Autopsy Dreamtime at the G , versus Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

that 50 vs Ivan when he had both arms off the ball trying to get up and a bummer holding the ball to him shows how easy it is to fool the umpires, shoulda gone OUR way, since he had effectively been dispossessed! they should just let it go if they cant see.

theres always a few each way, and everyone always focusses on the ones that get paid against.

only caught the 2nd half on the telly, so not too gutted (except in the wallet after betting on us, Nth (?! wtf happend they had it won?!) and ..freo (ok I greedy and a bit dim :( )

? anyone reckon itd be good to see coach back at the sidelines like his 1st season? perhaps he is saving it for a big game, or for when he gets soft drink all in his hair.

ps think I saw Andy on the Carlton 'Ins' RT....

that 50 vs Ivan when he had both arms off the ball trying to get up and a bummer holding the ball to him shows how easy it is to fool the umpires, shoulda gone OUR way, since he had effectively been dispossessed! they should just let it go if they cant see.

theres always a few each way, and everyone always focusses on the ones that get paid against.

only caught the 2nd half on the telly, so not too gutted (except in the wallet after betting on us, Nth (?! wtf happend they had it won?!) and ..freo (ok I greedy and a bit dim :( )

? anyone reckon itd be good to see coach back at the sidelines like his 1st season? perhaps he is saving it for a big game, or for when he gets soft drink all in his hair.

ps think I saw Andy on the Carlton 'Ins' RT....
Did anyone actually see a soft-drink can being opened?
I have it on good authority that it was some other liquid that Bomber Thompson sprayed all over James Hird's hair.;)

Just another observation. I reckon Leroy Jetta will be running scared of Morris for the rest of his days. I could have kicked the TV in.

I was going to say that I hope Hird replays that Morris incident to him and points out what a complete tool it made him look like, but bugger it.

If Jetta wants to be a stupid prick for the rest of his playing days, so be it. Let it happen I say.

If we'd won a nice little yell out to Jetta by Morris, with a point to the scoreboard would have been well deserved.

And f**k me, what happened to the 'incorrect disposal' rule???? I know there were some by the Tigers, but there were at least twice as many from Essendon that the green douche bags called play on for. How about rewarding tackles you numpties.

I was going to say that I hope Hird replays that Morris incident to him and points out what a complete tool it made him look like, but bugger it.

If Jetta wants to be a stupid prick for the rest of his playing days, so be it. Let it happen I say.

If we'd won a nice little yell out to Jetta by Morris, with a point to the scoreboard would have been well deserved.

And f**k me, what happened to the 'incorrect disposal' rule???? I know there were some by the Tigers, but there were at least twice as many from Essendon that the green douche bags called play on for. How about rewarding tackles you numpties.
Full credit to Morris for containing himself.I have no idea how he did it.

God damn I love how the tigers play the game. Would kill to have Cotchin in red and black! :thumbsu:

We play pretty similar styles I think, hopefully some more cracker contests in years to come. DreamTime should be a true blockbuster game for the next 5+ years :thumbsu:

apart from the NAB cup win over hawthorn (which you really cant read into too much) we have really struggled against them in the past few seasons and the hawks have hit form right in time for us (just our luck). i can see another 'honourable loss' coming our way.

as for st kilda, well they play Etihad very well and we dont, and (just our luck) they have found form recently too. they beat carlton at etihad last week and carlton beat us by 40 points.

the worst part about it is that you are 100% right, we have proven that we can match it with them but we haven't proven we can beat them yet. and we happen to be coming up against two very in form sides in the next two weeks.

we need to beat either the saints or hawks to keep finals hopes alive.

Are you serious?? Means absolutely nothing. So surely if St Kilda lost to Port Adelaide and we beat Port, then we're gonna beat the saints?:rolleyes:

Gutted to lose after such a great fight back and even more gutted we're gonna lose grimesy for a while. Taking him out of our back line makes it look a hell of a lot weaker.

People need to relax a fair bit here and take a deep breath.Yeah I'm gutted to and upset but we a young side and don't have those core of experience of players yet to get us over the line yet when it counts it takes time.Proud of the boys they dug deep.

Must say wasn't happy with our forward line structure all game didn't function at all and work hard enough.Miller he may do the small things right but he cant kick to save himself while Jack was going half hearted for marks and not on his bike.That last quarter was calling for him to do something to get us over the line.We also made some poor decisions going forward in the last quarter just bombing in the forward line instead of hitting a man.Bad kicking cost you games and it did last night with so many set shots missed in the second half.Grimes was one of a few for us BOG just love this guy and he adds to our big man injury list we a cursed with.Umpiring was one of the worst games I have seen hands in the back,ball etc cost us so many frees.6 umpires and 6 different views on frees.

Finally let me say Vickery might have not been playing to his best 2012,but boy does he hurt our balance and structure.He reliefs Maric in the ruck and does it well and is a target up forward forget about Miller.

Must say wasn't happy with our forward line structure all game didn't function at all and work hard enough.Miller he may do the small things right but he cant kick to save himself while Jack was going half hearted for marks and not on his bike.That last quarter was calling for him to do something to get us over the line.We also made some poor decisions going forward in the last quarter just bombing in the forward line instead of hitting a man.Bad kicking cost you games and it did last night with so many set shots missed in the second half.

I generally agree and would add
1. bombing the ball in so much to the top of the square just made it too easy for essendon to defend. If we continue that game plan it won't matter who we play there defenders will spoil and our small forwards don't get a chance.
Miller (can't kick over a jam tin) vs Vickery (please find some form Ty)

2. The solution be one of the talls playing out across the half forward line open the fwd line up the and try hitting players on a lead (one thing that Sydney used to do brilliantly) or give the midfield a chance to kick running goals.

3. our small forwards. King? no goals and 3 tackles is that enough??
Nahas - more involved in the play than King but, as a very small player still he gets caught too much with the ball too much. (No confidence to kick from 25m wtf??)

4. Midfielders goal kicking was even worse. (and at critical times)

Apart from that - we played OK against a good team in top form. The fightback was excellent.

But, given a chance to win, midway through the last qtr, nobody (including Lids(kicking points), Cotch(clangers in the backline), Martin(not quite doing enough) and Newman, Foley (and all other senior players) knew how to step up and deliver a victory late in a game.

And that worries me about the team at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I hate losing, tonight we witnessed the rebirth of the Tigers. No longer are we going to be considered an easy beat. We just need to learn to capitalise on our chances when they present.

Deledio easily played his best game for the club and nearly singlehandedly hauled us over the line and deserved to be awarded BOG.

There was one thing I was really disappointed with though and that was how quickly some supporters seemed to drop off when things weren't going well for us before half time. On here and twitter supporters were writing us off saying that we were going to get smacked. That was old Richmond, this new Richmond doesn't know how to quit.

I'll back you on this RT. To my shame, when we lost Grimes, I turned to my squeeze and said "that's it". That third quarter comeback was would have been amazing but for the infuriating inaccuracy, and I was still expecting us to slow after that. To hit the front in the final quarter when we were running on empty says plenty about the resolve of this new Tiger era.

We are now only a couple of players from being a genuine "giant killer".

We especially need a small forward who can rove aerial contests and another marking forward. Those knocking Jack Jack's effort should have another look at the game. I thought he was superb at how often he brought the ball to ground and locked the ball ball in, and created opportunities for the crumbers.

Grimes will be a big loss, but fingers crossed that one of our maligned or injury prone reserves will be able to step up. Griffiths, Post and Astbury all have the chance to make their name now.

On the positive side, I thought Edwards was terrific last night, his best game and showed that he can be very dangerous around goals (as I have long thought).

I was also impressed with the growing presence of Dea. Very strong and made some good decisions in heavy traffic.

The continued improvement in Grigg is mind blowing and it's difficult to express my feelings about Ivan Maric. What a rock!

Lids played so well that I started thinking that maybe we should name co-captains when Newy steps down (not his greatest game but congrats on 200 games).

Lid's co-captain "The Cotch" is already our spiritual leader. He is simply "Captain Fantastic".

You gotta hand it to the tigers they were -1 with Grimes subbed off to add to the -3 they were "playing" in the FL. I mean WTF was Jake King doing playing in a senior AFL footy match? Totally irrelevant player. JR needs to lift big time, tipping there is something not quite right there, and Miller, well he at least battled in the ruck but otherwise was another irrelevant.
The bummers can have the 4 points for this one, Hird would have said thank christ we got out of that one.
The third quarter should serve as a warning to all comers, that when we bring it, you can only hope we dont kick straight. From about 10 minutes before half time and for the whole third quarter and 10 minutes of the last, we had total control and the bummers could only watch, hack and hope, with the aid of course of some deplorable umpiring desicions. 5-8 in the third says it all and we still managed to hit the front in the last.
They wont beat us again for a looooooooooong time, lock it in. They have more spuds in that side than they think.
In closing, I ****ing spew when we gift games to ****ing pretenders.

Side note: Can anyone shed some light on the the "courageous" attack on the ball by Jobe Watson when Tross was running back to take the mark? ****ing embarrasing for him and the bummers, that their captain sat and watched and shat himself..it will bite them big time, mark my words..;)

God damn I love how the tigers play the game. Would kill to have Cotchin in red and black! :thumbsu:

Prefer the way we are playing it. Last night showed the value of good big men over good smalls.

bombers big men got us over the line and
richmonds maric (who dominated imo and was almost the difference,...tiges mids had a field day after half time) was the tigers most important.

We lost because
1: Poor kicking in our forward line, that alone would have won us the game if we had some composure. But that's just bad football

2. Essendon kicked 7 goals from incorrect umpiring decisions. I don't care what anybody says, you can't win a game when the opposition is basically handed a 7 goal headstart.

3. Like our game plan waaaaaaaay better than Essendon. We are playing a gamestyle of contested uncompromising football where Essendon play like Carlton. Running forward of the play at contests to get numbers at the ball instead of two way running like we are doing.

We lost because
1: Poor kicking in our forward line, that alone would have won us the game if we had some composure. But that's just bad football

2. Essendon kicked 7 goals from incorrect umpiring decisions. I don't care what anybody says, you can't win a game when the opposition is basically handed a 7 goal headstart.

3. Like our game plan waaaaaaaay better than Essendon. We are playing a gamestyle of contested uncompromising football where Essendon play like Carlton. Running forward of the play at contests to get numbers at the ball instead of two way running like we are doing.

Cant argue with that either. Who was that no 33 ump? It was like he had a bummer jumper on. ;)

Prefer the way we are playing it. Last night showed the value of good big men over good smalls.

bombers big men got us over the line and
richmonds maric (who dominated imo and was almost the difference,...tiges mids had a field day after half time) was the tigers most important.

Never comment about the opposition if you don't know anything about them. We have talls but they're not ready yet. We are 1-2 years behind the development of Essendon. We have players like Astbury/Griffiths/Elton/Post who are not ready yet. Plus Vickery is injured and we lost Grimes who will be a future multiple all australian defender. Riewoldt had 4 operations last year and won't be ready till next year. Miller is only playing to protect our younger developing key position players.

P.S. You can't win finals playing "down hill skiier type football"....just ask Carlton:thumbsdown:

We lost because

Contested & running. I totally agree SumTingWong. Last season we just counld'nt sustain that kind of running. We just run out of legs and were mostly putting together 1/4 & 1/2 but this year that's different. One more pre and this team will be running other clubs off the park as well as crunching them for contested footy. With that improved fitness I think the goal kicking will also rise. Very disappointed by last nights result. But alot to like & look forward to. :thumbsu:

Can't blame the umpiring, you win games by scoring more than the opposition, not by having the whistle blown in your favour more. While I thought we did really well to come back (I had written us off completely after Grimes went down), I think it was probably only as close as it was because Fletcher was injured. Essendons game plan seemed to unravel when that happened.

Positives:
- WE CAME BACK! Thought it was gonna be a blow out but so many guys stepped up.
- Tuck, Foley, Maric, Deledio, Cotchin, Edwards, Grigg. Was so impressed with how they all played AGAIN.
- Maric dominating the centre hit outs brought us back into the game.
- Was just a great match to watch, I'm disappointed we lost but even 30 points down I was looking forward to seeing what the boys could do to possible flag favourites and they didn't let me down. Essendon were looking to flog us and prove how good they are and we said NOPE!

Negatives:
- Our forwards. People can blame Jack but when he's getting double and triple teamed because our other forwards are being ineffective it's not his fault. King brought nothing, Nahas is a forward and should have kicked a goal from 25 out and is lucky Martin saved him, Miller seems like he can only kick from 25 out (again).
- Long bombs to inside 50, seriously why? It's not working, we're too short, stop it. I know you want to get it up there but our guys aren't taking marks, get it to 45-50 and take a shot or look for a leading player if one is open.
- Conversion. Nuff said
- Tackling, they just walked through us at times
- Kicking it out after a behind, might as well have just given them the goal so they didn't get the point from it
- Sold out 80k? Disappointed
- Grimes :(

Can't blame the umpiring, you win games by scoring more than the opposition, not by having the whistle blown in your favour more. While I thought we did really well to come back (I had written us off completely after Grimes went down), I think it was probably only as close as it was because Fletcher was injured. Essendons game plan seemed to unravel when that happened.

Positives:
- WE CAME BACK! Thought it was gonna be a blow out but so many guys stepped up.
- Tuck, Foley, Maric, Deledio, Cotchin, Edwards, Grigg. Was so impressed with how they all played AGAIN.
- Maric dominating the centre hit outs brought us back into the game.
- Was just a great match to watch, I'm disappointed we lost but even 30 points down I was looking forward to seeing what the boys could do to possible flag favourites and they didn't let me down. Essendon were looking to flog us and prove how good they are and we said NOPE!

Negatives:
- Our forwards. People can blame Jack but when he's getting double and triple teamed because our other forwards are being ineffective it's not his fault. King brought nothing, Nahas is a forward and should have kicked a goal from 25 out and is lucky Martin saved him, Miller seems like he can only kick from 25 out (again).
- Long bombs to inside 50, seriously why? It's not working, we're too short, stop it. I know you want to get it up there but our guys aren't taking marks, get it to 45-50 and take a shot or look for a leading player if one is open.
- Conversion. Nuff said
- Kicking it out after a behind, might as well have just given them the goal so they didn't get the point from it
- Sold out 80k? Disappointed
- Grimes :(

Apparently last night proved that you can

Remove this Banner Ad

Back