Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Draft Washup edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Found EH's thoughts on Powell from earlier:

A little undersized for his role, a touch one dimensional, but a sound defender, strong overhead and has pretty good disposal. Could do with a little more agility and pace if he doesn't grow some more.

Claremonts underage depth is that awesome that in spite of losing players to the U18's they've managed to to easily shift players up to ressies.

Maginess is quick, which is exactly what we need after taking the slowest player in the draft Dom Sheed to add to the worst and slowest midfield probably ever in the AFL.

Slower than Hawthorn with the likes of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis and Roughead rotating through?

Our midfield isn't slow by any stretch. They are poor mind you.

Usual out of nowhere stuff from the eagles in the rookie draft. Would have liked a tall midfielder but I suppose the recruiters know more than us

So let me get this straight....

We gave up pick 28 for Yeo when we were offering 31. We did so when in the PSD we could have effectively got him risk free as we would have had the second live pick. The first live pick going to GWS who were committed to Lamb.

Solid....

I don't mind giving up a pick - but folding like a cheap suit over the 28/31 pick was ridiculous when we held all the cards

Ignores the fact Yeo said he wasn't going to walk but wanted to be traded.....

Slower than Hawthorn with the likes of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis and Roughead rotating through?

Our midfield isn't slow by any stretch. They are poor mind you.
One paced then. With that pace being slow.

Look everyone says we're slow, I don't need to watch games to confirm it.

Shuey not slow (quick), scott selwood is not slow, priddis slow, . It is more about how we move the ball rather than the pace. We dont release players to space enough. Yes we dont have any lightning quick outside players but we are not slow. Hawks are slower in the centre square, and Freo are the same as us (mundy, fyfe, Barlow). The difference is the Hawks use the ball better and Freo are tall and have super quick outside runners.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/rowen-powell

The profile someone posted above is wrong. He's taller and heavier. Played as a KPD with Claremont colts and has good rebound. From Broome and dominated the league up there playing against men as a 16 year old CHF.

If any of you were paying attention then I'd dropped a few hints around here that this was going to happen ;).

Also I think I should be in the player sponsor draft now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's all well and good, but he's now measured at 193cm. Towers over me and I'm normalish at 185. I'd say he's still got a little more to grow and will be true KPD height.

Those same "everyone's" picked us for the flag last year. You'll excuse me if I do watch the games and form my own view.

Priddis is slow I'll grant that.

Wellingham, Selwood, Shuey are not slow or one paced. Neither is Naitanui.

What we are is poor with ball movement which makes us look slow. We don't get into space as often as is required.

But actual leg speed is fine - Aside from Hill - Freo's midfield is Barlow, Mundy, Crowley, De Boer and Fyfe. Only Fyfe has any pace - and he isn't at Shuey's level. Barlow's as slow as Priddis.

Ignores the fact Yeo said he wasn't going to walk but wanted to be traded.....

Where was that quoted?

Carlton held firm on Docherty, Collingwood held firm on pick 10

West coast bend like a vegas hooker.

Had we come out and ponied up 28 from the start it doesn't look as bad. But after we manipulate our first pick and spend 3 weeks saying PIck 28 isn't happening - to then pony it up was weak.

Then to try and sell some magic beans to the supporters that Pick 28 was only available because of the Pick 6 trade is a fallacy. The Yeo trade and pick 6 trades ended up being completely separate.

Where was that quoted?

Carlton held firm on Docherty, Collingwood held firm on pick 10

West coast bend like a vegas hooker.

Had we come out and ponied up 28 from the start it doesn't look as bad. But after we manipulate our first pick and spend 3 weeks saying PIck 28 isn't happening - to then pony it up was weak.

Then to try and sell some magic beans to the supporters that Pick 28 was only available because of the Pick 6 trade is a fallacy. The Yeo trade and pick 6 trades ended up being completely separate.

So we're the town bicycle, everyone get's a ride? :p

Agree TFS

In 2011 when we played the midfield press we looked like and played like a top 4 team - great ball movement, great skills - which made us looked good and quick.

In 2012 & 2013 we played like crap and looked slow as a result.

The good thing about Masten, Selwood, Shuey, Naitanui, Sheed - is that they all have sub 3.00sec 20m sprint times and they are quick over the first few steps - which is exactly what you need from clearance players. They are definitely not slow and will look much better with better clearance work, better skills and ball movement.

That was the first game i watched him play.

Still pretty linear given his long stride length but given he plays behind the ball most of the time it's not really an issue. Powell is pretty quick in a straight line. Don't know if it was his restricted preseason or just that first game in question but he didn't move off his man much that game. As the season played out it was obvious that he loves to run and carry, project up field as much as possible.

Kicking is a little harder to judge as a strength or weaknesses because he makes good decisions and plays to his ability. It can be a little funny when he runs his full measure or more and kicks a 20m stab pass, but it's efficient. He can also hit his long targets but he's not one to blaze away, very selective.

Defensively i've loved his work all season. He's not the biggest player but he gets a lot out of his body mass, has nice long reach and is an adept spoiler of the ball.

His round 22 game was one of the best games played by anyone in 2013 Colts season. The game was a white wash and the ball down Claremonts end a whole lot so he played almost as a high wingman. He dominated as that drop off defender, with plenty of intercept marks, running and kicking inside 50. Even impressed with competent work at stoppages on the outside.

Comparison would be somewhere between an Andrew Mackie and Will Schofield. He was partner in crime to Tom Barrass and it will be good to see if he can continue his rapid improvement at WC next year.

Measured at 193 and 82kg at the State Combine FWIW.

Agree TFS

In 2011 when we played the midfield press we looked like and played like a top 4 team - great ball movement, great skills - which made us looked good and quick.

In 2012 & 2013 we played like crap and looked slow as a result.

The good thing about Masten, Selwood, Shuey, Naitanui, Sheed - is that they all have sub 3.00sec 20m sprint times and they are quick over the first few steps - which is exactly what you need from clearance players. They are definitely not slow and will look much better with better clearance work, better skills and ball movement.

Agree with 2013 but 2012 i thought we played pretty well and beat some top sides in the Pies, Hawks & Geelong with some aggressive football. We did get found out later in the year but to say we played crap is not something i agree with.

Agree with 2013 but 2012 i thought we played pretty well and beat some top sides in the Pies, Hawks & Geelong with some aggressive football. We did get found out later in the year but to say we played crap is not something i agree with.

Yeah agree. For me 2011 is always my reference year. In 2012 although we played decent football it was no where near as good as 2011 IMO.

Those same "everyone's" picked us for the flag last year. You'll excuse me if I do watch the games and form my own view.

Priddis is slow I'll grant that.

Wellingham, Selwood, Shuey are not slow or one paced. Neither is Naitanui.

What we are is poor with ball movement which makes us look slow. We don't get into space as often as is required.

But actual leg speed is fine - Aside from Hill - Freo's midfield is Barlow, Mundy, Crowley, De Boer and Fyfe. Only Fyfe has any pace - and he isn't at Shuey's level. Barlow's as slow as Priddis.

What Hawthorn and Freo have is quick, line breaking players sprinkled through the side who inject pace when needed. Freo have Hill, Pearce, Ballantyne .... Hawks went out of their way to promote and play Hill before he was ready and they have Rioli and others ...

Shuey is decent but not electric quick and we have one paced defenders, one paced mids (our outside mids aren't quick) and one paced forwards ...

It's not just ball movement, we lack the sort of electric quick line breakers that can create or score those easy break away goals that are so damaging in current style of footy...

We have got a few decent speed mids, non plodders, but I doubt there is anyone that terrifies other teams in a metre of space goal side... those other sides have guys that kill you from that position...

We could use dangerous pace across the ground. That could be via a half forward who rotates mid or it could be via quick outside players who start defensive side of contests (Hill & Pearce at Freo)...

The notion that pure speed isn't something we lack is nonsense. But we don't need everyone to have it, just an injection across the team ...

Ball movement is an issue in part because our primary inside mid is both slow of body and mind when it comes to creative/offensive ball use ... but hey let's not go there :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back