Draft Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Metallica_Man

Premiership Player
Sep 22, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi, if anyone wants a profile on a likely draftee, ask me here. I will not write my own profile, however I will just copy out of the Inside Football magazine. The profiles in there are just a piece of writing by the players coach.
Anyway who do you think we will take?

I reckon
Pick 7 - Albert Proud
Pick 25 - Travis Boak
Pick 41 - Tom Hawkins
Pick 57 - Will Schofield

I just hope that we dont try to be too clever with our first pick. In this year of a potential the like s that have rarely been seen , Id hate to end up with another Mackie. Not that Mackie is a dud , but Im still unconvinced that he was a P7 , that he was worthy of the earlist pick we have had in 16 years. He was always going to be a long termer that would struggle to find his ideal position being a 192cm twig shaped player.

If we do go for an onballer , instead of a tall , in a draft knee deep with the most talented talls ever seen in the one draft , this midfielder better become a top player for us in the future and not in 4 years time. For mine , he better be capable of being a match winner , a hard running mid that has supreme skills that likes it hard when the time calls for it but can finish like a pure outside player

I like the sound of Armitage but in the end we may be tempted with the local.

As others have used Macca69's here his description of him

10: Collingwood - David Armitage
If Collingwood pick Sellar at #8, they will definitely pick a midfielder at #10, probably an inside mid, given Egan, Thomas and Pendlebury have been drafted in recent times. Armitage is one of the better inside mids going around. He’s hard at the footy, very courageous, with a very good work-rate. Being genuinely considered at #4 demonstrates what a quality player he is. Tested very well at DC, which will ensure he is a top 10 pick. Is a midfielder atm, but is versatile and could easily play as a small defender or even as a small forward

Another excellent review was done by , TOA he has Armitage as ...

Pick 18 – ESS – David ARMITAGE (16/06/88) – 183cm/79kgs
Armitage is a tough, physical midfielder who wins the hardball and uses it well when he gets it. Loves the one percenters; blocking, tackling etc Nice build and height showing an ability above his head if needed. Impressed with Qld at the carnival, rumours that the Lions are considering him at #4. Armitage was impressive at the DC, making top 10 in the beep and 3km and topping the agility run. He has been linked to the Lions at pick 4 but that is probably a stretch and he is a good chance to make it to the Pies picks at 8 and 10. If the Pies overlook him, he is a chance to slide down into the teens. Dodoro stated in a recent interview Armitage is his target at 18, he could have been bluffing but who are we to second guess? He certainly seems like a value pick at this stage with many placing him inside their top 10 including Kevin Sheehan.

From Inside Football

DAVID ARMITAGE - Medium Defender, Morningside, Qld. DOB: 16/06/88. Ht: 183cm. Wt: 79kg.
"I think he'll be a top 10 pick. He's just been exceptional this season. Hard at the footy, great courage, number 1 at the draft camp for agility and did about 14 in the beep test. An exceptional worker and great kid who plays onball but I would have thought he would develop into a half forward/half back in the AFL. I reckon he is ready to play Round 1 next year, and even in a good team" said Qld under-18 coach Craig McRae.
Qld representative, All-Australian 2006. AIS-AFL graduate 2005.

Good idea Metalica man. After a profile of Alwyn Davey, and Ben Ross. These two i think could be good fourth rounders and haven't read much about either of them.

Hi, if anyone wants a profile on a likely draftee, ask me here. I will not write my own profile, however I will just copy out of the Inside Football magazine. The profiles in there are just a piece of writing by the players coach.
Anyway who do you think we will take?

I reckon
Pick 7 - Albert Proud
Pick 25 - Travis Boak
Pick 41 - Tom Hawkins
Pick 57 - Will Schofield

I would definately be happy with this result, 2 quality mids and hawkins :thumbsu: don't know much on schofield??? can u shed some light?

However i also like the idea of either Thorpe or Sellar if either slides... KKP's like these are a rarity!

How's this sound,
#7 - Thorpe / Sellar (If either slide, otherwise mid. Proud/Selwood/Armitage)
#25 - Boak/O'Keefe (Local boys if available, or basically best mid going)
#41 - Hawkins (Lock it in)
#57 - R.Prismall (underage and tipped to go top 15 next year if misses)

Agree with previous post, stay safe with #7! Best available, no surprises (mackie) Draft is to good! Should be a good day:)

I just hope that we dont try to be too clever with our first pick. In this year of a potential the like s that have rarely been seen , Id hate to end up with another Mackie. Not that Mackie is a dud , but Im still unconvinced that he was a P7 , that he was worthy of the earlist pick we have had in 16 years. He was always going to be a long termer that would struggle to find his ideal position being a 192cm twig shaped player.

There is nothing I've read on the whole of big footy that I have agreed with more than this statement.

If we try to get tricky this year (again) I am going to be extremely dirty on the club. This is not a year to be trying to be cute.

Prismall at 57 would be a great result.

Has Ryan Gamble written all over it again. Doubt he will last all the way to 57 though.

True true... can't see him going above say pick 40? So isn't to much of a stretch :cool:

Am really looking forward to seeing how Gamble progresses this year, Have been impressed with what a saw this year in his one seniors appearance and the few VFL games i caught.... Could turn out a real find at #47 :thumbsu:

Anyone have any news on the other few father/sons we were entitled to this draft? Couch, Neale??? Havn't heard much? I realise we won't take them under F/S rule but are either a chance @ #57?

more likey rookie draft? Reckon Couch show's enough promise to find a spot on our rookie list.... With retaining Grima for a second year, and commiting to Lonergan, This gives us 3 live selections, right???

If it's Seller and/or Thorpe that fall to us I won't be surprised at all if we pick from left field. BT is on record as saying we will be picking quick, good skilled players. Seller and Thorpe don't fit this bill. Personally, I think you can never have too many top quality KPPs so we'd be stupid not to take one of these two. I've just got a feeling that someone like Djekurra (sp?) could be in the mix with Wells.

WILL SCHOFIELD - Tall Defender, Geelong Falcons, Vic. DOB: 24/01/89. Ht: 194cm. Wt: 81kg
"Will is a 17 year old who can still play with us next season. I would say he is a good chance to get drafted because he's over 195cm and still growing. He's a very good 800m athletics runner and his results in the draft camp were very solid. Players likds him are hard to get and a club might take him late and develop him," said Geelong Falcons regional manager Mick Turner.
Vic Country representative 2005. From Geelong College

ALWYN DAVEY - South Adelaide, SA. DOB: 22yo. Ht: 175cm. Wt: 74kg.
"The brother of Melbourne's Aaron and has some very similar characteristics but he's a little smaller. Lightning fast, great left foot and I know a few clubs that are interested in him. He trained with Melbourne last summer and I think that showed him what he needed to be an AFL player, and given the success the demons have had with Aaron I reckon someone might take him," said South Adelaide development manager Darren Mead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BEN ROSS - Small Midfielder, Gippsland, Vic. DOB: 21/09/88. Ht: 176cm. Wt: 75kg.
"Ben is a small to medium midfielder who has real speed and is very strong overhead for his size. Played well for Vic Country and had a good year for us despite missing quite a bit of time with a quad injury," Gippsland Power regional manager Peter Francis.
Vic Country representative 2006. From Bunyip FC.

Any 2 of Houli, Boak, O'Keefe, Selwood or Connors with pick 7 & 25. Need quality running players desperately.

Just like horse racing, I doubt the Queensland form. Stay away from Armitage & Proud with pick 7 as these kids have never been tested against the quality of the division 1 in the championships. Having said that I would be happy to use pick 25 on them, if available.

Rhyce Prismall with pick 57 would be great if available. However I get the feeling that they have something a bit left of centre in mind with this pick. Don't be surprised if they pick Ben Hart or Andrew Kellaway with this pick. I just think they will try and get some leadership and both these guys are quality people and well respected.

Get Jetta or proud. Leaning towards Jetta, because we have the extracters and the tough nuts. We need outside players with pace and who will run with it.

Note: You never get and extracter with awesome pace. Judd is a freak and a one off.

We don't need toughies/half back flankers like like armitage
And Boak- he's not a first round pick in the best draft ever.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5473562&postcount=29

Any 2 of Houli, Boak, O'Keefe, Selwood or Connors with pick 7 & 25. Need quality running players desperately.

Just like horse racing, I doubt the Queensland form. Stay away from Armitage & Proud with pick 7 as these kids have never been tested against the quality of the division 1 in the championships. Having said that I would be happy to use pick 25 on them, if available.

Rhyce Prismall with pick 57 would be great if available. However I get the feeling that they have something a bit left of centre in mind with this pick. Don't be surprised if they pick Ben Hart or Andrew Kellaway with this pick. I just think they will try and get some leadership and both these guys are quality people and well respected.

We should take best available at pick 7, hopefully Selwood, but if Thorp slipped through then our spine with Hawkins and N.Ablett would be very solid for a while. With pick 25 the best running player available should be taken from Connors, Houli, Boak, Collard or O'Brien. I reckon at least one of them will fall to us.

Pick 57 is a lottery pick - either go for a bottom-aged kid like Prismall or another on-baller such as Adams.

Get Jetta or proud. Leaning towards Jetta, because we have the extracters and the tough nuts. We need outside players with pace and who will run with it.

Note: You never get and extracter with awesome pace. Judd is a freak and a one off.

We don't need toughies/half back flankers like like armitage
And Boak- he's not a first round pick in the best draft ever.

Agree with you on Jetta. Would be more than happy picking him up at #7 - would satisfy cats needs and is a definite 1st rounder. Don't know too much about Proud but from what I’ve read he's not quick, and we already have plenty of those players.

Boak is a tricky one because he's a local, i would agree with you otherwise but i think that may sway selectors a little, plus he's pretty quick.

If it's Seller and/or Thorpe that fall to us I won't be surprised at all if we pick from left field. BT is on record as saying we will be picking quick, good skilled players. Seller and Thorpe don't fit this bill. Personally, I think you can never have too many top quality KPPs so we'd be stupid not to take one of these two. I've just got a feeling that someone like Djekurra (sp?) could be in the mix with Wells.

Bomber also stated that pick 7 was going on the best available. Therefore I think we'll end up with either Thorpe or Sellar. I'd say Selwood will go earlier and not sure that Boak would qualify as next best. Also don't think the club will go for Jetta after taking Varcoe & Stokes last year, all 3 being well under 180cm. Latter picks on little blokes maybe but not pick 7.

Ball carriers from there on in was on the adgenda so best mid at 25 and I think you might find Brad D1ck might get picked up with our last pick. Geelong were quite keen on him at DC and he should still be available then.

CLAYTON COLLARD - Small Midfielder, South Fremantle, WA. DOB: 04/12/88. Ht: 177cm. Wt: 80kg.
"Clayton's an outside forward or onballer who possesses fantastic skills, is very elusive...all the attributes you normally associate with an aboriginal player this kid has got, and then some more. Got a great side step and equally as good on right or left and can take a mark for a player of his size," said South Fremantle football manager Marty Atkins.
WA representative 2006. AIS-AFL graduate 2005.

SIMON HOGAN - Medium Midfielder, Geelong Falcons, Vic. DOB: 16/08/88. Ht: 181cm. Wt: 67kg.
"He's probably one who's bobbed up this year because he hadn't been in our program up until 2006. Simon tested sensationally at the draft camp in lots of areas so that will hold him in good stead. I reckon he might have been on the edge in terms of being drafted but his camp might have tilted the odds in his favour. There is an enormous amount of improvement in him. He's studying to get into medicine," said Geelong Falcons regional manager Mick Turner.
From Warrnambool FC.

RHYCE PRISMALL - Western Jets. DOB: 06/04/89. Ht: 188cm. Wt: 88kg.
"He has the physical characteristics of the current AFL player. He's tall, he can run a mid-14 beep test and he's pretty quick. He's still a bottom age player but it will be interesting to see if someone snaps him up late in the draft given I reckon he could be a top 15 pick in the 2007 draft," said Western Jets coach Mark Neeld.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back