Autopsy Dreamtime at the G , versus Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't blame the umpiring, you win games by scoring more than the opposition, not by having the whistle blown in your favour more. While I thought we did really well to come back (I had written us off completely after Grimes went down), I think it was probably only as close as it was because Fletcher was injured. Essendons game plan seemed to unravel when that happened.

Positives:
- WE CAME BACK! Thought it was gonna be a blow out but so many guys stepped up.
- Tuck, Foley, Maric, Deledio, Cotchin, Edwards, Grigg. Was so impressed with how they all played AGAIN.
- Maric dominating the centre hit outs brought us back into the game.
- Was just a great match to watch, I'm disappointed we lost but even 30 points down I was looking forward to seeing what the boys could do to possible flag favourites and they didn't let me down. Essendon were looking to flog us and prove how good they are and we said NOPE!

Negatives:
- Our forwards. People can blame Jack but when he's getting double and triple teamed because our other forwards are being ineffective it's not his fault. King brought nothing, Nahas is a forward and should have kicked a goal from 25 out and is lucky Martin saved him, Miller seems like he can only kick from 25 out (again).
- Long bombs to inside 50, seriously why? It's not working, we're too short, stop it. I know you want to get it up there but our guys aren't taking marks, get it to 45-50 and take a shot or look for a leading player if one is open.
- Conversion. Nuff said
- Tackling, they just walked through us at times
- Kicking it out after a behind, might as well have just given them the goal so they didn't get the point from it
- Sold out 80k? Disappointed
- Grimes :(

:thumbsu: Yep, agree with everything.

Also, I think that we still rush our disposal a bit. Sometimes we need to assess the options before we eventually turn it over.

I don't believe Dimma when he says we ran out of legs. We we're simply not as good, and too inexperienced. We still need to learn how to win. Having said that, we seem to be getting better at these "finals" type games, and this match will benefit us.

he lost it in the light mate

Regardless of whether or not he lost it in the light that was a bizarrely soft display I'm not sure what to make of that. If it was a fringe player that did it you would want them dropped.

I know losing sucks badly, but considering how badly we normally perform in these blockbuster finalsss-type games, I thought our comeback was outstanding. Final scoreline in round didn't do justice to the intensity of how we played either.
The Richmond of old would have lost that game last night by 12 goals. In the end, the margin of 19 points flattered Essendon.

Instead of Maric dropping back after centre bounces, why doesn't he go forward? Has great hands and is actually pretty quick. Kicking is pretty neat too, so would be a good slot for CHF rotating him and Vickery when he returns.

the game plan at the moment is maric drops back to help out the undersize back line...untill and IF 1 of ashbury/griffiths/jim jess:D stands up we have no choise.......but boy if one of them stands up and then we change maric from a defensive ruckman to an attacking one we will win games like last night

Regardless of whether or not he lost it in the light that was a bizarrely soft display I'm not sure what to make of that. If it was a fringe player that did it you would want them dropped.

huh? He didn't know where the ball was, obviously. I wouldn't want a fringe player dropped for the sin of losing the ball in the lights and not knowing where the ball was.

Top game and disappointed that we lost. We have improved but so has other teams, so question is can we continue to improve faster than other clubs. Observations from last night:

Our forward structure will continue to cost us games. I think JR has been unfairly criticised as to why he is always 4th person up in marking contests. The obvious answer is he has 3 defenders or more to beat. The better question is if JR has 3 defenders on him, where are the other forwards and what are they doing. It is time we bring players into the forward line who can play that high forward role to provide alternative marking options to JR. John Barker role at Hawthorn comes to mind; marking and kicking goals from around 50 m arc and often near the boundary. My preference is to bring in a young tall – Griffith, Post, Elton or Deryx to play that role. If not we need one of our current mid or utility such as Jackson, Dea, Bachelor, Tuck, Delideo, or Martin to play that role.

King and Nahas is clearly not doing enough in creating space for JR, kicking enough goals, or creating enough goal scoring opportunities. The only times they have kicked goals is after JR, Cotchin, Martin or Delideo producing some individual brilliance by beating 5 opponents and passing to them. Because they can only kick goals from about 25 metres out, they contribute to clogging up space for JR. Miller is similar in that regard. I understand the argument for playing him, but I think for our forward structure development, we need to rest him now (or soon) and allow other young talls to play together. A bit like when we rested Tuck to allow Cotchin and co to own the midfield set up.

I always thought Edward should play in the forward line and push up the ground occasionally. Unlike King and Nahas, he has more evasive skill, good mark for his size, can kick quite long and don’t get push away in a contest.

Our midfield dominance is good. Lots of match winners. I thought Delideo has taken his game to another level this year. The thing I like him to do more is kick goals. He should be given the license by the coaching staff to aim to kick 3:6 the next few weeks. That means attempting more goals from long range and impossible angles rather than looking to handball to others like last night to Nahas at 50 m arc. I also think where possible he should aim to run more straight at the goal rather than running to the flank with ball in hand. This should improve his chance and accuracy for goal kicking.

I thought Bachelor fought hard but didn’t suit us having him constantly dragged to the wing area by Hurley and not allowed to play his customary third tall role back in our defensive 50. We need to combat this by having others such as Jackson picking up his direct opponent up in the wing area.

Houli lacked intensity last night. He made Jetta looked faster, fitter and stronger. His run and carry forward was good but defensively at times he reminded me of Tambling; jogging up and down the ground, meters away from opponent with the ball, and not putting body/body contact on the next opposition player most likely to gain procession and effect a defensive play.

I thought Ellis was good. Still young so some of his tackles didn’t stick, but love how he ran straight at the ball. I think the coaching staff was wrong by playing Ellis as sub. I understand he has great endurance so either he is fit and play the whole game or he should be playing for Coburg. I would have loved to see him playing on Stanton right from the start of the game last night.

A final thought, whilst I didn’t think umpiring decisions cost us the game, I thought they contributed to the Essendon win. Having now watched AFL for three decades, I don’t recall ever seeing a match where Essendon got the raw end of umpiring decisions. I can go back to Lloyd’s constant staging and winning of free kicks, Fletcher getting away with chopping arms in marking contests (that’s probably why the AFL had to tighten the rule). Not sure what others think – maybe its topic worth its thread.

I can go back to Lloyd’s constant staging and winning of free kicks

Never been a fan of that guy. I know there's always the 'He's an AFL great' but I don't give a crap, I hate the guy and his pathetic commentary efforts now as well.

What other player in AFL history was allowed 90+ seconds to ready, throw some grass up in the air, line up and take a shot on goal.

It was an absolute joke that the AFL let it persist through his entire career.

I know losing sucks badly, but considering how badly we normally perform in these blockbuster finalsss-type games, I thought our comeback was outstanding. Final scoreline in round didn't do justice to the intensity of how we played either.
The Richmond of old would have lost that game last night by 12 goals. In the end, the margin of 19 points flattered Essendon.

We didn't embarrass ourselves on the big stage for a change. Rd 1 was terrible. Dreamtime was a great game even though we lost. 80,000 people would have been well entertained. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must say, Batch deserves a mention. Playing on Hurley he was giving away height and weight yet he still held his own I thought. Also took a really nice third man grab early in the in the game. :thumbsu:

i think its a groin issue as he cant set off at any pace and cant jump. also remember that mellor has the fwds this year and they havent gelled with what he tried to get them to do.having said that the overview is still controlled by dh.
Nah Mate, it is his hips- know that from a good Mate. Jack and the medicos very confident situation will improve as he gets more fitness/games.

I said in your preview thread that I reckon Ivan Maric is one of the most improved players in the comp.

Saturday night he did nothing to change my perception. Took on and beat what was considered one of the in form ruck combos of comp. Well played sir.

FWIW I was hugely impressed with Richmond last night. I'll put my had up and admit I didn't really rate you guys. Obviously a great win last week against Sydney, but I thought they had a down game.

But last night the Tiges showed resolve I have rarely seen in my lifetime. Had me shitting meself in the last quarter I don't mind admitting.

I thought we'd win a fair bit more comfortably than we did, so it's all credit to Deledio, Maric and the other guys who've taken their game to the next level

Our team is about 2 years behind yours too. :)

Hope you enjoyed your time at RICHMOND PADDOCK.

Jetta has been charged with striking Grimes as well as staging after Morris breathed on him.
haha!
He deserves to be charged for that pathetic effort when he fell down.
Has he actually been charged for staging and if so, is he the first?

haha!
He deserves to be charged for that pathetic effort when he fell down.
Has he actually been charged for staging and if so, is he the first?
Yes he has, and I believe he is the second charged Kane Cornes was nabbed last year IIRC

EDIT: He is the first to be charged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back