Scandal Daniel Chick admits Drug Use rampant in 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of the world moving on. ..another college shooting. I wish the US would move themselves into this century.

Obama using Australia as an example of how to deal with mass shootings.

I personally don't like the attacks on Chick regarding the timing of the news story. I wonder when Chick made the comments? I trust the Herald is the one responsible for the timing and not Chick.

I wonder if Chick will comment about heroin, cocaine etc and I wonder if any comments will be made about administrations personal habits? Fish do rot from the head.

I also wondered if Ken Judge was pushed out the door because he informed administration of the drug issues? If that was the case, are they liable?

perhaps its all too late and no one cares but the players themselves and the administration will have to take ownership of the dead, the drug fkd and the broken. This impact is not limited to the players but their wives, parents, children, broader families, friends and of course society.

All I'm suggesting is perhaps we shouldn't shoot down guys like Chick, perhaps we should listen. We might have something to learn and better understand his motivations.
However surely part of getting your life back together involves taking responsibility for your own actions, and there appeared to be precious little of that in Chick’s claims. I don't see any self responsibility in his claims. Also when he arrived at the club in 2003 you didn't like what was happening, why in gods name did he not speak up then? No he went and aligned yourself with those that were doing the wrong thing and continued on taking drugs himself. instead of going to the AFL with your concerns. . Did you go to ASADA? WADA? The AFL? Why did he not seek a trade? Or leave the club?

What makes it worse is he accusing the club is very serious (handing out drugs on match day and hiding the players from the ASADA testers), I agree the AFL have to look into it. However if it is false and not substantiated the Herald Sun and Mr Chick will have a nice old court battle on their hands

However surely part of getting your life back together involves taking responsibility for your own actions, and there appeared to be precious little of that in Chick’s claims. I don't see any self responsibility in his claims. Also when he arrived at the club in 2003 you didn't like what was happening, why in gods name did he not speak up then? No he went and aligned yourself with those that were doing the wrong thing and continued on taking drugs himself. instead of going to the AFL with your concerns. . Did you go to ASADA? WADA? The AFL? Why did he not seek a trade? Or leave the club?

What makes it worse is he accusing the club is very serious (handing out drugs on match day and hiding the players from the ASADA testers), I agree the AFL have to look into it. However if it is false and not substantiated the Herald Sun and Mr Chick will have a nice old court battle on their hands

agree

I think there is little doubt re the drug claims. the details could be debated but the spirit is probably right.

the only bomb shell in the story was the claim a staffer assisted the players avoid the testing. who knows if this is fact or imagination but it is unusual that the players went undetected for all those years. it has been discussed before how it was possible but that requires a little knowledge.

I doubt chick and co had that knowledge themselves which does suggest they had a little advice from somewhere.

agree

I think there is little doubt re the drug claims. the details could be debated but the spirit is probably right.

the only bomb shell in the story was the claim a staffer assisted the players avoid the testing. who knows if this is fact or imagination but it is unusual that the players went undetected for all those years. it has been discussed before how it was possible but that requires a little knowledge.

I doubt chick and co had that knowledge themselves which does suggest they had a little advice from somewhere.

The Drug claims we all knew in 2001 bloody took the eagles 7 years to clean that up and they have so credit there. But the powerful allegations
(1) Staff handing out Xanax, Vallium, Petradone, Sudafed in bulk quantities is a serious allegation to make
(2) Staff handing out stimulants on game day and after games
(3) Staff hiding the eagles from drug testers

What I find hard is that Judd, Embley, Steven Armstrong have all refuted these claims. I am no genius but I would take Judd and Embleys word over Daniel Chick

The Drug claims we all knew in 2001 bloody took the eagles 7 years to clean that up and they have so credit there. But the powerful allegations
(1) Staff handing out Xanax, Vallium, Petradone, Sudafed in bulk quantities is a serious allegation to make

What I find hard is that Judd, Embley, Steven Armstrong have all refuted these claims. I am no genius but I would take Judd and Embleys word over Daniel Chick
all clubs handed out sedated at that time. retired swans players tried to introduce it into the local league where they were coaching. but players were not interested.

perhaps Judd refuted the claim but the article I read said it was just "blown out of proportion"

judd's response in my opinion is very professional. He didn't lie and say it didn't happen but he didn't engage but controlled the discussion to a close.

he was also very clever to leave the club, rather than stay and try and change the world.

well done judd.
I think Judd is the balanced one, obviously something was up at West Coast, but why has Chick decided to tip the bucket now?

Yes, Rohan Connally said on SEN (has he written about it today?) that Chick was very pissed off that Cousins' rehab was largely paid for by the club, while he got nothing. Mark Fine said later that it was "several hundred thousand dollars"

Langdon was savage on Chick on 3aw last night, even more so than he was on Kerr, basically saying that he's one of the biggest dickheads that's ever been at the club, which was one reason he was sacked.

However surely part of getting your life back together involves taking responsibility for your own actions, and there appeared to be precious little of that in Chick’s claims.
but this may not have been able to be written into the piece. it was not a 360 degree look at his life
I don't see any self responsibility in his claims. Also when he arrived at the club in 2003 you didn't like what was happening, why in gods name did he not speak up then? No he went and aligned yourself with those that were doing the wrong thing and continued on taking drugs himself. instead of going to the AFL with your concerns. . Did you go to ASADA? WADA? The AFL? Why did he not seek a trade? Or leave the club?
have you asked did the club and the entire city enable the team and individuals. the despair and depravity may manifest only in a lag over the next decade.
p'raps he is telling the truth as an eyewitness. he is too east to smear as a disaffected and of questionable credibility, but HE WAS there. A court will assess eyewitness evidence as evidence.

As one thing Windy Hill has demonstrated, no one wishes to know how the sausage is made. And it is pretty nasty behind the scenes. WCE were a tinderbox, the ripe conditions for everything to go up. one team town. hollywood in the most isolated city on the planet. money. fame. If these circumstances prevailed in everyother team, and the NRL, they would have been dealing with the same consequences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CQMv8-DUkAAPHff.jpg

Obviously the drugs are helping his diet too !!

I LOL'd big time at this quote.

"This bloke's a bigger moron, to be totally honest," Langdon said on 3AW.

"I couldn't trust him (Chick) as far as I could kick him and looking at him, I don't think that would be very far."

but this may not have been able to be written into the piece. it was not a 360 degree look at his lifehave you asked did the club and the entire city enable the team and individuals. the despair and depravity may manifest only in a lag over the next decade. p'raps he is telling the truth as an eyewitness. he is too east to smear as a disaffected and of questionable credibility, but HE WAS there. A court will assess eyewitness evidence as evidence.

As one thing Windy Hill has demonstrated, no one wishes to know how the sausage is made. And it is pretty nasty behind the scenes. WCE were a tinderbox, the ripe conditions for everything to go up. one team town. hollywood in the most isolated city on the planet. money. fame. If these circumstances prevailed in everyother team, and the NRL, they would have been dealing with the same consequences.
Yeah but does that mean Judd, Embley and others are not correct? So who do they believe. I have said if it correct and it is facts then they should go to town on the club. Thankfully the modern day eagles should not get punished.

Based on that photo, Chicks off to the grand final.

I expect the Eagles supporters will give him a warm welcome on his arrival. ( if they even recognize him )

Yeah but does that mean Judd, Embley and others are not correct? So who do they believe. I have said if it correct and it is facts then they should go to town on the club. Thankfully the modern day eagles should not get punished.
I would lean to Judd and Embley putting the most rose colour lenses on possible, and them actually to be revisionist.

I also would believe that Chick has not been the most rigorous in his memory, and sought to gloss over his own culpability. Ramp up the apocryphal shooting galleries to indict the entire list, whilst minimise any personal responsibility.

But if Demetriou and Evans and Hird and Windy Hill did not teach the public, you cannot trust anyone in the AFL to tell the most intellectually rigorous truth and facts, then I wont be able to convince a soul.

Like in cycling, and Lance Armstrong, when all the revelations came out, when the half-dozen books were released, I had a few back channel sources and basically knew the story, all the details and bawdy tales just became white noise. So I did not bother getting drawn into the story, my overarching view had a greater truth than the cumulative individual anecdotes. Sometimes you can get bowed down in the detail.

I think that most of this is white noise, d'affaire de Chick. scuttlebut. There would not be a team in the affal that is innocent, that has clean hands.

It is when Demetriou and Caroline Wilson talk up the fine upstanding reputation of every AFL listed player and the league and the backoffice. They are wrong, they are marketeers trying to sell you something.

I am not indicting the players themselves, but if you give young athletes at the top of their game, if you give them adulation, money, fame, and especially fame in a one team town, bad $hit is certain to happen, because if you have a list of 40, not everyone will be able to deny lures and the funpark. Sh!t gonna happen, people will come a cropper. If not your team, my team, if not our team, the other team.

Last edited:
I LOL'd big time at this quote.

"This bloke's a bigger moron, to be totally honest," Langdon said on 3AW.

"I couldn't trust him (Chick) as far as I could kick him and looking at him, I don't think that would be very far."
what carport door or vacuum cleaner is Langdon now endorsing? would the proverd pot kettle black or glass houses not fit.

far less talented Dermott Brereton with twice the mouth. no, three times the mouth.

Didn't cousins say it was pretty easy to dodge a test
I remember something in a doco or reading something about how he would just jump the fence at training
Or something along those lines

Easy to dodge them... that hasn't stopped lots of players from clubs with no names getting caught.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah sure. I mean what reason would they have to lie?! Sheesh.

When Chick says " players used to crush Valium and wash it down with Vodka" he absolutely fails the credibility test. It was you Daniel who did this. If he can't be honest about himself why would we believe what he says about anyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back