Scandal Daniel Kerr Arrested for Assault.

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how you mention Freo and 20 years together... still no flag.

I am shocked to be sitting here reading lots of the later comments sticking the boot into Kerr/WCE from Freo supporters when Freo still has an admitted and convicted druggy playing in their team
not the point at all. I was just saying, how a "one team town" football team, in a football state, not Brisbane, not Sydney, can develop a warped culture.

The I went on to qualify the "one team town" because, I knew there were two teams. Seems lost on you how I was using the "one team town" as a sociological metaphor as an insight, into how a culture could go astray. Unlike Sydney Swans, where they always benefited from not being the Hollywood of their town.

If you wanna take it as a knock, take it as a knock, but it would be a indictment on your own intelligence to read my post thru that lens.

not the point at all. I was just saying, how a "one team town" football team, in a football state, not Brisbane, not Sydney, can develop a warped culture.

The I went on to qualify the "one team town" because, I knew there were two teams. Seems lost on you how I was using the "one team town" as a sociological metaphor as an insight, into how a culture could go astray. Unlike Sydney Swans, where they always benefited from not being the Hollywood of their town.

If you wanna take it as a knock, take it as a knock, but it would be a indictment on your own intelligence to read my post thru that lens.

Damn your HTB worded replies, no knock taken :)

Damn your HTB worded replies, no knock taken :)
I was not knocking Freo. And I was not knocking Kerr.

Just p'raps, to be the best player in the AFL, you need to be on such a personality spectrum. Chris Judd, is the exception that proves the rule.

He could not be tackled, he could do everything that a 5'10" player ever will. But suppose to be the best player in the league, one needs to be on that personality spectrum, and not be the type to reconcile norms of everyday etiquette. Kerry, and other champs, they never make the transition to retirment easy.

when you have tasted 50 thousand, or 100 thousand at the G on granfinal day, calling your name, cheering for you, screaming your name, running thru the banner on Subi, or WACA, can you ever match this high?

why will they always pursue either drugs or sex to replicate a high they can never again taste? It cant be easy.

Gideon Haigh, p'raps the most cerebral of our sports corp journalists, (Mal Knox good too), had to ask Michael Atherton (english cricket captain in the dark times of english cricket in the 90s thru to 2001ish)about 6 years back after a couple of years in retirement, I think Athers was Eton and Oxbridge, smart cricketer, unlike our mob, he asked Athers, "whats it like to be known in your life for something you have once done, done, pasttense, in the past, how does one reconcile this?" *Athers is mid to late 30's, has most of his life ahead of him

Athers said, I ask myself this everyday.

for a footballer, they may not ask themselves this, not consciously anyway, they have internalised it, but they are asking it, with the externalised behaviour.

You know the Teddy Whitten game in Melbourne, or Legends game, have you seen these cats run on to the field, and all have some atavistic hunger to do a blind turn and take a snap from the boundary, and think of the G. Just once more. For a few seconds. Dont doubt they would give up the drugs, or sex, for just one more taste of glory.

David Milch the writer/creator of Deadwood, spoke about the SuperBowl, and the apotheosis, and transcendent experience for the athletes. Nothing will touch it.

And this is why Daniel Kerr is resigned to a future term of struggle reconciling this vacuum

Last edited:

Tell that to one past WC player's family.
see the Goldman dilemma.

If Chris Mainwairing, was asked at 20, for the life, career, glory, plaudits, flags and achievements, but it came with a tragic retirment and tragedy for his family, I think Mainy would take this Faustian pact.

Its not a value judgement, its just an interpretation of human motive. I am not judging Mainy or Kerry, or Cuz, ir could be any pro athlete who has tasted the heights of human possibility.

Now, you and I may not define these as the heights of possibility, but I would stake my life on it, that these AFL players do indeed value it such.

see the Goldman dilemma.

If Chris Mainwairing, was asked at 20, for the life, career, glory, plaudits, flags and achievements, but it came with a tragic retirment and tragedy for his family, I think Mainy would take this Faustian pact.

Its not a value judgement, its just an interpretation of human motive. I am not judging Mainy or Kerry, or Cuz, ir could be any pro athlete who has tasted the heights of human possibility.

Now, you and I may not define these as the heights of possibility, but I would stake my life on it, that these AFL players do indeed value it such.
While backing himself to avoid the pitfalls of falling into a cocaine habit, I agree.

I wouldn't be getting too high on that ivory tower.
Jeff Farmer was convicted of assault numerous times and even took a baseball bat to his wife whilst at Fremantle.
There is no right to commit the crimes Kerr has but it is impossible to be grounded in the culture that was at WC when they won the flag.
Drugs (which happens at every club), success and being the biggest show in a town that has few outlets to the big cities of Australia other than football has caused some to behave out of control.

Makes sense, Jeff Farmer was a criminal therefore we should just look the other way at Kerr's indiscretions. BF 101.

A bit of fantasy stuff in your post too but you've already been pulled up on that.

Such a shock to the system it must be for you to read a post where someone's gone to the effort of checking the facts instead of posting hearsay, innuendo or conjecture, like the poster I was taking to task and who you stoutly defend.

But after a lifetime faithfully swallowing Nisbett's spontaneous exclamations of innocence you're hardly likely to change now, are you?

Read the post again mate - I didn't 'stoutly defend' anybody. In fact the only thing I did do was call you out on what I still believe to be one of the biggest flagrant lies I've ever read on bigfooty.

Do I believe you 'check[ed] the facts' re: his school? Possibly - google is your friend afterall, probably gave you a couple of hundred pages with that info in about two seconds flat. Do I believe you did it by using your hotline into Kerr's extended family? Not on your life.

For the record, the culture that existed at my club during that period is something I, and I suspect a majority of eagles fans, am not proud of. Regarding Kerr currently, I have no strong feelings one way or another. The courts will deal with it accordingly. I'm also not interested in the '...but Jeff Farmer and Michael Johnson...' pissing contest mentality of some wce fans on here.

What does annoy me is when people feel compelled to try and big note themselves on these forums by serving us all a s**t sandwhich and expecting us to eat it. Personally, I hold back on posting until I have something worth saying. Posters who feel the need to try and pump up their posts by adding something that is supposed to prove their credibility, when clearly false, would do well to show the same restraint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can't stump $5000 for surety, wow.

They are some fairly serious accusations he is charged with. Has some priors for assault also.

from what i am led to believe the money doesnt actually have to be fronted at the time. you just have to sign the paper work.

it sounds his parents didnt want to sign the forms and then when they did, kerr didnt want too

he could be in a similar boat to cousins where his money is invested in real-estate/wrapped in controls that means he cannot easily get his hands on it. so i dont think its a case of him being in financial ruin like some are suggesting

While Mainy may have had personal problems, none of his effected anyone else bar his immediate family just like you or I.
Thats just a cheap swipe at a great bloke by a knob behind a computer...

how did it only affect mainy? people have been on record stating that the eagles problems with cousins etc started with the senior players that took the younger players under their wing. they have a lot to answer to for, especially with whats ended up happening to cousins etc

You also disregard the fact that WCE made vast changes to get rid of that culture to.

not far enough IMO. nisbert should have been marched. since then he still sticks to the old boys club mentality

remind me again how well behaved off-field wellingham and shuey have been

I felt so embarrassed for that guy when they interviewed him on the news.

"Look, Daniel is a great bloke really... well, from what I can tell he's a great bloke... from watching him on tv... he's a great football player anyway..."

If you're over 15 and still hero worshipping players and equating their good bloke-ness with how well they can play footy then you've probably got a few issues yourself.

you obviously missed the 6+ years of "you're rumor mongering...ben wouldnt do that...he's a fine young gentleman and a great role model...tall poppy much"

For the record, the culture that existed at my club during that period is something I, and I suspect a majority of eagles fans, am not proud of. Regarding Kerr currently, I have no strong feelings one way or another. The courts will deal with it accordingly. I'm also not interested in the '...but Jeff Farmer and Michael Johnson...' pissing contest mentality of some wce fans on here.
And THERE'S the difference, right there - I DO have strong feelings about the reputations, health and happiness of my long-term friends and their families and won't hesitate to defend them whenever and wherever the situation arises, and regardless of what you or anyone else thinks. And that's why I revile that very small percentage of WCE supporters such as yourself who have already washed your hands of Kerr, Cousins, Fletcher et al; you've got what you've wanted from them in the form of a tin cup stamped "2006" and the boasting rights that goes with it and what happens to them next counts for nothing.

And THERE'S the difference, right there - I DO have strong feelings about the reputations, health and happiness of my long-term friends and their families and won't hesitate to defend them whenever and wherever the situation arises, and regardless of what you or anyone else thinks. And that's why I revile that very small percentage of WCE supporters such as yourself who have already washed your hands of Kerr, Cousins, Fletcher et al; you've got what you've wanted from them in the form of a tin cup stamped "2006" and the boasting rights that goes with it and what happens to them next counts for nothing.

So now you know me do you? Clearly, because you're able to pass judgement on my feelings about that era, incorrectly too I must say. That's ok though, still think there's about as much chance of you knowing me in that way as there is you knowing Kerr's family well.

Do I wish the club had shown better governance during that period? Absolutely. Do I think some people, including some still on staff, needed to be held more accountable for how things were able to get so far out of hand? Absolutely. Do I wish things were different and Cuz and chicky had retired as revered west coast legends and Kerr, hunter, fletcher et al had been better prepared for a normal life after football? Absolutely. Do I think that should make me and every other west coast fan apologetic for the actions of fully grown men every time one of them steps out of line from here on for the rest of their lives. Nope. No matter how you like to spin it, the 100, 000 or so eagles supporters in wa are not responsible for where these guys are at. And having strong feelings about something that you have zero chance of influencing is a mugs game. As I said, it is sad where kerr is at, but it's thecourts problem now.

see the Goldman dilemma.

What a crock of sh*t, If you knew Chris, and what his Mum and Dad meant to him, you would never think to write that. Im not going to sit here and say he didnt enjoy he limelight etc, nearly all of us would given the chance, but having the choice knowing the EXACT outcome... NO

Big words don't always make you right!

What a crock of sh*t, If you knew Chris, and what his Mum and Dad meant to him, you would never think to write that. Im not going to sit here and say he didnt enjoy he limelight etc, nearly all of us would given the chance, but having the choice knowing the EXACT outcome... NO

Big words don't always make you right!
not a value judgement.

google: Goldman Dilemma

I was using CM as more code, or cypher, for the personality type and decision making process. I know not everyone would be like that, but I do think it has a foundation in that social science research from Goldman.

not far enough IMO. nisbert should have been marched. since then he still sticks to the old boys club mentality

A St Kilda supporter should not be commenting after the dal santo, st nick and milne catastrophes

not a value judgement.

google: Goldman Dilemma

I was using CM as more code, or cypher, for the personality type and decision making process. I know not everyone would be like that, but I do think it has a foundation in that social science research from Goldman.

My suggestion would then be to you, to prove a point, run a hypothetical, because basically all you have done here to try and sound intelligant and prove a point, is drag a good man who loved his family but made some really bad choices through the mud.

I understand the dilemma quite well without googling it, the case can be proven in any walk of life through any social skill set. All you need is a pinnacle that can be extremely hard to reach and not availble to many to for theory to be in play. For goodness sake this could be proven in a country footballer just a much as an AFL player, it all depends on what they consider their High point, if it becomes unattainable (which would be more common in sport than other fields due to age vs atheticism) then how they deal with that becomes the question.

A St Kilda supporter should not be commenting after the dal santo, st nick and milne catastrophes

Yes i'm quite glad there's no pictures of our captains dick floating around the internet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back