Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/features/retirements-and-delistings.workstation

Interesting that we were the 2nd lowest to cull - higher only by 1 that the violet crumbles.

What does it reveal?
- Relatively young list (not so with Violets)
- Players not wanting to live in Perth (cost of living, isolation and reduced prospect for number of games due to strenuous air travel)
- Do not rate the depth in the draft as much as our counterparts east of the Nullarbor
- Really confident on the extremely talented bunch of kids that are biting at the bit and ready to step up from EP to steal the show
- Crap at list management
- Crap at negotiating
- Brilliant list not only needing a tweak (in your dreams)
- Saving up for greater delistings next year because it is always better next year
- All or the above
- Some of the above

Interesting that we were the 2nd lowest to cull - higher only by 1 that the violet crumbles.

What does it reveal?
- Players not wanting to live in Perth (cost of living, isolation and reduced prospect for number of games due to strenuous air travel)
- Do not rate the depth in the draft as much as our counterparts east of the Nullarbor
- Really confident on the extremely talented bunch of kids that are biting at the bit and ready to step up from EP to steal the show
- Crap at negotiating
- Saving up for greater delistings next year because it is always better next year
- All or the above
- Some of the above
4698.1389425609.jpeg

If that's the case id take him, I didn't see any stats just what I heard, is he quick?

matt_bas he is not slow bit pace isn't one of his assets however there is nothing wrong with his kicking and he is a smart player who rarely looses his feet .

Whilst he is a average pace he does extracate himself out of a packs well and is good in heavy traffic.

Also not shy at putting his head over the ball, the kids a goer.

He does tick a lot of boxes but I see him in the 17- 25 range and whoever gets him will have picked up a good player.

Agreed. Both have bolted a little in the phantoms towards the end of the year. Knowing us we'll pick up a WA kid or two. Would Mitch Mcgovern be a reach for our second? Or Brendan Abbott?
Yes. Abbott especially, gets a lot of love for somebody who hasn't done much IMO.

Agreed. Both have bolted a little in the phantoms towards the end of the year. Knowing us we'll pick up a WA kid or two. Would Mitch Mcgovern be a reach for our second? Or Brendan Abbott?
Both woukd be a mistake at pick 32. There will be real quality at this pick.

Yes. Abbott especially, gets a lot of love for somebody who hasn't done much IMO.
I don't know too much about him Thorney, but some people certainly share your sentiment about him being overrated...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...d-and-underrated.1081083/page-2#post-35956880

I would be happy to look at either of them at our third. I want Viojo-Rainbow because he fills a need for a classy HBF. Especially so considering we look to be losing plenty over the next couple of years to delistings and retirements.

What does it reveal?
- Crap at negotiating
- All or the above
- Some of the above
We are low because we didnt cull any rookies and nobody got traded/poached. 6 off the main list is decent. Freo only delisted 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

matt_bas he is not slow bit pace isn't one of his assets however there is nothing wrong with his kicking and he is a smart player who rarely looses his feet .

Whilst he is a average pace he does extracate himself out of a packs well and is good in heavy traffic.

Also not shy at putting his head over the ball, the kids a goer.

He does tick a lot of boxes but I see him in the 17- 25 range and whoever gets him will have picked up a good player.
Thanks for that

Everyone has us taking Pickett at #11 because we need speed through the middle.
If we take our needs out of the equation, is Pickett looking likely to be best available at #11 or are there better prospects likely to be available?
I would be highly surprised if he were available at #11, so if he was then it would have to be said that he was the best available at #11.

Everyone has us taking Pickett at #11 because we need speed through the middle.
If we take our needs out of the equation, is Pickett looking likely to be best available at #11 or are there better prospects likely to be available?

I find it difficult to rank the mids around that range (Weller, Pickett, Ahern and Laverde) because they're all pretty different with regards to styles, strengths, weaknesses, ceiling etc.

Fair to say though at #11 he would be a pretty value deal. If anything that's a slide for him as opposed to a reach.

So will the Giants use pick four on Pickett, presumably?

Pick 5 to the Pies would be a threat to them and they'd probably be confident Collingwood would want a small (and overlook someone like Wright or Lever).

2nd: nelson, miller, kietel, rainbow, slider

3rd: de luca, markov, cripps, McGovern, slider

4th: abbott, panos, Anderson, mcguiness, slidr

Would be happy if we came out with duggan, kietel, de luca, abbott, waterman.

At this current point in time, assuming Pickett -> GWS is a real thing, I'm convinced we need to go the Cockatoo route.
McCartin
Petracca
Wright
Bradshaw
Lever
Durdin
Moore
Weller
Ahern
Laverde
Pickett

Each of these 11 players would be a legitimate top ten choice.

I believe we should just pick the player who slides to us whatever his size or position.

We would be naive to believe that we can turn our team into a premiership contender in just one draft so there is definitely an argument for taking the best available at our first pick.

Clearly there are other options with our 3rd, 4th and 5th picks.

We are low because we didnt cull any rookies and nobody got traded/poached. 6 off the main list is decent. Freo only delisted 3.
We have 7-8 new recruits that have not played afl coming in if you include adamson and brophy that's almost more than any other team will have . We have talent on our rookie list with Sinclair who will be upgraded
Newman - has massive talent
Maginness - was very good this year before injury . Needs to iron out a few things in his game
Powell - long term prospect .
Why delist ?
If we were being conservative its MaGinnity and hill who add depth at afl level and leadership at east Perth this year
I could see these 2 being delisted next year with Newman and maginness being upgraded . Also saves us reaching to far into a depleted talent pool this year with late picks

McCartin
Petracca
Wright
Bradshaw
Lever
Durdin
Moore
Weller
Ahern
Laverde
Pickett

Each of these 11 players would be a legitimate top ten choice.

I believe we should just pick the player who slides to us whatever his size or position.

We would be naive to believe that we can turn our team into a premiership contender in just one draft so there is definitely an argument for taking the best available at our first pick.

Clearly there are other options with our 3rd, 4th and 5th picks.

Agreed re best available. But is ahern a better option than duggan or de goey? Personally think de goey has the most upside of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back