Game Day Dimma's EF spray

Remove this Banner Ad

The argument was s**t SACKED coaches that went on to achieve something elsewhere.
who are they?

Heh that is your argument which had nothing, zero to do with my post which i have quoted below :drunk:. You are just being cheaky. You know we have killed countless coaches careers before they could get off the ground and paid for it for holding onto to two spuds in frawley and wallace.

Now tell me where I said, "coaches that have achieved something elsewhere" ?

We sacked hafey after 76 who went on to win flags with the pies
We sacked Jewell after he got us into a GF ffs
We saked Barker,Paterson,Spool all in either 1 year in the job or there second year, yeah right thats long enough to determine if they were good enough :drunk:
Also after sacking wallis in his second year, that sealed our fate to hold onto the 2 amigos for a combined 10 years before getting Hardwick.

Note i have not included the Giesch has he quit.

Bottom line TI, instead of actually refuting my post, you are trying to side track with another angle that has nothing to do with my reply. So i ask you, a question. Are you suggesting old Richmond were the perfect example of professionalism sacking 6 coaches within a combined 15 year period because they were not "good enough" ?

Sorry brother but that statement is absolute rubbish. Old Richmond would have sacked him by now.

I am also of the view that we should hold off till the end of the year, regardless of outside pressure before we re sign him as he needs to win a final to go forward with us but with that said, the work he has done since taking over has been nothing short of excellent. Losing 3 finals does no wipe the good away as that is a serious short sided view and harkens back to he reactive management that nearly killed our club.

Prior to Hardwick, we were the club that defined the meaning of s**t. We had zero culture, zero respect and most importantly we kept on repeating our mistakes over and over. With Hardwick, he did not in his first two years try to "win" games with re treads or big names. He as a young coach was incredibility brave to go into the job and in the first two season, not worry about the short term view of winning 9 or 10 games but changed the list wholesale.

Now before some come on here and say he was not brave, yada yada as he was under no pressure. Please just read some posts before the port game ( his first win) from not just some on this board but over all in the general media. They were screaming he was a spud, Tigers made another mistake and got another Wallace etc etc.

IMO 2013 we made the finals when we really should not have considering our youth. That year exceeded my expectations as i thought we would make finals in year 2014. Yes in 2014 was a disaster but again experience wise and age wise, we were nearly 1 and a half years younger then the opposition so again, losing that game was to me expected, the manner in how we lost it was unforgivable but the coach does not play on the ground, imo the port game was on the players more then hardwick.

Hardwick did a masterful job to even get us into the finals that year by recovering our season when it looked like it was becoming a train wreck. Not many coaches have shown they can turn that around but Hardwick has shown he can.

IMO last year, was poor. Was a poor effort by the coaches and the players. I am not shying away from that. That is why i am happy to let him coach the year to prove to us, himself and the club he can and will learn from mistakes made that day but to suggest we should have sacked him prior is rubbish. Hardwick was the type of coach we needed to lift ourselves up from the s**t, to now becoming at least a finals qualifying side that is sustainable...we just need now to take that extra step.

You are kidding right ?

Our history is littered with dead coaches sacked before they could actually show they could get success. hell, we even sacked coaches who won us a flag in the year prior. Teatly is the one that bucked the trend when he was sacked by us, he still went on to coach elsewhere, most just gave it away and who could blame them.

it was the reason we held on to spud and wallace so long, to prove to new coaches we had changed....i cant believe you forget that lol

what a load of absolute crap. What is this s**t? -> most just gave it away.....so you are suggesting that they would not have taken a job as a coach if there were clubs after them? get outta here with that s**t...as for sacking the coach who won a flag the year prior, yeah he was indeed another s**t coach...FFS, I could have sat there and watched the 80 side take all before them...they were just to good for anyone else that year.....the story goes like this...the tiges were exepecting Sheeds to retire and he was going to slide into the coaching job, but Sheeds knew all to well there was another flag there for the taking in that team and extended his career. So the tiges hired Groucho to warm the seat, with the full intention of a seamless transition to Sheeds...so we win the flag and what to do now? you cant get rid of the premiership coach, so Gorucho stays on, Sheeds retires, the *ign drug cheats pounce and build an empire and we become a s**t triuck for the next 30 years...;)

So if the skill of the team overrides the quality of the coach as in the 1980 GF team and as you say anyone could coach then the current team is not good enough and it wouldn't matter who we coach?

You can't have it both ways

If the coach is responsible for failure then he is responsible for success as well

what a load of absolute crap. What is this s**t? -> most just gave it away.....so you are suggesting that they would not have taken a job as a coach if there were clubs after them? get outta here with that s**t...as for sacking the coach who won a flag the year prior, yeah he was indeed another s**t coach...FFS, I could have sat there and watched the 80 side take all before them...they were just to good for anyone else that year.....the story goes like this...the tiges were exepecting Sheeds to retire and he was going to slide into the coaching job, but Sheeds knew all to well there was another flag there for the taking in that team and extended his career. So the tiges hired Groucho to warm the seat, with the full intention of a seamless transition to Sheeds...so we win the flag and what to do now? you cant get rid of the premiership coach, so Gorucho stays on, Sheeds retires, the ****ign drug cheats pounce and build an empire and we become a s**t triuck for the next 30 years...;)

/sigh Again read my post ffs lol

I am not getting into the argument of what coaches we sacked, which are many have gone on to success. That was not the topic, bloody hell. lol

What I believe, is that one of the reasons we were s**t for 30 years was cutting coaches balls off in a short time frame, Let me put it this way and back on topic to what we were actually discussing. Would it have been professional of us to sack hardwick before the 2012 season ? As based on TI reply, that is where we differ. Old Richmond would have and that is the reverse of professional.

/sigh Again read my post ffs lol

I am not getting into the argument of what coaches we sacked, which are many have gone on to success. That was not the topic, bloody hell. lol

What I believe, is that one of the reasons we were s**t for 30 years was cutting coaches balls off in a short time frame, Let me put it this way and back on topic to what we were actually discussing. Would it have been professional of us to sack hardwick before the 2012 season ? As based on TI reply, that is where we differ. Old Richmond would have and that is the reverse of professional.

I will say it again, our process or lack of it was the reason why we hired and sacked duds. What worries me now is that our so called new look up market brains trust, put in a process to select the coach and its looking like it was putting in a process for the sake of looking like we had a process and select Dimma by default, i.e. he was the best of a bad bunch that came to the interview and looked totally professional and committed with his powerpoint
presentation, and we hired him purely because he was an understudy to Clarkson and he could have left the powerpoint presentation in the car.

Dimma has done ok, but I fear its mostly due to the constant infrastructure upgrades the football dept is constantly given to improve...not because he has what it takes to win flags. He most defeintely lacks a killer instinct when dealing with lapses in form by his favs and continues to accept mediocre to s**t house performances by his top shelf, in games that demand they perform and then his "spray" makes news...like if he was on the f***ing job, this "spray" would not need to be news.
I will evaluate his preformance this year when we play teams in games that matter and how we perform in those games against benchmarks...if we fall short again and we have more of the same in terms of sub standard output by key members of the team, followed up by more apologies, then Dimma can kiss the job good bye IMO.

I will say it again, our process or lack of it was the reason why we hired and sacked duds. What worries me now is that our so called new look up market brains trust, put in a process to select the coach and its looking like it was putting in a process for the sake of looking like we had a process and select Dimma by default, i.e. he was the best of a bad bunch that came to the interview and looked totally professional and committed with his powerpoint
presentation, and we hired him purely because he was an understudy to Clarkson and he could have left the powerpoint presentation in the car.

Dimma has done ok, but I fear its mostly due to the constant infrastructure upgrades the football dept is constantly given to improve...not because he has what it takes to win flags. He most defeintely lacks a killer instinct when dealing with lapses in form by his favs and continues to accept mediocre to s**t house performances by his top shelf, in games that demand they perform and then his "spray" makes news...like if he was on the f***ing job, this "spray" would not need to be news.
I will evaluate his preformance this year when we play teams in games that matter and how we perform in those games against benchmarks...if we fall short again and we have more of the same in terms of sub standard output by key members of the team, followed up by more apologies, then Dimma can kiss the job good bye IMO.

I actually agree with you mate, good post.

In essence, he *has* performed well. Where i differ from you is that with his favorites, he has played them IMO as we had little to no real depth. I also want us to not resign him till the end of the year, not because he is a bad coach. IMO he has shown some strong attributes in regards to culture and motivation. IMO not many coaches could have kept the playing group up for 9 weeks straight in the belief we could still play finals when we were 3-10.

But as you say, I also worry that he may have reached his limit and our club deserves more then OK. IMO we cant get Clarkson, thats a pipe dream so if at the end of the year, we fail, lets hope our admin shows killer instinct and prys a coach of quality lose. Who that would be, i have no idea.

Really ? Guess I missed it when the GWS and GCS made the finals, as our list in 2013 was as young as theirs :p.

My point was simply after 2011 and 2012 where we lost a lot of close games, i expected half of those which would have put us on 11 wins, not enough to make finals. making finals to me was above expectation, that is my opinion.
I did say "well run club". Those two sides were just starting out.

what a load of absolute crap. What is this s**t? -> most just gave it away.....so you are suggesting that they would not have taken a job as a coach if there were clubs after them? get outta here with that s**t...as for sacking the coach who won a flag the year prior, yeah he was indeed another s**t coach...FFS, I could have sat there and watched the 80 side take all before them...they were just to good for anyone else that year.....the story goes like this...the tiges were exepecting Sheeds to retire and he was going to slide into the coaching job, but Sheeds knew all to well there was another flag there for the taking in that team and extended his career. So the tiges hired Groucho to warm the seat, with the full intention of a seamless transition to Sheeds...so we win the flag and what to do now? you cant get rid of the premiership coach, so Gorucho stays on, Sheeds retires, the ****ign drug cheats pounce and build an empire and we become a s**t triuck for the next 30 years...;)
thankyou

Heh that is your argument which had nothing, zero to do with my post which i have quoted below :drunk:. You are just being cheaky. You know we have killed countless coaches careers before they could get off the ground and paid for it for holding onto to two spuds in frawley and wallace.

We saked Barker,Paterson,Spool all in either 1 year in the job or there second year, yeah right thats long enough to determine if they were good enough :drunk:
Also after sacking wallis in his second year, that sealed our fate to hold onto the 2 amigos for a combined 10 years before getting Hardwick.

Bottom line TI, instead of actually refuting my post, you are trying to side track with another angle that has nothing to do with my reply. So i ask you, a question. Are you suggesting old Richmond were the perfect example of professionalism sacking 6 coaches within a combined 15 year period because they were not "good enough" ?

Apart from Hafey and Jewell all the rest you named were s**t coaches and never employed again. So where are these coaches you suggest that were sacked and Could have been famous?JEWELL TRIED ELSEWHERE AND FAILED

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you'll find Sheeds never played in the 1980 premiership team he retired in 1979. He was a skills coach in 1980 at Richmond. Then as you say went to Essendon in 1981 as senior coach as Jewell had just won a flag.

We sacked hafey after 76 who went on to win flags with the pies What?
We sacked Jewell after he got us into a GF ffs Are you sure?
We saked Barker,Paterson,Spool all in either 1 year in the job or there second year, yeah right thats long enough to determine if they were good enough :drunk: Who?

oh boy youre along way away

Apart from Hafey and Jewell all the rest you named were s**t coaches and never employed again. So where are these coaches you suggest that were sacked and Could have been famous?JEWELL TRIED ELSEWHERE AND FAILED
Hafey didn't win any flags with the Pies? And Jewell's next coaching appointment after Richmond was the Saints, ad then the Tigers again. Saints and Tigers were shocking in the 80s, so hardly had great lists to work with.

Probably went something along the likes of........

Skipper - how many times did you get the ball today?

Chaps - htf did you get rag-dolled by Nahas?

Griff - why did I pick you?

Ivon - Any danger of you stopping Goldstein?

Midfielders - Anyone bother to go get the ball besides Miles?

Do you guys like the movie Groundhogs Day?

..............etc etc..............

Hafey didn't win any flags with the Pies? And Jewell's next coaching appointment after Richmond was the Saints, ad then the Tigers again. Saints and Tigers were shocking in the 80s, so hardly had great lists to work with.
Agree so my point was made that we sacked coaches that didn't aspire to greatness elsewhere. List management is another issue here. Sheedy and Hafey both started from base groups in their youth and aspired to greatness as they worked out a formula that would work in their eras , but we're still moved on when it failed the test of the next era of footy. This is the same with KAC and he will eventually get the arse once he runs his course
What all these great coaches have is the ingenious ability at the start to identify ways of dismantling other clubs whether it be physically psychologically tactically etc etc
I'm sorry DH doesn't give me any vibes that he possesses the awareness to do this. He still may have the traits, but 6 years on the job and we are still running the same excuses and the team has stagnated for the last four, questions should be asked.
If they're not then Gale and Peg aren't serious about winning our 11th flag

For all those in the #sackdimma camp, who would you replace him with? as I can't see anyone we should realistically be looking for....no way could we go for a new coach (a la Bolton) as IMO they would crumble under the expectations.......to be frank there are no coaches we could poach or should be poaching so who are we meant to replace him with?

For all those in the #sackdimma camp, who would you replace him with? as I can't see anyone we should realistically be looking for....no way could we go for a new coach (a la Bolton) as IMO they would crumble under the expectations.......to be frank there are no coaches we could poach or should be poaching so who are we meant to replace him with?
Emilio Estevez from the mighty ducks hockey club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back