Analysis David King: Why Collingwood can't beat Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

hawthorn has owned us pretty much since the 80's, a win would be a miracle and a close game would be an absolute bonus, I have never seen it any other way with the Hawks. I still always thank the gods above that we never played the hawks in finals series of 1990 and 2010. In 1990 they smashed us in the H & A and 2010 we lost to them also in H & A. Luckily we only meet them once only loose 4 points. Pessimistic yes, worried about where we are at if we get smashed? no, result tonight makes no difference, its hawthorn

hawthorn has owned us pretty much since the 80's, a win would be a miracle and a close game would be an absolute bonus, I have never seen it any other way with the Hawks. I still always thank the gods above that we never played the hawks in finals series of 1990 and 2010. In 1990 they smashed us in the H & A and 2010 we lost to them also in H & A. Luckily we only meet them once only loose 4 points. Pessimistic yes, worried about where we are at if we get smashed? no, result tonight makes no difference, its hawthorn

So US going expecting a Result should go expecting we get Destroyed

I hope the Boys Read this and get them Motivated to stick it up David “Mr I Know Everything” King’s Ass

Shouldnt really matter cause if they need this stuff to stir themselves up then obviously they dont have the right passion for the club or the game. Winning should be enough motiviation all together.

Tonight might be an odd night, also remember Roughie, still uncertain with his prognosis, plenty to think about rather than the footy. The spirit of the game will be the winner tonight no matter the result. Actually play for a draw.

Yet he is absolutely spot on on this occasion.

Hawthorn have completely owned us for four years and we have been powerless to stop it.

Hopefully tonight will be different but if we lost by 12 goals I would in no way be surprised.

i thought king's piece was well thought out and pretty well presented. I dont understand the angst against him other than he flips his opinions of teams quickly. He is comfortably the best tactical media analyst in the game

I hope the Boys Read this and get them Motivated to stick it up David “Mr I Know Everything” King’s Ass

I'm hoping that they get motivated by the four premiership points on offer, myself...

i thought king's piece was well thought out and pretty well presented. I dont understand the angst against him other than he flips his opinions of teams quickly. He is comfortably the best tactical media analyst in the game

That won’t be hard to do that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn is the league’s best punishers of a turnover. The Hawks’ foot skills and toughness combined with the ever-changing method from Clarkson exposes Collingwood‘s sliding defence.

This defence is where the deepest Pies defender constantly leaves his man to cover other targets further up the field allowing for the Hawks to leapfrog, almost uncontested, into the forward line in a Chinese checkers fashion.

Collingwood’s main asset in 2015 has been its ability to defend turnovers.

Allowing the opposition to score from just one in every six turnovers, and conceding only 38 points against per game from turnovers, highlights why Nathan Buckley’s team defence is the competition’s best in limiting damage from lost possession.

The problem is you cannot tackle when the Hawks mark the football.

Control is King.

Therefore, Collingwood’s relentless harassment brand has less impact as the Hawks maintain their ability to hit targets when executing their skills. They simply handle the heat in traffic when the game is in full collision mode better than any other team.

He makes some fair points and the two I have highlighted will be the keys to the game.

Hawthorn have all to often been able to slice open our defence and find teammates over the top and out the back with precise kicking in recent years.

I know people have lamented that we have stuck to zoning off them which only plays into there hands all across the ground.

If plan A isn't working again early tonight we need to switch to simple man on man contested football.

He makes some fair points and the two I have highlighted will be the keys to the game.

Hawthorn have all to often been able to slice open our defence and find teammates over the top and out the back with precise kicking in recent years.

I know people have lamented that we have stuck to zoning off them which only plays into there hands all across the ground.

If plan A isn't working again early tonight we need to switch to simple man on man contested football.

We do need more then 1 Plan Tonight.

Though King has said this all year and keeps saying it will be our Downfall. Been our Lapse in Games more then our Defense that has cost us games

If we allow Hawks to set up outside the pack like they always do and we commit to many to the contest we will lose, Freo also got a lot of goals from stoppages with players sitting of the contests behind the ball.

Well Hawks don’t have Saindlands so that is less Likley to Happen.

I reckon we have the best Ruckman out there tonight

I dont really hate david king hes ok sometimes but hes half right .....to sum it up the hawks usually smack us. We have to make a stand.

I don't really know what to think much the same as last week because Hawthorn appear ripe for the picking and I felt like things changed a bit in the first match between the clubs last year (that throw against Pendlebury turned the match and was, IMO, the only time an umpiring decision has turned a match since I've been watching), but if I were to run a purely statistical eye over tonight's match I'd be inclined to think it'll be a 4-5 goal win for the Hawks which is roundly supported by neutrals, media commentators and the bookies. I would therefore hope this board doesn't go into meltdown over an expected result.

If the margin blows out to 10 goals plus you'd ask questions, .

Yep agree with all this.

I just want a 4 goal or less loss, because realistically, a win won't be happening. I've always said about that first game against them last year that "throw" cost us. The worst part was, not only was it clearly not a throw, the umpire 50 METRES AWAY WHO COULD NOT HAVE POSSIBLY SEEN IT MADE THE CALL. It's almost like someone up in the box could see Collingwood was going ot get on top and mad ethe call in a hidden earpiece to do SOMETHING to stop it so he just plucked a throw out of his ass.

Comfortably cost us the game. The Hawks just could not turn the momentum at that stage and we were simply steamrolling them in a way I haven't seen us do before. They get the free, we're caught unawares, Hawks go down kick a goal, momentum gone, game over.

I dont really hate david king hes ok sometimes but hes half right .....to sum it up the hawks usually smack us. We have to make a stand.

He is not the Worst I agree but still thinks he knows everything

As many have said, King has produced a reasoned argument to support his contention. Can't criticize him for that. It is far better than the one eyed rants that make up a lot of what is said here.
A reasoned argument doesn't make him right, as the detractors indicated with their examples. There are so many imponderables on game day, and the better side does not always win, but mostly it does. We have to hope that this is one of the other days.

As many have said, King has produced a reasoned argument to support his contention. Can't criticize him for that. It is far better than the one eyed rants that make up a lot of what is said here.
A reasoned argument doesn't make him right, as the detractors indicated with their examples. There are so many imponderables on game day, and the better side does not always win, but mostly it does. We have to hope that this is one of the other days.

So you think we are all Dumbasses on here when we Write about Pies Games?

We are all not One-Eyed when we Preview/Review our Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back