PC Diablo III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
God damn there is a lot of confusing talk for a sequel of D2, a game which was basically just click repetitively with a group of friends :/

Going co-op with some friends come 5pm Tuesday. I'm going Barb and will try a AOE type build to begin with and change skills before boss fights where possible.

When my mates aren't on I'll probably run a Witch Doctor though as my first solo character.

Does AOE mean multiple targets? and DPS single targets?

DPS = damage per second
AOE = Area of Effect

Some abilities/spells will do damage to a single target for a high DPS and some do damage to an area (hitting groups of monsters) but do lower DPS.

So you use AOE skills for when there are lots of enemies with low health in an area... and use your higher DPS skills for single targets.

DPS = damage per second
AOE = Area of Effect

Some abilities/spells will do damage to a single target for a high DPS and some do damage to an area (hitting groups of monsters) but do lower DPS.

So you use AOE skills for when there are lots of enemies with low health in an area... and use your higher DPS skills for single targets.

Not to overcomplicate things here as Kaysee is doing a great job of explaining it, but I thought I'd add that DPS can actually be high when AOEing, it's just the single-target-DPS will be lower.

So AOE definitely = Area of Effect, AoE/AOE abilities are generally those like a rain of fire, shards of ice or whatever that will hit have a larger 'area of effect ;)' and hit multiple targets. To compensate for the fact multiple targets are getting hit, you'll find the damage is lower, to offset the fact you're hitting multiple targets.

Example:

Warrior can hit 1 target for 100 damage per second. His DPS is 100.

A mage can hit 5 targets for 20 damage per second each. His/Her DPS is 100.

So assuming they each have 200 life, it'll take roughly 20 seconds for each class to kill the 10 mobs (assuming 0 time for the warrior to change target).

If however, you can round up 20 targets... the mage is hitting 20 targets for 20 damage per second, resulting in 400 DPS.

Obviously you can see there is a point where it's advantageous to have single target dps (in this case <5 mobs), a break even (5 mobs), or where it's better to AOE (in this case >5 mobs).

I realise now I've written that you probably completely understood and it was unnecessary, but I've written it anyway :(:eek:

Not to overcomplicate things here as Kaysee is doing a great job of explaining it, but I thought I'd add that DPS can actually be high when AOEing, it's just the single-target-DPS will be lower.

So AOE definitely = Area of Effect, AoE/AOE abilities are generally those like a rain of fire, shards of ice or whatever that will hit have a larger 'area of effect ;)' and hit multiple targets. To compensate for the fact multiple targets are getting hit, you'll find the damage is lower, to offset the fact you're hitting multiple targets.

Example:

Warrior can hit 1 target for 100 damage per second. His DPS is 100.

A mage can hit 5 targets for 20 damage per second each. His/Her DPS is 100.

So assuming they each have 200 life, it'll take roughly 20 seconds for each class to kill the 10 mobs (assuming 0 time for the warrior to change target).

If however, you can round up 20 targets... the mage is hitting 20 targets for 20 damage per second, resulting in 400 DPS.

Obviously you can see there is a point where it's advantageous to have single target dps (in this case <5 mobs), a break even (5 mobs), or where it's better to AOE (in this case >5 mobs).

I realise now I've written that you probably completely understood and it was unnecessary, but I've written it anyway :(:eek:

^ exactly... That's the more detailed version. I was/am posting from my phone so CBF typing too much. ;)

The only other thing that should be pointed out is AOE skills normally cost more resources (mana etc) to use... so you have to weigh up what is the best bang for your resource.

God damn there is a lot of confusing talk for a sequel of D2, a game which was basically just click repetitively with a group of friends :/
As nerdy as the VG Board can and may be. This by far takes the cake for nerdism in terms of threads.

They have their own language and jokes!:eek:

Lol if you play PC games online long enough you learn them, just like you learn what wtf, lol, brb etc mean.

PC gaming has its own terminology like every other major job/activity in the world.

Btw this thread actually isn't that nerdy, I can certainly promise the real big nerds in Australia certainly ain't on big footy!

So I've pre-ordered Diablo 3 from EB games and eagerly await my week off work next week to put in insane amounts of hours into this game. Have been a Diablo fan from the start (Diablo 1 on PC) and still play Diablo 2 expansion to this day.

I've been more excited for this game like nothing before- so I decided to troll the internet to find out as much as I could about it. Now I'm wishing I didn't. The more I find out, and the more I see of D3 the more disappointed I'm becoming. The graphics look cartoonish and all I can do is draw comparisons to WOW? It doesn't seem like the designers have stayed true to the Diablo model.

Worse still, you can't assign skill points or attribute points anymore. Which basically means that every Barb or Wizard is the same (apart from items). This is most depressing... Diablo 3 is no longer an RPG but an isometric action game. Yes your character becomes more powerful and unlocks more skills- in direct response to harder and more challenging enemies.

Hmmm... I'll give this game a chance, don't get me wrong. But I can't help but feel like the direction of the Diablo series will lose me as a fan.

So I've pre-ordered Diablo 3 from EB games and eagerly await my week off work next week to put in insane amounts of hours into this game. Have been a Diablo fan from the start (Diablo 1 on PC) and still play Diablo 2 expansion to this day.

I've been more excited for this game like nothing before- so I decided to troll the internet to find out as much as I could about it. Now I'm wishing I didn't. The more I find out, and the more I see of D3 the more disappointed I'm becoming. The graphics look cartoonish and all I can do is draw comparisons to WOW? It doesn't seem like the designers have stayed true to the Diablo model.

Worse still, you can't assign skill points or attribute points anymore. Which basically means that every Barb or Wizard is the same (apart from items). This is most depressing... Diablo 3 is no longer an RPG but an isometric action game. Yes your character becomes more powerful and unlocks more skills- in direct response to harder and more challenging enemies.

Hmmm... I'll give this game a chance, don't get me wrong. But I can't help but feel like the direction of the Diablo series will lose me as a fan.
Maybe just me... But it's always been that first and foremost... Never called it an RPG.

As nerdy as the VG Board can and may be. This by far takes the cake for nerdism in terms of threads.

They have their own language and jokes!:eek:

No more so than the MW3 threads... not bagging MW3... but all game communities have their own quirks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I raised a similar point earlier in the thread and PP and I traded a few opinions.

Like you, I value that character building and investment a player has with their character... Which is lost somewhat in D3. The customisation in D3 will be more based around the gear you find, buy and like. It will all be about itemisation (which.. when U think about it will help drive the RLAH and more $ to Blizzard). Players will identify items they really want for their build types to help improve base stats and skills... or to just look cool. So 2 barbs can be totally different because their gear will define their builds.

Hard to explain it with out playing it... Say you start finding cool unique gear for a DH with +Grenade skill bonuses on it, you might respec your DH around those grenade skills, whereas another DH might stay purely with bows etc.

Will be interesting to see how things play out.

I raised a similar point earlier in the thread and PP and I traded a few opinions.

Like you, I value that character building and investment a player has with their character... Which is lost somewhat in D3. The customisation in D3 will be more based around the gear you find, buy and like. It will all be about itemisation (which.. when U think about it will help drive the RLAH and more $ to Blizzard). Players will identify items they really want for their build types to help improve base stats and skills... or to just look cool. So 2 barbs can be totally different because their gear will define their builds.

Hard to explain it with out playing it... Say you start finding cool unique gear for a DH with +Grenade skill bonuses on it, you might respec your DH around those grenade skills, whereas another DH might stay purely with bows etc.

Will be interesting to see how things play out.

It will be fine. I think with the long wait we have had, people just start picking negatives out of nothing, happens with every long awaited game.

There will be alot of customization and different builds floating around then there were in D2. I could probably name 6-7 builds which nearly everyone had in D2 by the end.

I gather from the responses that the changes are for the better, and that the game will be more balanced... And possibly better?

Good:D

I guess you're right about how characters in Diablo 2 were highly tweaked, specific builds with almost identical skill + stat layouts to be viable in Hell mode.

At least I can still treasure hunt for the best items for my character. I really hope they've kept an extensive list of uniques, rares etc.

By the end of D2 you (well, I) just ended up trying to spec and gear all the obscure / uncommon builds I could think of

Warcry Barb
Frenzy Barb
Freezing Arrow Amazon
Holy Bolt Paladin (farmed Pindleskin like a lord)
Fireball Paladin (synergies + Trangs set ftw)

etc

My point is, the build you chose defined the gear that you wanted / needed. Same will play in D3 you'd assume - you'll collect the gear that is best for the playstyle that you want, not adjust your playstyle for the gear that you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back