Multiplat Dragon’s Dogma

Remove this Banner Ad

The character creation suite seems to be pretty comprehensive (and creepy, if you're playing as a prepubescent girl and toy get to the bit where you set the scale of her bust). Love messing around with character editors so it will be worth a look just for that. Also a fan of traditional fantasy settings lik DD's.

Seems to have some cool ideas, the pawn system especially sounds interesting. Demo doesn't do a great job of selling it though IMO, things seem a little clunky, prevailing invisible walls, fairly unpolished. I'm sure things will fare better in the game proper. Looking forward to it though, will be worth it to ride a flying dragon and stab it in the neck til it dies, it can't go too far wrong surely?

Edit: my main character will be a ripoff of arya from game of thrones, first pawn will be a ripoff of Ron Perlman.

Only had a chance to give it around half an hour last night.

learned very little new as most of this time was spent in the Tutorial level featured in the demo, and the character creator. Unfortunately I messed up and gave my young girl horrifyingly large manhands, will have to start again when i next play.

not the best looking game so far; this seems to be a symptom of the enormous enemies as everything looks a little sparse and dull. The enemythat you encounter 2 minutes into the game proper, however, looks fantastic and he literally had teeth bigger than my avatar. More than happy for this to be the case. Ran smoothly with no slowdown as well, and i do like the character designs from what I've seen. On a somewhat related note everyone's hair is rock hard as per bloody usual.

Looks to be a bit of a rough diamond and will be more than pleased to spend some time with it this weekend, especially given Diablo is still being a tempramental princess who kicks me out of my own game every 5 minutes (on the rare occasion it lets me log in to begin with).

Unbelievable game. Has the size of Skyrim and just as much adventuring. :thumbsu:

I'm a Strider, and have been climbing all over those giant monsters and stabbing them where I can while they try to fling me off. Shadow of the Colossus style.

Every class has a bit of everything. I also like how it's like a FF-type class system. Can dabble in bits of everything.

What really ties this up for me is that being out roaming at night is scary as all heck. As opposed to other games where the soundtrack might change at night, when you're out at night in this game it's a completely different situation. Get very little vision and assassins can get you from behind. You can also walk straight off cliffs! The genre almost changes if you want to go out at night with no lights or anything. Survival/horror thing going on.

Can't believe how under the radar this has gone.

211cm, 160 kg warrior. Greatsword has insane range. Been cleaving through hordes of monsters like a boss. Found a dragon near Shadow Fort and it kicked my arse though. Not even close to killing it.

how is the difficulty in this game? Is it like the Souls games? I don't mind a bit of a challenge but I don't want to be dying all the time

Yeah it's no pushover but as a rule if your characters are levelled up sufficiently, and your weapons and equipment are of a good quality, you won't run in to too much trouble.

You will still occasionally run into an insurmountable enemy, but from what I've seem they're generally used as prohibitives (if that's a word) to traveling to parts of the game you're not supposed to be at yet.

It's not like you'll need to master the game before you're allowed to progress as with Souls.

Loving this game so at, with the exception of the auto saving, which as pretty slack. Have to get yourself to manually save while out in the field otherwise you'll hit someone/thing because you've lost half an hour of progress.

There's a bunch to learn in the first couple of hours and it can be initially confusing but once it all clicks its great stuff. Especially like the healing (ith the permanent and temporary damage) which had me baffled for a while.

Agree with sunny's assessment of nighttime too, it's ****ing miserable, nothing than getting caught miles from safety. Really makes you plan your excursions in advance.

Love the pawn system too. I'm getting attached to my fella, for some reason I get choked up when he returns from someone else's game and tells me he hopes he did well, he tried his hardest, lol. Such a top bloke!

Not for everyone this game but I'm finding it as compulsive as anything I've played in recent memory, right up my alley.

Edit: this game also Has the most awesomely inappropriate hair metal theme music for some reason, not sure weather that's a good or bad thing.

This game is the surprise of the year so far. I am loving it:thumbsu: If it was more polished it could have been a big hit. A flawed gem.

Magick Archer is a blast to play

ok, after playing more of this game...damm it can be hard which is also surprisingly refreshing.

I love the whole dont get caught outside the safety of castle walls at night time...it is damm insane. The best quote I read some where was

"Most RPG's at night time you look at how pretty the moon is...but in Dragons Dogma, all you can think is that you are Fu*ked!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you tried hiring a mage pawn who is a few levels above you?

The other night I hired a transvestite called Munty - not sure if you can search Pawns by name, but she was ridiculous. Those high end spells tear apart chimera in seconds (without exaggeration). I felt like a big man hopping on its back and going to down on its snake-tail, hacking off maybe 2-3% of its health bar, moments later comets come raining from the sky and it's on its last legs.

You can unbalance the game a bit by hiring higher level pawns, it does take the edge off the game a little too much in my opinion, though. Like you say, being s**t scared and stranded is part of the fun.

Other than that, a few tips that might come in handy:

*Try upgrading your weapons from the weapons vendor in Gran Soren. It doesn't matter which weapons - THEY'RE MASTERWORKS ALL; YOU CAN'T GO WRONG.
*Remember that WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS.
*Watch out for ARMED ROGUES.
*Know that FIRE WORKS WELL, and also that IT HATES FIRE.

Have you tried hiring a mage pawn who is a few levels above you?

The other night I hired a transvestite called Munty - not sure if you can search Pawns by name, but she was ridiculous. Those high end spells tear apart chimera in seconds (without exaggeration). I felt like a big man hopping on its back and going to down on its snake-tail, hacking off maybe 2-3% of its health bar, moments later comets come raining from the sky and it's on its last legs.

You can unbalance the game a bit by hiring higher level pawns, it does take the edge off the game a little too much in my opinion, though. Like you say, being s**t scared and stranded is part of the fun.

Other than that, a few tips that might come in handy:

*Try upgrading your weapons from the weapons vendor in Gran Soren. It doesn't matter which weapons - THEY'RE MASTERWORKS ALL; YOU CAN'T GO WRONG.
*Remember that WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS.
*Watch out for ARMED ROGUES.
*Know that FIRE WORKS WELL, and also that IT HATES FIRE.

before I finished last night I hired a lvl 29 sorcerer (im lvl 19)...hopefully tonight I can make better impact

The character creation suite seems to be pretty comprehensive (and creepy, if you're playing as a prepubescent girl and toy get to the bit where you set the scale of her bust). Love messing around with character editors so it will be worth a look just for that. Also a fan of traditional fantasy settings lik DD's.
Reckon you might like Tera...

what combination of character and pawns are people using.

me:

My character...Strider. At first was a little disappointed in the weakness of archery skills compared to skyrim archers, but am now starting to get decent power as I level up, and inparticular the cloud burst volley is pretty awesome. But what I like most is the awesome range and effectiveness of dagger skills which works great in creating combo attacks

Main Pawn...Have a fighter (swordsman). Not really that impressed, but at least he acts as a great decoy and draws attackers for me and a pawn mage/sorcerer to do the bulk of the damage

Pawn recruit 1...spent and got me a sorcerer that is 10 lvls higher then me. Pick one with ice and fire powers that also enchant allies...he is the s**t and makes my characters dagger attack damm lethal

Pawn 2...Mage (standard recruit)...purely just for health regen for the team

I'm a level 33 Mystic Knight. Was a strider/Magic Archer for the first 28 levels. The game was a reasonable challenge as a MA but since switching to MN I have been decimating everything

Main pawn is a Sorcerer and I usually travel with a support mage and another Warrior

Still having so much fun with this game. Best game of the year so far

Im really loving the Nighttime feature of the game...Anyone did the pussy thing and hole themselves in a safe area until the sun rises?

First time I went to that all Female fort the night fell before I could return. I put my characters in the fort and went and had a shower...biggest pussy moment from me

I'm a level 33 Mystic Knight. Was a strider/Magic Archer for the first 28 levels. The game was a reasonable challenge as a MA but since switching to MN I have been decimating everything

Main pawn is a Sorcerer and I usually travel with a support mage and another Warrior

Still having so much fun with this game. Best game of the year so far

Did you find you leveled up fast the 2nd time around (knowing the ins and outs of the game)...I am only lvl 21 and cant imagine starting all again...although I love my strider character and employing high lvl sorcerers

Has anyone stumbled across a golem by any chance? Nearly soiled myself in all honesty.

Im really loving the Nighttime feature of the game...Anyone did the pussy thing and hole themselves in a safe area until the sun rises?

First time I went to that all Female fort the night fell before I could return. I put my characters in the fort and went and had a shower...biggest pussy moment from me

Haha, yes. Not ashamed to admit I've hung around in a nunnery all night. Terrifying when one of your pawns says 'it hates fire!' but in the darkness you can't see WHAT hates fire until its right upon you. I'm all like, 'please let it be a wolf...'

Did you find you leveled up fast the 2nd time around (knowing the ins and outs of the game)...I am only lvl 21 and cant imagine starting all again...although I love my strider character and employing high lvl sorcerers

With changing jobs, you don't lose your character level, only your vocation level.

For instance if you are at level 21 and have, say, 8 levels in the fighter class, and wish to change to sorcerer, you would stay at level 21 but have a sorcerer vocation level on 1. Additionally, you get to keep any augments you've purchased, and any weapon skills, provided your new class supports that particular weapon.

Game is really friendly to letting you experiment with different classes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back