Draft picks - 1 Vs 7 & 10

Draft picks - 1 Vs 7 & 10

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Petracca is the better player. I would prefer as a St Kilda supporter, to get Petracca and a key forward with 21/22 over McCartin and a midfielder with 21/22. Petracca is a level above any other player in this draft

We are taking Petracca at 1 and that says a hell of a lot, as we would much prefer for there to be someone who we genuinely considered to be the best prospect in the draft who plays KPF, as that fills much more of a need for us than Petracca does, but the fact we are going with Petracca says that we rate him as clearly the best.

If it was line-ball we'd be going McCartin fo sho, especially as we're likely to finish very low next year as well and there look to be no dominant key forward options in that draft that would be worth taking at 1 (or maybe even in the top 5), either. Like probably a lot of teams, we were also planning on making a big play for Tom Boyd next year, but now that he is tucked away long term it would have made us even more keen for McCartin to be the best in this year's pool, or at least equal best, but we don't believe he is even equal with Petracca, hence us considered certain to overlook him.

Every club's view will vary on the draft, but our club for one consider Petracca as the clear choice at 1.

As for this whole "Petracca wasn't even considered in the mix for pick 1 6 months ago" talk, that I think has some underestimating him, or thinking it must be a weak draft or top end, simply because there wasn't someone as the clear no.1 choice for two years leading in, you do all realise that that was only because earlier in the year/late last year there were big question marks on whether he would just be an "undersized key forward", or "just a forward flanker" and that he might be too heavy and/or not have the tank, don't you?

It wasn't because he wasn't thought to be good/talented enough, or because he didn't have the necessary performances on the board, because he was and did (like his 8 contested mark, 5 goal, 25+ possie, 200+ point supercoach demolition job in the 2013 prelim) and as soon as he showed that he had the dedication to get his weight down and the tank to play midfield as well and started dominating there as well, he started being considered in the mix for the sort of draft position that he would have been all along, had there been no doubts on his tank/weight and/or ability to also dominate in the midfield.

Last edited:
Just read this on afl app.
Pelchen saying he is talented but not as other midfielders from previous years.

Nothing against him St kinda fans but just laughing at some of you declaring him the once in a generation player!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-20-18-21-46.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-20-18-21-46.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 5
If Petracca isn't that good then it doesn't say much for all those who are going to go after him in the draft then.

We're still getting the one who we and most consider to be the best of this batch and he has shown far more consistently dominant ability than the likes of Weller, De Goey, Laverde, Ahern, Duggan, Ellis, etc, who are going to be filling up the rest of the first round. Petracca probably had more impact in 2013 as an "underager" (when he kicked 41 goals and also demolished a team in a prelim) than any of them have this year, despite 2013 I think being his first year concentrating fully on footy again and being too heavy and not very fit (after having so much focus on basketball previously).

He's also shown a lot more than most of the "KPP's", who initially were supposed to be filling up the top 5, but who have pretty much all been so underwhelming that they have slid down the rankings more and more as the months have gone on.

For those reasons, this may very well be one of those years when pick 1 ends up being clearly better than having picks like 7 and 10, as so many of those likely to go from about 7 onwards have a decent bust potential, due to only having shown patches of form, or being picked more on athletic attributes/combine testing and what they might become, rather than what they have proven themselves to be so far.

I don't see any Ollie Wines/Joel Selwood's/James Aish's, who have really proven production, slipping to picks like 7 this year.

Last edited:
As had been stated many times. It's considered a weak Draft. You'll most likely get the best player from it but it's far from the "once in a generation player" some St kinda fans are telling us.

If you say so. I've been following the drafts with a lot of interest since the year Smith, Brown and Jones appeared out of nowhere for us in the mid 90s and I suddenly realised how good the draft could be and given his dominant performances, in two positions, leading up to his draft- in two completely different roles (that he can be just as good in at AFL level)- and how many very highly desirable football and physical attributes he has, I don't see any reason whatsoever why he isn't as good or better a prospect as most who have been taken at pick 1 over the years.

Many of those who have gone at pick 1 over the years have attributes that have made them pretty dominant at junior level, but which don't translate as well to AFL level, but he is built and has the game for senior AFL and particularly contested finals footy and as such I can easily see him, all things being equal, having one of the better records of all those taken at no.1 over the years, by the time he retires.

One of the years I paid the most attention to the upcoming draft was the "super-draft" year (when we were looking like having a very high pick), when Hodge, Ball and Judd went top 3 and I could tell immediately that Hodge was all quality when I saw him play and would have taken him at 1, as Hawthorn did (I didn't see Judd play, as he was injured) and I've remarked a couple of times now (before I knew we were getting him) that I don't think Petracca is any less of a prospect now than Hodge was then and Hodge went pick 1 of the draft universally considered the best ever. Most also consider him the best or 2nd best ever to be taken at pick one of their draft.

Of course Hodge has some attributes that Petracca doesn't have, such as seriously elite kicking and maybe/probably leadership, but then on the flip-side Petracca is likely to be even stronger than Hodge, quicker, more explosive, much more agile, stronger overhead and with a bigger leap, more of a threat up forward and every bit as versatile and both seem to be the strong, "alpha dog" type, who will look to lift their team in a time of need and really step up in big moments. From memory both have/had a similar level of proven production behind them leading up to their respective drafts.

I can also see what anyone who has said he is a "once in a generation type" may mean, as he has a very unique set of qualities and attributes that make him unlike most who have entered the game in recent years. I wouldn't go reading too much into it though, as they are just words and may or may not just be someone's opinion.

Oh FFS just stop it.

Hodge is one of the champions of the game. There is no way Petracca is "likely" to be anything more than him. Maybe he will be, maybe he won't. Your paragraphs of fluff surrounding one case of pre-ejaculation isn't going to fool anyone.

How about you stop stalking/trolling St Kilda related threads then?

I'm pretty sure this is an open forum and that I'm free to express my opinion as long as I'm not trolling and as such have done so here and sure as s**t will not be taking any orders from the likes of you!

If you could comprehend you would also realise I didn't say that Petracca is "likely to be more than Hodge", I said very clearly and in plain English that I don't see "any reason whatsoever why he isn't as good or better a prospect as most who have been taken at pick 1 over the years", which I don't, and that "I don't think Petracca is any less of a prospect now than Hodge was then", which I honestly don't and didn't, even before it looked likely that we would take him.

It doesn't guarantee anything whatsover though, but at the same stages of their careers I simply don't think there is much, if anything, between them as "prospects" (perhaps you should look up that word, as you don't seem to understand its meaning). If you have a problem with that then perhaps you could tell someone who gives the slightest s**t.

If you saw Hodge play in the juniors and followed the draft closely that year and have seen a similar amount of Petracca as you did to Hodge, then you are perfectly free and welcome to share your opinion on the matter, otherwise, it's likely to mean SFA to me, like so many other of your trashy, trolling St Kilda-hating posts.

Last edited:
Of course Hodge has some attributes that Petracca doesn't have, such as seriously elite kicking and maybe/probably leadership, but then on the flip-side Petracca is likely to be even stronger than Hodge, quicker, more explosive, much more agile, stronger overhead and with a bigger leap, more of a threat up forward and every bit as versatile and both seem to be the strong, "alpha dog" type, who will look to lift their team in a time of need and really step up in big moments.

If I had to pick one player you rate more out of the two mentioned in this post it's definitely not hodge. I could make exactly the same argument to say Boyd>Carey but that'd be laughed down. And rightly so. I'm not saying Petracca isn't a chance to be better than Hodge, but you are acting like it's fait accompli.

So many people claim I have a set against their teams. I really don't. I have a set against stupidity, that's all.

As had been stated many times. It's considered a weak Draft. You'll most likely get the best player from it but it's far from the "once in a generation player" some St kinda fans are telling us.

17 Games 41 Goals as a Bottom Age Player in the TAC Including a 5 23 disposals goal prelim in which he took 9 contested marks.
9 Games 20 Goals Voted Player of the Carnival for the State Champs.

If you'd like to show me any midfielder that has put up those numbers Id appreciate it. The fact he has taken his name up a notch to push for longer through the middle shows the enormous upside in him as well.

Last edited:
17 Games 41 Goals as a Bottom Age Player in the TAC Including a 5 23 disposals goal prelim in which he took 9 contested marks.
9 Games 20 Goals Voted Player of the Carnival for the State Champs.

If you'd like to show me any midfielder that has put up those numbers Id appreciate it. The fact he has taken his name up a notch to push for longer through the middle shows the enormous upside in him as well.
I'm no expert mate and clearly you aren't either. I've shown you a quote from an expert saying the number 1 Draft pick isn't as highly rated as previous years. He may be a gun player or might not be but know credible Draft watcher/expert has labeled him a "once in a generation player". Maybe you can show me the quote?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no expert mate and clearly you aren't either. I've shown you a quote from an expert saying the number 1 Draft pick isn't as highly rated as previous years. He may be a gun player or might not be but know credible Draft watcher/expert has labeled him a "once in a generation player". Maybe you can show me the quote?

Herald Sun has a quote from a AFL recruiter stating he is a star. Like I said he is far and above anything in this draft hence the desperate attempt from GWS to get hold of him.

We will so it wont be an issue.
I'm sure Melbourne thought the same when they took Jack Watts or Tom Scully.

The only times that number 1 has been the best player in their draft have been Cooney, Riewoldt and you could argue Goddard vs Watson. That's not a great strike rate.

Pick 1 is nowhere near close to being the confirmed generational talent.

I'm sure Melbourne thought the same when they took Jack Watts or Tom Scully.

The only times that number 1 has been the best player in their draft have been Cooney, Riewoldt and you could argue Goddard vs Watson. That's not a great strike rate.

Pick 1 is nowhere near close to being the confirmed generational talent.

No pick is a confirmed anything. The only thing we know is we get WHO WE WANT.

Well from Hawthorns point of view, our most recent picks near that level were Rioli at 9 and Isaac Smith at 16. I'd take two great picks over one superb pick, it's not the NBA, you aren't going to succeed unless you have a dozen really good players at least.
Having said that if there are guys like Roughead and Franklin guaranteed to be picked in the top 5 in a great draft for talls, I'd take the number 1.

Also unfair to compare Petracca to Hodge, Hodge/Judd/Ball were the most hyped prospects ever, and crazily all three have both succeeded immensely while never reaching their full potential due to injuries at critical points in their career.

Quoting just in case

Yep IF that rumor is true something must be drastically wrong with Pettracca or then again we've all seen the ridiculous money and contract lengths thrown at key forwards so McCartin at second choice is still fine.

Back