List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's really hard to rate Dicko's worth
What I love about him is he really gives everything out on the ground
He's not a coaster
But we've won games without him and I don't see him as a Coleman Medal winner and there's still huge question marks over his longevity
So it's the classic yeah/no/yeah
We can't compromise keeping Gaz Jaeger Spitter and Dion for what is a pretty big gamble
So...yeah, no
yeah?
No
Maybe
I think he's gone though

I suppose it's better we trade him this year then next year he could walk for free couldn't he?

everyone is too hung up on the off field crap that's only surfaced the past fortnight. On field he is top 5 most important, I wouldn't blink to give him 4-5yrs. But that's just me. Nobody has come close to kicking a bag of goals as he has, or demoralise opposition. If we lose home, we put a premiership further away.

Lynch is not a full forward.
Wright won't be ready for at least 3 years.
Day is still unknown in my opinion, but probably has the rest of this year and next to announce himself.
Gorringe - Pass
Brooksby only played 2 senior games so far albeit is of same age as Dicko - so a bit unknown still.

Straight swap??
Didn't think Weller even wanted to come.. Hrmm.. Not the happiest I've been
I would have thought Gold Coast could get more out of that hypothetical trade considering Dixon is a top 5 player at the Suns and Weller is yet to play a game for the Dockers. Lachie went through the Suns academy system and stated several times that it was his dream to play for the Suns. You can never have too much midfield depth but obviously the preferred outcome is to keep Dixon.

Same here. I'm happy for us to give him 5 years as long as it's reasonable market value. Do we pay overs and maybe lose others though? That's the question.

Ermmm no..
Maybe a slight yes.. If I didn't know he drinks red the night before the game.l and he manages 20 games this season.. Otherwise cap him to 500k max

Dixon's aggression and physicality on the field shouldn't be underestimated. He's been our number 1 player on field for every game he's played in this year. His presence is vital. If we let him go, it has to be at the right price. He's crucial to our first premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon's aggression and physicality on the field shouldn't be underestimated. He's been our number 1 player on field for every game he's played in this year. His presence is vital. If we let him go, it has to be at the right price. He's crucial to our first premiership.
Absolutely - almost the only one on the field with that kind of physicality and mongrel on the ground.

Who do you think has kicked the most goals for our struggling team this year? Dixon. You don't just discard him because he had a couple private prematch wines to help sleep.

Last edited:
Absolutely - almost the only one on the field with that kind of physicality and mongrel on the ground.

Who do you think has kicked the most goals for our struggling team this year? Dixon. You don't just discard him because he had a couple private prematch wines to help sleep.

Were not discarding him..
If he was 90% loyal he'd just re-sign with all and end all this bullshit..
Instead we are here talking about how to make do with this bad situation.

Charlie is super important to us winning games. But given his injury history I doubt we initially offered him (last year and early this year) a new contract longer than 2 years or for big money.

Once again he has said no to our offers and backed himself to perform and get a longer and better deal. Once again he has delivered and the risk paid off. If he had a poor season or could not get on the park, then he would be back to a 2 year deal on good money. Now he will be offered 4 or 5 years at great money. Good on him.

But if he has priced himself out of our comfort zone (either in # of years or in $ per year) then we have to get the best deal we can and move on. They know him better than anyone and if they won't bust up the list strategy to match the offers then there must be a good reason (one of them is the $1m we will be paying Gaz). I suspect he wants to stay, but if can get a much better deal elsewhere then he should go. Might be his last good contract if he gets a major injury.

Besides, if you said right now we could turn Charlie into 2 young players who are good to excellent at both running and kicking, sign me up! Our biggest need by a mile.

Never thought we would be able to carry Dixon, Lynch, May, Rory, 2MP, Day and Leslie long term anyway. Too much demand for key position players from clubs with cash. Charlie and Rory are the two out of contract this year so are the two in play.

Remember Rory? He is out of contract as well!

Charlie is super important to us winning games. But given his injury history I doubt we initially offered him (last year and early this year) a new contract longer than 2 years or for big money.

Once again he has said no to our offers and backed himself to perform and get a longer and better deal. Once again he has delivered and the risk paid off. If he had a poor season or could not get on the park, then he would be back to a 2 year deal on good money. Now he will be offered 4 or 5 years at great money. Good on him.

But if he has priced himself out of our comfort zone (either in # of years or in $ per year) then we have to get the best deal we can and move on. They know him better than anyone and if they won't bust up the list strategy to match the offers then there must be a good reason (one of them is the $1m we will be paying Gaz). I suspect he wants to stay, but if can get a much better deal elsewhere then he should go. Might be his last good contract if he gets a major injury.

Besides, if you said right now we could turn Charlie into 2 young players who are good to excellent at both running and kicking, sign me up! Our biggest need by a mile.

Never thought we would be able to carry Dixon, Lynch, May, Rory, 2MP, Day and Leslie long term anyway. Too much demand for key position players from clubs with cash. Charlie and Rory are the two out of contract this year so are the two in play.

FML

I agree, I think we all want Charlie to stay but if its all about the cash then we must just wish him luck and get the best deal we can.

Dixon was the only player to apologize and do an interview after the drinking suspension. This shows he was really sorry and wants to stay here. We didn't see Bennell or McKenzie come out and apologize after their ban. If we have to pay overs for Dixon then so be it. I would rather have 22 Charlie Dixon's that accept their mistakes than 22 Harley Bennells or Trent McKenzies that are repeat offenders.

Dixon was the only player to apologize and do an interview after the drinking suspension. This shows he was really sorry and wants to stay here. We didn't see Bennell or McKenzie come out and apologize after their ban. If we have to pay overs for Dixon then so be it. I would rather have 22 Charlie Dixon's that accept their mistakes than 22 Harley Bennells or Trent McKenzies that are repeat offenders.
I don't think apologising necessarily means he wants to stay but it does show a level of maturity to man up and accept your mistake. I think Gold Coast need to stop worrying so much about future player retention and worry about potentially losing their best key forward. If someone like Trent McKenzie needs to be squeezed out because of Dixon's salary then so be it. Dixon offers much more to the team.

I don't think apologising necessarily means he wants to stay but it does show a level of maturity to man up and accept your mistake. I think Gold Coast need to stop worrying so much about future player retention and worry about potentially losing their best key forward. If someone like Trent McKenzie needs to be squeezed out because of Dixon's salary then so be it. Dixon offers much more to the team.
Yeah agreed. If only this came up in 2 years or so instead of now. Then we would have a better understanding about if Brooksby, Wright and Day are any good.

One thing that is not really known is Charlie has recently broken up with his missus , who just happens to be a fair piece . I know id be drinking if id lost her.
ZI%20024.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back