Other Darts - World Champs, Premier League, Ranking Events

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a good question that you ask. I say yes but he should still be feared. With that in mind if he came back and wiped all other competitors I for one would not be surprised.

For example in the Sunday round of the Coral UK Open qualifier on 9th Feb he beat Lewis with over 107 average, won the match with a 9 darter and also had a 9 darter on the way to the final with out averaging under 105. On the way he beat Thornton, Anderson and Wright.

Wow. Didn't realise that. Perhaps his best is still right up there, but maintaining his consistency might be the issue.
And guys like MVG, Lewis and even snake bite have well and truly closed the gap on him.

No doubt he's the GOAT, but he has to come back to pack at some stage.

Wow. Didn't realise that. Perhaps his best is still right up there, but maintaining his consistency might be the issue.
And guys like MVG, Lewis and even snake bite have well and truly closed the gap on him.

No doubt he's the GOAT, but he has to come back to pack at some stage.
No "perhaps", his best is right up there with the best ever IMO. Keep an eye on the circuit though. I would give my left one for it to be televised. I had an online darts convo with a player and he told me that he invariably lost a game if he did not do better that 12 darts per leg. The issue with the lessor lights is keeping the mega scoring up. This is why I chortle a bit when I read criticism of the likes of top ten players such as Wade and Whitlock and even Anderson who has dropped out of the top ten. These blokes fly and it takes mega efforts from MVG and Lewis etc to stay where they are. One of the best players I ever watched was Terry Jenkins. In another era this bloke would have been a world champ. Mervyn King as well.

Watch the quality of a "loser" in this final last week from the Dutch Masters. I got up and watched this live. What a game!

Wright is $3.50 on sportsbet to beat Taylor on Friday in the Premier league. Good odds IMO.

Not according to Rod Harrington.
He would have to be Taylors biggest fan.
His probably one of a few that think Taylor isn't declining. When I was watching it this morning I though to myself "This isn't the power of old". He kept throwing the dart in the '5' section. Not taking anything away from Wright (He's a fantastic player IMO) but after losing his first 2 PL games, you'd think he'd come back and come back hard.

Yes Phil is not the power (sorry) he once was but in that game this morning he had an average of 101 and his opponent hit 7 out of 13 attempts at the double. Awesome by Peter Wright. How good was Thornton by the way.

I think I have said it on here before I go back in Darts to about 1980 when I first started playing. I used to have the British darts mags flown in I was that keen. Got to the world cup in Brisbane and got Bristow and Lowes autograph on my darts shirt (among others) and played until my elbow gave up. I love the game and like to think I know a bit. With all that I am of the opinion that the game is at a high I never thought possible. Tthe scoring this morning was of the planet and the double were hit as good as anytime I have ever seen. How much better can these players get!

Betway Premier League Darts
Week Four
SSE Hydro, Glasgow

Peter Wright 7-1 Adrian Lewis
Robert Thornton 6-6 Wes Newton
Simon Whitlock 3-7 Phil Taylor
Michael van Gerwen 5-7 Raymond van Barneveld
Dave Chisnall 5-7 Gary Anderson

Wow, a couple of shocks there!
Snake bite beating Lewis 7-1 and Barny knocking off MVG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad