Do the Lions have the best midfield in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will find both their career statistics are identical (including two 50 goal seasons each). I am with you that most would take Mooney (including me), but C.Mooney was certainly given a better midfield than Q.Lynch was and that fact likely skews peoples perspective a bit.
I think most people would agree that WC's midfield with a fit Kerr, Cousins and Judd was clearly better than the Geelongs midfield. Also Lynch did not much other than the 2-3 seasons where WC were the dominant midfield in the AFL. Mooney was a key player before Geelong got good if he wasn't playing as a permanent stay at home forward.

Finally, one of the reasons why Geelong dominated the competition was because they had gamestyle that did not require 2-3 players kicking almost all of their goals. To put it simply, Geelong revolutionised the way the game was played by ensuring goal were shared by a large number rather than just a focal point of 2-3. I'm sure that if hadn't of done this then Mooney would have kicked a lot more goals as a full forward

Lions only have one A Grade mid and he has proven at Colingwood to partake in petty behaviour, bad-boy behaviour, which will disunite the team.

Other than that, Rockliff is a good B Grade midfielder. Redden about the same. Rich about C Grade. Aish and Mayes potential but Aish Will leave at seasons end. Hanley has a great season but can he back it up? Zorko is good when he's on song but he goes missing far to much and anyone that plays supercoach would know this.

And how will they perform under Leppa? For the best midfield in the league they sure did have a pretty poor season last year. I have serious, serious question about Leppa's ability to even bring out the best in these guys, after all, his lack of maturity he displayed by tweeting, I believe this is NOT the sort of behaviour you would want from anybody at the club, let alone the coach.

I factor all these things in, and hmmm. Lets wait and see if they can match it with the best first. In any case, they have the worst KPP's in the league, worse than Carltons.
Are you suggesting Beams is the reason Collingwood have lost players like Wellingham and Shaw these last few seasons

Actually I was just comparing Sydney's midfield to Brisbane's midfield, as the OP suggested. Where did I claim it was the best midfield in the comp? If you want my opinion on the best midfield in the comp I believe it actually belongs to the Power.
thread title is "do Brisbane have the best midfield in the comp" not "do Brisbane have a better midfield than Sydney". Your post was off topic and should be deleted

Lions only have one A Grade mid and he has proven at Colingwood to partake in petty behaviour, bad-boy behaviour, which will disunite the team.

Other than that, Rockliff is a good B Grade midfielder. Redden about the same. Rich about C Grade. Aish and Mayes potential but Aish Will leave at seasons end. Hanley has a great season but can he back it up? Zorko is good when he's on song but he goes missing far to much and anyone that plays supercoach would know this.

And how will they perform under Leppa? For the best midfield in the league they sure did have a pretty poor season last year. I have serious, serious question about Leppa's ability to even bring out the best in these guys, after all, his lack of maturity he displayed by tweeting, I believe this is NOT the sort of behaviour you would want from anybody at the club, let alone the coach.

I factor all these things in, and hmmm. Lets wait and see if they can match it with the best first. In any case, they have the worst KPP's in the league, worse than Carltons.
still upset about losing Beams I see

Are you suggesting Beams is the reason Collingwood have lost players like Wellingham and Shaw these last few seasons

There have been divisions within Collingwood and Beams was perhaps one of the culprits. He's gone now. He will intoxicate the Lions in the future, just my opinion.

still upset about losing Beams I see

Not at all. I think we will bounce back well. Collingwood fans are now looking into the draft and what we may take with pick 5. Hine's done very well with pick 5 in the past. Pendles in 2005.

Will be interesting if The Leppa can get the most out of Beams though, Beams best footy was played under Buckley.

thread title is "do Brisbane have the best midfield in the comp" not "do Brisbane have a better midfield than Sydney". Your post was off topic and should be deleted

Sydney are in the comp. In my opinion Sydney have a better midfield than Brisbane. Therefore, to answer the question, I used Sydney's midfield as an example to show that Brisbane do not have the best midfield in the comp. Seems pretty on topic to me.

That's rubbish and a very embarrassing opinion. Even if he couldn't get a game as a forward (although I think he was better than Bradshaw) he'd at least offer value as the other ruck or a utility. Comparing him to Q shows a poor of understanding of AFL imo
WOW! I had to respond to this, Mooney better than Bradshaw and you think my opinion is embarrassing:straining: I won't take this any further than putting up two very simple stats for each of them. D.Bradshaw - 231 games, 524 goals. C.Mooney - 221 games, 297 goals. Q.Lynch - 227 games, 290 goals.

I've added Q.Lynch's stats there as well for you to gloss over... only one person here should be embarrassed champ;)

I think most people would agree that WC's midfield with a fit Kerr, Cousins and Judd was clearly better than the Geelongs midfield. Also Lynch did not much other than the 2-3 seasons where WC were the dominant midfield in the AFL. Mooney was a key player before Geelong got good if he wasn't playing as a permanent stay at home forward.
Finally, one of the reasons why Geelong dominated the competition was because they had gamestyle that did not require 2-3 players kicking almost all of their goals. To put it simply, Geelong revolutionised the way the game was played by ensuring goal were shared by a large number rather than just a focal point of 2-3. I'm sure that if hadn't of done this then Mooney would have kicked a lot more goals as a full forward
Right... it would be difficult to choose between a Ablett/Bartel vs Judd/Cousins I absolutely agree. But seriously... Geelong batted a lot deeper than WCE did. If you think WCE's midfield was "clearly better" than Geelong's, then again, it isn't me that should be embarrassed by his or her posts.

All premiership teams revolutionise the game, as people below them will try and emulate what the best are doing. That's all I'll say about that.

Not at all. I think we will bounce back well. Collingwood fans are now looking into the draft and what we may take with pick 5. Hine's done very well with pick 5 in the past. Pendles in 2005.

Will be interesting if The Leppa can get the most out of Beams though, Beams best footy was played under Buckley.
WOW! I had to respond to this, Mooney better than Bradshaw and you think my opinion is embarrassing:straining: I won't take this any further than putting up two very simple stats for each of them. D.Bradshaw - 231 games, 524 goals. C.Mooney - 221 games, 297 goals. Q.Lynch - 227 games, 290 goals.

I've added Q.Lynch's stats there as well for you to gloss over... only one person here should be embarrassed champ;)

Right... it would be difficult to choose between a Ablett/Bartel vs Judd/Cousins I absolutely agree. But seriously... Geelong batted a lot deeper than WCE did. If you think WCE's midfield was "clearly better" than Geelong's, then again, it isn't me that should be embarrassed by his or her posts.

All premiership teams revolutionise the game, as people below them will try and emulate what the best are doing. That's all I'll say about that.
in mooneys defence he did play in defence for half his career

I'm probably biased, but I think they now boast the best and deepest midfield of any team in the comp.
Would like to know what opposition supporters think of the Lions midfield and how it stacks up against Geelong/Freo/Hawthorn/Sydney etc.

D.Beams (24), Rockliff (24), Rich (24), Christensen (23), Hanley (25), Zorko (25), Redden (23), Aish (18)
C. Beams (23), Mayes (20), Taylor (19)

I think this midfield will be a powerhouse for a long time if it stays together.
Yeah.... But we have a Fyfe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The boys didn't do too bad against... I think it was the pies. Snagged a few

Leppa coached a bunch of kids to storm past Collingwood by 10 goals, imagine what he could do with A-graders such as Beams, Rockliff, Hanley, Christensen etc! Round 1 is shaping up to be a ripper.

Rockliff would be a b-grader on his tackling alone if he never touched the footy, the fact that he can get 30 touches a game and kick goals is just bonus.

Leppa coached a bunch of kids to storm past Collingwood by 10 goals, imagine what he could do with A-graders such as Beams, Rockliff, Hanley, Christensen etc! Round 1 is shaping up to be a ripper.

Sure. Beating Collingwood's 13 players that night is a pretty decent effort.

Rockliff would be a b-grader on his tackling alone if he never touched the footy, the fact that he can get 30 touches a game and kick goals is just bonus.
nice to see someone acknowledge his tackling! he broke an all time AFL tackling record this year, people seem to forget that

bgs5pmjfrw5sn4co9i4sa3ac1.500x430x1.jpg

Boak
Gray
Ebert
Wines
Polec
Hartlett
Wingard
Cornes
White

JPK
Hanneberry
Mitchell
Parker
Jack
Mcveigh
Cunningham
Bird

Ablett
Omeara
Prestia
Bennell
Rischitelli
Swallow

It's damn close between Brisbane, Swans, Port and GC

The Eagles had great top-end talent but we certainly batted a lot deeper. Don't forget that we had two Brownlow medallists delivering to Mooney, including perhaps the best player of the modern era.

More to the point, though, Mooney was helped no end by our gameplan, which involved sweeping the ball quickly through the centre with kamikaze possession chains to give the forwards every chance of marking one-on-one or on the lead. West Coast, on the other hand, played a bit of a hard-grafting game that produced low scores.

That said, I'd still rather have Mooney as I think he was a better contested mark and also found more ways to get involved on a bad day than Lynch. Q-Stick was terrific at his best but could have an absolute dog of a day too.

Bradshaw did exceptionally well considering that he was squeezed in a forward line between Lynch and Brown. A vastly underrated forward who would have been a lynchpin almost anywhere else. We tried to get him to Geelong a few times but never quite made it - a shame, because if he'd played for us in 2004 I sincerely believe we would have played in the Grand Final and not Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back