Div 3 thread 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win but question was there a gate there today,canteen and bar open and did every one do the right thing and follow the no crowd rule.I did today and it was hard as even though we were not playing was tempted to get my dog and walk around East Burwood or even Nunawading.Settled on winter cricket at Mullauna for a while but do you mind cricket in winter.
No Gate. My brother-in-law told me Mulgrave was packed. How do you enforce rules on public parks? I noticed on the stream people sat in there or with their cars. There were a few people here and there and they were having a beer and chat, no different if they sat in a restaurant.

Was at the footy today, won’t say which club, not here to get anyone in trouble - not that the club did anything wrong anyway. You couldn’t go inside which is the right restrictions to have in place.

Outside was a smaller crowd than you’d expect but really not that different to normal. Plenty of people there. Nobody wearing masks - that’s on the individual.

Very different to the other week we had no crowds when I thought it was followed by most people and they stayed away. AFL Vic and the Melbourne leagues had their “stay away so we can play” campaign last time which I think cut through, you’ll notice they didn’t bother this time.

It’s a pointless and unworkable rule that’s probably written with basketball etc in mind, not outdoor sports (maybe it’s workable for tennis or something).

Clubs have different setups and grandstands or terraces where people naturally congregate perhaps could be roped off. For the rest of it, play on.

Was at the footy today, won’t say which club, not here to get anyone in trouble - not that the club did anything wrong anyway. You couldn’t go inside which is the right restrictions to have in place.

Outside was a smaller crowd than you’d expect but really not that different to normal. Plenty of people there. Nobody wearing masks - that’s on the individual.

Very different to the other week we had no crowds when I thought it was followed by most people and they stayed away. AFL Vic and the Melbourne leagues had their “stay away so we can play” campaign last time which I think cut through, you’ll notice they didn’t bother this time.

It’s a pointless and unworkable rule that’s probably written with basketball etc in mind, not outdoor sports (maybe it’s workable for tennis or something).

Clubs have different setups and grandstands or terraces where people naturally congregate perhaps could be roped off. For the rest of it, play on.
Most people observed social distancing and in saying that we have complacency creeping in. The Delta Variant seems to get through and with NSW having over 100 cases per day and QLD in lockdown, I suggest it's only a matter of time before we have another outbreak.

Cliff talking Premierships ✅ & the 19s got to sleep in. Everyone’s a winner.
Don't believe I said that Bob. If you look at the draw it's possible that Warrandyte will finish on top. Warrandyte and Glen Waverley Blues play each other twice in the remaining games. EB also play GWB once in the remaining games. GWB also have 2 byes to come. They have a tough draw but seem to be playing well. Next week after their bye GWB will jump to 2nd no matter how EB and Donvale go. FTG have the easiest draw but also play Warrandyte. It is possible that the 5 teams in contention for the four could all finish on the same wins with only percentage separating them.
As I said, the race for the flag is on!

I'll have to get one for next week!
You can legally have an outdoor
I'll have to get one for next week!
Look, we aren’t that dumb. You are allowed to attend a religious ceremony outside with up to 300 people. But none spread around a local football game ???
I am all for following the rules and am immune compromised myself so catching coronavirus virus might be the end for me, but seriously you can’t have rules for one group and not another. Aussies understand FairPlay more than anyone.

You can legally have an outdoor

Look, we aren’t that dumb. You are allowed to attend a religious ceremony outside with up to 300 people. But none spread around a local football game ???
I am all for following the rules and am immune compromised myself so catching coronavirus virus might be the end for me, but seriously you can’t have rules for one group and not another. Aussies understand FairPlay more than anyone.
You can catch up with a group of ten at a public park, Local Football grounds are public parks. Just use common sense although that seems to disappear these days.

The other thing I should add here is before anybody blames clubs if there’s home crowds… just remember it takes two to tango. At the game I was at, there was a clear away contingent and it was big - far bigger than the home crowd and you could tell because they were all in colours. Big groups that’d brought picnic chairs, an army of U19 and reserves players standing in one big group… they’d clearly all made the decision to come and watch the game and there wasn’t the slightest effort made to spread out around the ground.

Host clubs can do nothing to police these “rules”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumours were the league was considering pulling the pin last lockdown.. reckon it’s a chance now?
Reality is.. it’ll be another 2 games missed- this Saturday and next (due to no training next week). How far back can you delay a season? That’ll be that, 5 weeks for premier has missed?

Rumours were the league was considering pulling the pin last lockdown.. reckon it’s a chance now?
Reality is.. it’ll be another 2 games missed- this Saturday and next (due to no training next week). How far back can you delay a season? That’ll be that, 5 weeks for premier has missed?

Season over sad to say.Hurts me a lot to make that call.

I think they’ll push on til the 18th September or whatever the last date is. Why not? A call can be made in the week of the game whether we go ahead or not and I’m sure if given the chance clubs will play. They’ve said a number of times participation is #1. Does it really matter if we only got say, 2 or 3 weeks more? Better than nothing.

A call can be made if we’re out for 3 or 4 weeks but if it’s only a week or two, I reckon play. Treat them as practice matches for next year if nothing else.

It’s never too late to cancel the season.

Take D2 - theres 4 weeks left (2 H&A and 2 finals) and 6 weekends left after this til September 18. Reckon any of the clubs are that keen to chuck it in now? I think they’ll push on, there’s nothing to lose.

I tell ya what though, if it can be nearly squeezed in, it’ll make the stupid decision by the top two divisions not to play last week even worse.

For the Season to remain viable and still can, each team needs to play every other team in their division at least once. As it stands the Rams are yet to play Scoresby or Fairpark but are down to play other teams a second time. Address that and the season can remain viable and be completed be it a shorter one. It's making the best of a bad situation. Throwing in the towel is the wrong way to think.

I am hearing that there will be only two more games and then A Grand Final with the top 2 teams. If there is another lockdown or this one is extended, the season is over.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back