draft class aren't going to live up to their potential which should free cap room. How many of these guys actually deserve salaries in excess of 500k? Ablett and Dixon do. Harbrow, Lynch, Prestia and Swallow are probably around the 500k mark. That's probably about $4 million wrapped up in those 6 players. Does anyone else on the list actually deserve that sort of coin?

Iva Bigun, retention is the concern here so let's look at what this might mean for next year. Next year you have O'Meara, Sexton, Russell, Prestia, Day, Lynch, Leslie, Nicholls, Stanley, Kolodjashnij, Wright, Lemmens and Garlett coming off contract. I made this last year to give people an idea of where salaries stood based on my knowledge:

9xweyMt.jpg

So let's go through it.
  • I had O'Meara on about $500k and I don't think he could possibly ask for any more than that next year based on his situation. They could probably back end his deal to free up a bit of cap room.
  • Sexton re-signed last year and I would assume that would be around the 200k mark. Does he deserve more? Maybe a little bit more but at the very most he'd earn 300k. I'd say 50k needs to be cleared for him.
  • Russell also re-signed last year so I'd have him around the 200k mark and I don't think he deserves any more than that.
  • I had Prestia on 500k for next year. Does he deserve more than that? Maybe slightly but not much. Maybe another 50k set aside for Dion.
  • Day re-signed last year for what I assume would be around the 300-350k mark. Does he deserve more? I don't think so. You could probably offer him less/trade him.
  • I had Lynch on 350k. Does he deserve more? Yes. The club will need to free up 150k at least for Lynch.
  • I've got Leslie on 62k. He'll definitely get a pay rise but it's very dependent on whether he can keep Thompson/May out of the team. Either way, the club probably should clear at least 100k for him.
  • Nicholls re-signed last year. I'm going to guess around the 300k mark. Should he get more? I think so. He probably deserves about 400k. Another 100k they'll need to clear.
  • Stanley re-signed last year but I reckon he would still be around the 300k mark. Does he deserve a raise? I don't think so.
  • I had Kolodjashnij on the 62k mark. Definitely deserve a raise. At least 200k will need to be cleared for him.
  • At least another 100k will need to be cleared for Wright.
  • I had Lemmens on 62k. At least another 150k will need to be cleared for him.
  • Another 100k will probably need to be cleared for Garlett.
So that works out to be about $1 million that needs to be set aside to re-sign players next year. The salary cap is going up by 150k next year so that lowers it to 850k. You could probably knock off another 50k by back ending O'Meara. If Day gets traded (which I think is very possible) then that would clear another 300k. So where does the other 500k come from? It comes from this year's delistees/tradees that will be replaced by draftees.

Zac Smith re-signed last year for probably about 300-350k and is definitely not playing in a way that deserves a pay rise. If anything, he deserves a pay cut and I think the club will wait until Dixon is re-signed before working out how much Zac should get. If they trade him out and replace him with a draftee then they've cleared about 300k of the 500k required. Let's just say they keep Zac and he accepts a deal for about 250k. They'll need to find another 400k for next year. Sumner coming off the books will help. That's probably about another 150k right off the bat. Now we're down to 250k that needs to be cleared. Gorringe could be the man that makes it possible. He's probably around the 150-200k mark so we're getting very close if Gorringe leaves. Josh Hall will be delisted and his salary is probably around the 150k mark so that will get the job done. Aaron Hall is also skating on thin ice so delisting him would free more cap room to cover re-signing Thompson and upgrading Saad. I also had Tape on 250k so he could take a pay cut to cover the new draftees coming in.

So there you go. That's the number crunching side of it all. I have Sumner, Gorringe, J.Hall and A.Hall coming off the books as well as Smith, Day and Tape taking pay cuts to make it all possible. Trading Smith or Day is also an option.

To be honest, if I was Dixon and it came down to those 2 clubs, I would choose Freo in a heartbeat. They have a very strong list, well balanced list between young and old, a strong club and supporter base and I can't see them dropping out of the top 8 any time soon. It also takes the heartstrings side out of the equation choosing between 2 home QLD clubs.

Having 4 big key fwds in Lynch, Wright, Day & Dixon... And now also Brooksby, you can't keep 5 key fwds on your list?

Just depends long term who is the best for us to lose - both in compensation and team structure?

To be honest, if I was Dixon and it came down to those 2 clubs, I would choose Freo in a heartbeat. They have a very strong list, well balanced list between young and old, a strong club and supporter base and I can't see them dropping out of the top 8 any time soon. It also takes the heartstrings side out of the equation choosing between 2 home QLD clubs.

Having 4 big key fwds in Lynch, Wright, Day & Dixon... And now also Brooksby, you can't keep 5 key fwds on your list?

Just depends long term who is the best for us to lose - both in compensation and team structure?

Don't know about freo..
Pavlich.. Finished.. McPharlin.. Finished
Mundy is 30 Mayne 27
Barlow 28 Sandilands 32
Johnson 31 Duffield 31

6 of there top 10 players are 30 and over
2 more years then downhill skiing

It's really hard to rate Dicko's worth
What I love about him is he really gives everything out on the ground
He's not a coaster
But we've won games without him and I don't see him as a Coleman Medal winner and there's still huge question marks over his longevity
So it's the classic yeah/no/yeah
We can't compromise keeping Gaz Jaeger Spitter and Dion for what is a pretty big gamble
So...yeah, no
yeah?
No
Maybe
I think he's gone though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back