Dom Barry heads home

Remove this Banner Ad

No mate.

He could get away with his terrible contested footy in the u18s, but was horribly exposed at AFL level. His contested footy ratio in juniors was statistically very poor. One of the worst.

Just a pure drafting mistake.

Yeah I remember them comparing his contested ball numbers in the 18s and they compared with Kane Lucas and James Aish. Not 2 names that fill you with confidence

Toump was meant to have real pace but never showed it for us, reckon the hip problem took away any chance he had to make it at afl level.

This. He was terrible for us, but he was the right pick at the time. He had major hip surgery at the end of his u/18s year. His running style completely changed as a result and lost a yard of pace.

17 year old Toumpas was better than 21 year old Toumpas. If Toumpas had confidence when he was playing with us, and hadn't been rushed into round one, he might've turned out well with us.

Very classy midfielder in the underage competitions and was all Australian under 18 carrying an injury. So the kid was obviously very tough at that age.

Pretty sure even Petracca wouldn't have cut the mustard with Neeld as coach. Petracca' first season was still riddled with errors but Roosy and Goody stuck with him every week.
Imagine a similar thing would've happened with Toumpas.

Anyway, with the shallow draft pool this year, I'd love for us to target some talented mature agers with our picks. Barry, Fritsch, Jarod Garlett etc. could all be Hannan-type pickups I feel. Our list is young enough as it is and our core group of players still have 8-9 years before they start leaving their prime. 2019-2025 we have 7 drafts to replenish youth, already traded away 2018 first rounder so let's go all in on making a very strong list that will hit its prime in 3-4 years I say.

Toumpas was just sh*t. If Petracca was playing under Neeld - he would still be a gun. There is day and night between Petracca and Toumpas. The level of talent between the two is wide. Petracca is an absolute weapon of an athlete - whereas Toumpas isn't (and never has been). I have no idea why the Demons drafted him, but it was just a mistake - and they do happen (we drafted McCartin over Petracca which was a mistake).

I think if the saints had their time again they would've gone petracca but at the time they were desperate for another forward not expecting bruce to step up. I think our problem has been recruiting for the skillful types rather than competitors. I think it may of been wallace on sen talking about schachey, he looks great at under 18 level because the under 18s is designed to showcase skill, where in afl level when there's more congestion he goes missing and can't cope. I think the same would apply to guys like toump. Looks great but when they have to step up to afl level they just can't compete.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back