Mega Thread Dayle Garlett - I did but see him passing by... allegedly in a stolen vehicle (thanks Josh)

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't matter what environment this bloke is in...until he starts being responsible and accountable, he will still make bad choices and roll with the wrong people and then blame it on someone/something else. And unfortunately our bloody court system encourages this bs "I'm an innocent victim" mentality waaaay too much. It has become one of the most successful legal defences commonly used.

Big inference to make there. Meth is some serious s**t. While chances are not all the guys on our list are boy scouts I'm certain none of them are mixed up with anything as bad as meth and if any were to be the leadership group and the club would come down on them so hard they'd make Roughead's tackle on Hannebery in the GF look like a playful tickle.

Maybe, culture is one thing but I don't think we're immune from this kind of stuff because of it. As poster above mentioned, it certainly wouldn't surprise me (indeed I'd probably expect that there's at least a couple if not more) regular recreational drug users on our list just based on the law of averages. If you've got that as a starting point then it's entirely possible that harder stuff wouldn't be far away.

I can see some players taking ecstasy/speed/cocaine (hell I've witnessed a certain somebody that left our club for a rival doing this exact thing a few years back).

I can't imagine there would be a couple if any that would be doing ice. It's on a totally different scale as opposed to the other 3 I mentioned and a lot more addictive.

These guys have to live a very professional and disciplined lifestyle, the occasional night out on a party drug I imagine would happen amongst the younger players but I can't imagine them on ice or taking ice. If they want to become the best players they can be and make a career out of this most would be smart enough to stay away from this drug.

AFL players do drugs. It's a given.

Garlett didn't learn about or form an addiction once he was drafted though. That's the fantasy.

AFL players do drugs. It's a given.

Garlett didn't learn about or form an addiction once he was drafted though. That's the fantasy.
Exactly. To suggest a player or 2 have influenced or helped cause a meth addiction for Garlett is ridiculous.

There were several rumors he was into ice in a big way as far back as 2012.

The money and lifestyle and pressure may have caused him to seek it more and find it harder to resist however his addiction and want for the drug started years ago.

Exactly. To suggest a player or 2 have influenced or helped cause a meth addiction for Garlett is ridiculous.

There were several rumors he was into ice in a big way as far back as 2012.

The money and lifestyle and pressure may have caused him to seek it more and find it harder to resist however his addiction and want for the drug started years ago.

Yep seems he's pleading for the evil Melbourne did this to me, that's why I have come back to safe Perth to sort myself out, so sentence me softly.

If true, he's a complete _ _ _ _ .

cant believe this bloke......bs bs bs.....wherever he goes....but what REALLY does my head in is the friggn muppets on this forum who want us to go easy on him.....Lets not dance around the facts...his defence that he developed an addiction whilst in Melb...puts the HFC in a terrible light and literally blames them for his addiction...Dont give me any other crap...... poor misunderstood Dayle....F--- him and the horse he rode in on....? :mad:

cant believe this bloke......bs bs bs.....wherever he goes....but what REALLY does my head in is the friggn muppets on this forum who want us to go easy on him.....Lets not dance around the facts...his defence that he developed an addiction whilst in Melb...puts the HFC in a terrible light and literally blames them for his addiction...Dont give me any other crap...... poor misunderstood Dayle....F--- him and the horse he rode in on....? :mad:

I don't know when he became addicted, but is it really that unreasonable that his addiction started after he was drafted? And i don't really see how that being the case makes Hawthorn at all responsible, or indicates that we didn't do everything we could to help.

There's also the potential that he had used it before, but didn't become addicted until he moved away from his family and friends and into the high pressure environment that is professional sport. Either way, i don't think anyone at Hawthorn will lose any sleep over potential bad press. Everyone knew this kid had issues long before he came to Hawthorn, so it will likely be portrayed as him just making yet another mistake, just as it has been so far.

I don't know when he became addicted, but is it really that unreasonable that his addiction started after he was drafted? ...

There's also the potential that he had used it before, but didn't become addicted until he moved away from his family and friends and into the high pressure environment that is professional sport.

Its a possibility, of course..

The far greater possibility is that he brought it with him, and it was his inability to cope with the dual demands of meth addiction and a professional AFL environment that led to his contract going up.

In reality, remember, he was at Hawthorn a month before Christmas, and the s**t started hitting the fan in the new year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The far greater possibility is that he brought it with him, and it was his inability to cope with the dual demands of meth addiction and a professional AFL environment that led to his contract going up.

In reality, remember, he was at Hawthorn a month before Christmas, and the s**t started hitting the fan in the new year...

Like i said, it's kind of irrelevant when he started using it. Either way, Hawthorn would have undoubtedly done our best to help him, and Garlett still made his own mistakes that cost him his AFL career. I think it's well accepted that the guy who has a history of doing stuff like this is probably responsible for his own actions, and not the place he worked for a few months.

Like i said, it's kind of irrelevant when he started using it. Either way, Hawthorn would have undoubtedly done our best to help him, and Garlett still made his own mistakes that cost him his AFL career. I think it's well accepted that the guy who has a history of doing stuff like this is probably responsible for his own actions, and not the place he worked for a few months.

But from what I've read, it seems like he (or at least his lawyer) wants others to take responsibility for his actions.
I wish him all the best, however IMHO he'll never get anywhere while he continues to have & use the "victim/poor me" mentality that he appears to have now.

Are you saying Santa Claus could have been his dealer?

But from what I've read, it seems like he (or at least his lawyer) wants others to take responsibility for his actions.
I wish him all the best, however IMHO he'll never get anywhere while he continues to have & use the "victim/poor me" mentality that he appears to have now.

Perhaps i just haven't been reading as much regarding this as others, but from what i've read, it seems like he is simply saying that his addiction was the reason he did what he did. While it may sound like a cop out, addiction is a pretty nasty beast that can effect both your psychological and physical well being. I haven't seen him blame Hawthorn, or anyone else, just that there were factors that contributed to his actions.

Like i said, i haven't really read much on this, so he may have said something, but to me it sounds like he is trying to get out of the legal trouble he is in, not blame everyone but himself.

He learnt how to hotwire cars, use scissors in the ignition ect while at the club during induction day. As part of cutting costs to avoid the equalisation tax players no longer get issued with Cabcharge cards.

He learnt how to hotwire cars, use scissors in the ignition ect while at the club during induction day. As part of cutting costs to avoid the equalisation tax players no longer get issued with Cabcharge cards.
I bet he didn't.

We would have gone all hi-tech by now. Clarko would have done a few tours of Detroit and Chicago, plus Germany and Japan to learn new strategies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back