Depressing songs

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Michael Hutchence, he used to have a blink-and-you'll-miss-it side project band called Max Q. This song, Way of the World, is depressing as f*ck.

I liked the manager's reaction in the INXS telemovie recently - "Come on mate, you're not Nick Cave." :D

And the response, 20 years later:

disgusted-clint-eastwood.gif

Last edited:

Love some of Frusciante's stuff and this soundtrack he did is melancholy. Can't speak for the film heard it's a strange one though!

I can't stop listening to that first track. It's great! :thumbsu:

Albarn's politics seem to begin and end with "war isn't good! don't go to war!" which is a little elementary and naive for me, but if you think like that you're going to have a heap of fodder for songs. This sounds like a man completely withdrawn and dropped by the state of his world; who feels like his world is just depleted and desolate. Love the image it paints. That little guitar line is just so intense, so too those whirring walls of sound.

I would say this is pretty more than anything because I enjoy a bit of melancholy, none of these songs in here strike me as absolutely depressing. Maybe only the Destroyer album or something, but they're more just emotionally intense and exhausting.

The odd exception like Hungry Heart and Out In The Street notwithstanding, The River was a real downer of an album. Stolen Car, Fade Away, Point Blank, Wreck On The Highway...take your pick of wrist-slashing inspiration.

If you like depressing songs or songs that are beautifully depressing, Tom Waits is the man. Poor Edward will make your dog depressed and the violins at the end would cut though brick.... Brilliant!

Great artist. My favourite Tom Waits song is 'Tom Traubert's Blues'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find rock songs impossible to get depressed by. There's so much Smashing Pumpkins that'd kill me if it were slower but instead something like Today is just a great song. Who knows.

Arab Strap are the kings of depression. Well there at least at a round-table. I imagine Falkirk to resemble my coastal hometown from April to early October when it's either grey or too grey to even categorise. Bleak. Like the Falklands as my old man would say. Some of their albums are crushing to listen to, and this is one of their bigger moments – easier to get into and probably optimistic. At least the lass danced with him, even if she were a right cow. I don't like how it seems like my future. Send help. It's very nice though and you should listen to it.

I think this is just a really nice song but then again I thought Frog and Toad was achingly depressing and some tale about how they only had each other and as romantic as their friendship was, it was all they had. So I have no hope. But, You'll Need those Fingers for Crossing by Los Campesinos!

And this thing too...

These two are accccching

About 75% of Leonard Cohen's catalogue would probably fit the "not necessarily sad songs but rather songs that have a depressing feel about them" criteria.

Johnny Cash had some very dark depressing songs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back