Discussion on Pick #58 - Harry Dear

Remove this Banner Ad

Phil wants players with hardness and he sees that in Dear. Doubt he sees it in Jenkins.

I've heard him mention a few times that he likes people to have pressure on their spots as well. Lets face it, McKernan and Graham were hardly doing that, whereas I reckon Lowden, Dear and McGovern will keep Jenkins, Lynch and Pods looking over their shoulder for sure.

If he can do half what his dad and uncle did on the field - we have done well.

his dad liked to hurt people, i think he nearly killed Peter Matera in 1 game, i hope Harry Dear does well for you guys, i was hoping he would get rookied by us, definately has potential

They're still worth 6 points.

I hate seeing this attack on Jenkins' goals from close range; he still works hard to get in the right position and this board (me included) have been asking why other teams always seem to get the easy goals, yet now we have a guy (along with Betts) who gets them we bag him for it.

Amen to that. I love the idea that it's easy to kick goals in the square, as though the defenders standing him just let him go free for fun.

The only reasonable argument you can make against him kicking goals from the square so often being an excellent sign is that perhaps he is allowing his defender to rebound too easily too often.

Looking at the vids.. Both shoulders strapped... Reminds me of porps, so sad.

I can see a big scar on his right shoulder in the photo in the Advertiser on monday.

Dear is an interesting one. I think he's a better prospect than any of the 4 bigs that Port took, while acknowledging that the whole 5 are basically speculative choices.

At this stage of his development he's like a big puppy running around, boisterous but not fully co-ordinated yet. Having said that he's aggressive, strongly built, can clunk a mark, is a nice kick and kicks straight for goals.

IMO he'll take a couple of years before he's fully grown and filled out, which should see this very imposing figure run around. Somewhat like Geelong's Hawkins build. Whether he can get anywhere near that standard is yet to be seen, but from what he's shown to date, he has to be some chance to make the grade. Certainly his aggression and fearless nature will serve him well.

IMO, he's been taken in the hope of eventually becoming that big bodied FF who can really clunk a mark, plus at least hold his own in short spells in ruck. If he does make the grade, he'll be a very imposing individual indeed for any normal sized FB to handle.

Let's hope he makes it, because we've never ever had that big-bodied clunker marking forward before. It will take a bit of patience IMO, but well worth it if he makes it. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep put eddie betts in every team in the AFL and just watch their second best KPF average two goals per game.

You wanna go back and have a look at Jenkins' goals?

I call them Anthony Rocca goals. The ones from within 1m with nobody infront of him. He has more of them than any other player in the leauge.

So now it's a bad thing that Jenkins positions himself to get easy goals? Notsureifsrs.jpg
I didn't think the objective of the game was to make as difficult as possible to score goals.

Hey, didn't he also have the most goals in the league kicked from inside the centre square?

The siren gate goal was not an assist from Betts.

Did he hit on your Mrs? Or are you one of those that hate when a "basketball player" does some good things because he's "not a pure footballer"?

So now it's a bad thing that Jenkins positions himself to get easy goals? Notsureifsrs.jpg
I didn't think the objective of the game was to make as difficult as possible to score goals.

Hey, didn't he also have the most goals in the league kicked from inside the centre square?

The siren gate goal was not an assist from Betts.

Did he hit on your Mrs? Or are you one of those that hate when a "basketball player" does some good things because he's "not a pure footballer"?

Nope, none of the above, I just watch the games closely.
When your 6 foot 6 tall forward cant score goals from marks, or mark the ball at all in a contested situation, that is an issue.

Why on this board as soon as someone has criticism of a player it must be jealousy. Seriously, are we that good in 10th that none of our players should have questions asked?

Are you conveniently omitting the fact that Jenkins has a weakness on the defensive side. Lack of chase and tackle pressure? Or is that only noticable because he slept with my gf too?

Nope, none of the above, I just watch the games closely.
When your 6 foot 6 tall forward cant score goals from marks, or mark the ball at all in a contested situation, that is an issue.

Why on this board as soon as someone has criticism of a player it must be jealousy. Seriously, are we that good in 10th that none of our players should have questions asked?

Are you conveniently omitting the fact that Jenkins has a weakness on the defensive side. Lack of chase and tackle pressure? Or is that only noticable because he slept with my gf too?
Can't score goals from marks?

He can't? In 2012 he took contested marks. In 2013 he had a different role sans Walker and was leading, as a 2nd year player he did lead too wide but still took marks. In 2014 his role was different again.

Of course he needs to work on the defensive side of his game. But geez man he's scoring goals. You're completely overlooking his purple patch in the middle of the year when every commentator was salivating over his game. He didn't get a full preseason and his back half of the season suffered. He's late to the game and still developing, this will be his 4th year. He has worked hard to get where he has and I see him as the type to thrive under Walsh. I hope I'm reading it correctly.

Anyway. I hope Dear can develop his game in the next couple of years because as Jenkins starts to get older we could have a handy replacement.

How many goals do people reckon JJ kicked from over the top possessions? 8, 15, 22. 38?
How many goal assists from Betts?
We blow things way out of proportion on here.
To repeat the mantra...forty-goal forwards are rare indeed. If JJ picks up his defensive work and learns to position himself to take pack marks, he will quite possibly win the gold jacket and maybe the Coleman. I have confidence in JJ continuing his upward curve under Walsh's regime.

Can't score goals from marks?

He can't? In 2012 he took contested marks. In 2013 he had a different role sans Walker and was leading, as a 2nd year player he did lead too wide but still took marks. In 2014 his role was different again.

Of course he needs to work on the defensive side of his game. But geez man he's scoring goals. You're completely overlooking his purple patch in the middle of the year when every commentator was salivating over his game. He didn't get a full preseason and his back half of the season suffered. He's late to the game and still developing, this will be his 4th year. He has worked hard to get where he has and I see him as the type to thrive under Walsh. I hope I'm reading it correctly.

Anyway. I hope Dear can develop his game in the next couple of years because as Jenkins starts to get older we could have a handy replacement.

This was my original point.
Hes had 5 years to develop.
Who is to say that in 5 years Dear isnt a better player than Jenkins is right now?

Everyones writing him off before hes even got to the club.

This was my original point.
Hes had 5 years to develop.
Who is to say that in 5 years Dear isnt a better player than Jenkins is right now?

Everyones writing him off before hes even got to the club.
No one is writing him off. He's probably not AFL ready right now. He needs time in the reserves, but if he does well he will get a chance.

I don't know why there is the Jenkins angst right at the moment. He's not stopping anyone playing and he's been more than handy. You are posting like he's a list clogger.

Or is that only noticable because he slept with my gf too?

Did he score with your girlfriend from one metre out? :D

Capture1.PNG

Witness the company Leroy keeps.

Capture2.PNG

So maybe he doesn't take the extra contested mark a game, but he spends more time in the ruck.

Capture3.PNG

Also, our draftee Paul / Harry Dear is here, and we thought we had a problem with Pods - this guy is over the hill, he's nearly as old as Dustin Fletcher.

I don't know why there is the Jenkins angst right at the moment. He's not stopping anyone playing and he's been more than handy.

This is the crux of it. He's doing well enough to be kicking goals in the range of Drew Petrie and Travis Cloke, with 150-200 games less experience than either, and for a fraction of the cost... remember, he was Rendell's parting gift (that we didn't deserve) to cover us in case Tippett went home, and covered for us he has.

Did he score with your girlfriend from one metre out? :D

View attachment 95194

Witness the company Leroy keeps.

View attachment 95195

So maybe he doesn't take the extra contested mark a game, but he spends more time in the ruck.

View attachment 95196

Also, our draftee Paul / Harry Dear is here, and we thought we had a problem with Pods - this guy is over the hill, he's nearly as old as Dustin Fletcher.

Yes, Jenkins 3rd in GPG for our team...what are you trying to say?

Petrie had what many called a shocking year (many north fans anyway). So you're comparing him to a guy that underperformed and he has similar stats.

He got a large proportion of goals from very close to goal because he was handed them, not because he 'made good position'. Its really not hard to run an overlap, if you cant do it you wont play under 12s.

JJ has talent, but people going on about his goals need to dig a bit deeper.

Yes, Jenkins 3rd in GPG for our team...what are you trying to say?

That he's no Tony Lockett but he does enough for now, get off his back.

Petrie had what many called a shocking year (many north fans anyway). So you're comparing him to a guy that underperformed and he has similar stats.

You mean Drew Petrie, the guy who underperformed his way to 5th in the B&F for North? What a shocking year, only missing out on the Syd Barker by two votes.

North Melbourne - Syd Barker Medal
1. Ben Cunnington - 47
2. Todd Goldstein - 46*
3. Levi Greenwood - 46*
4. Brent Harvey - 45*
5. Drew Petrie - 45*
6. Nick Dal Santo - 41
7. Sam Gibson - 40
8. Scott Thompson - 35*
9. Andrew Swallow - 35*
10. Shaun Atley - 35*

He got a large proportion of goals from very close to goal because he was handed them, not because he 'made good position'.

Got any stats on that? Just the vibe? Or should he be kicking them from the half-back flank? It couldn't be because he gets himself into the right positions to be handed goals, could it?

JJ has talent, but people going on about his goals need to dig a bit deeper.

No, they really don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back