List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepsi is more a replacement for Lonners yeah? Just in terms of balance and development I think we would be better served if Longers goes first replaced by Pepsi then Enright replaced by Thurlow? I know this sounds idiotic considering we are equal first but it's a shame our form didn't allow us to get a few senior games into pepsi and Thurlow this year.

I know he stunk it up with his goal kicking but where is Burbury?

When he came out of our AFL side this year with that groin it took him a while to return to the VFL and I think he may have done a slight hamstring? I'm not 100% certain but I would think it would be a while until we see Burbs at AFL level again. Also I think even if he is available, they may give McCarthy a go over him after his great recent VFL game.

I'd like them both to go on but only see them in 15 matches each...dunno how that would work. Do you really wanna drop games in favour of playing one or blokes in the backline... it's tough. I mean s**t 4th last year equal first his one...

It's very tough. Chris Scott's approach is definitely about playing the younger guys but I think Enright is the exception where it is 100% his choice if he plays on or not and they work around that.

If I was coach (and Enright plays on) I would consider maybe trying Thurlow on the wing even? That way they both play and also Thurlow does have great foot skills so could give our forwards great chances!

I was just thinking about some of our younger players, and I realized that it's great to have 1 guy with absolute great foot skills on each line. This will be a while in the future but think about:

Thurlow elite kicking out of defence to hit a target in the midfield.
Lang (when he becomes a regular) great contested player but also elite foot skills to hit a target in the forward 50.
Then Kersten who will lead even more and take even more marks with elite goal kicking skills to convert!

Yes, as in I agree, where is he, what is his problem?
from July 16th:

"This week George Burbury stepped off the rehab list to join the group’s full training session after spending week’s on the bench nursing a pulled hamstring.

Following Burbury's first stint back on Tuesday, Geelong’s physio Mark Young was pleased to announce that he came off the track unscathed and is set to make his return not long after next week’s bye."

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-07-16/burbury-pulls-up-well

I think the time is right for Enright & Lonergan to hang up the boots this year. Even though I'd love to see them play on, the club is going to be better for it in the long term. I think there is enough experience and quality in that back line with Taylor, Mackie & Rivers (Rivers last month has been near to career best form I think) perhaps add Kelly in there as well, to allow us to let these guys go and let a couple of young players establish themselves in the back 6. If we are looking at building a team capable of winning a premiership in 2016/2017 I think guys like Bews, Thurlow and to a lesser extent Hamling & Kolo need to be getting games.
If Enright and Lonergan go on another year I fear we could see Enright, Lonergan, Rivers & possibly Mackie & Kelly all retire in the space of a couple of seasons. If these guys were to move on all at the same time we could be up s**t creek with the lack of experience we will have to replace them. Unless the young guys are able to gain a couple of solid years of games and experience they might be thrown in the deep end and we could be exposed down back. Geelong's strength has always been it's backline and if we lose 75% of it in a 2 year period we could be in trouble. I think Frawley would be a really good get (as long as Geelong don't offer him too much, which they won't anyway) and if he was to come I think Lonergan definitely needs to be moved on as good as he has been.

I think the time is right for Enright & Lonergan to hang up the boots this year. Even though I'd love to see them play on, the club is going to be better for it in the long term. I think there is enough experience and quality in that back line with Taylor, Mackie & Rivers (Rivers last month has been near to career best form I think) perhaps add Kelly in there as well, to allow us to let these guys go and let a couple of young players establish themselves in the back 6. If we are looking at building a team capable of winning a premiership in 2016/2017 I think guys like Bews, Thurlow and to a lesser extent Hamling & Kolo need to be getting games.

If Enright and Lonergan go on another year I fear we could see Enright, Lonergan, Rivers & possibly Mackie & Kelly all retire in the space of a couple of seasons. If these guys were to move on all at the same time we could be up s**t creek with the lack of experience we will have to replace them. Unless the young guys are able to gain a couple of solid years of games and experience they might be thrown in the deep end and we could be exposed down back. Geelong's strength has always been it's backline and if we lose 75% of it in a 2 year period we could be in trouble. I think Frawley would be a really good get (as long as Geelong don't offer him too much, which they won't anyway) and if he was to come I think Lonergan definitely needs to be moved on as good as he has been.

I just can't imagine that Lonergan would continue to get the big job every week, if the club thought that he was any chance of retiring. Can Rivers play on the likes of Petrie? No idea...he hasn't been asked to since he joined Geelong. With Enright possibly/probably going to pull the pin at the end of the year, I find it hard to imagine that the club wouldn't have given the likes of Brown, Kolodjashnij, Hamling or Blicavs some extended experience as defenders this year, if it thought Lonergan was a chance to retire as well. The match committee would/should have taken the opportunity to ease those players in, with five of Enright/Mackie/Lonergan/Taylor/Rivers/Kelly alongside them and one of those players being rested.

I just can't imagine that Lonergan would continue to get the big job every week, if the club thought that he was any chance of retiring. Can Rivers play on the likes of Petrie? No idea...he hasn't been asked to since he joined Geelong. With Enright possibly/probably going to pull the pin at the end of the year, I find it hard to imagine that the club wouldn't have given the likes of Brown, Kolodjashnij, Hamling or Blicavs some extended experience as defenders this year, if it thought Lonergan was a chance to retire as well. The match committee would/should have taken the opportunity to ease those players in, with five of Enright/Mackie/Lonergan/Taylor/Rivers/Kelly alongside them and one of those players being rested.

And there is a precedent too - in 2010 when Lonergan was suddenly given those roles instead of Scarlett. Scarlett was still a top defender, but they obviously recognised they needed to groom a replacement, and more often than not Lonergan was given that job. The only time I can remember them shifting back was when we played Sydney that year, with a red hot Daniel Bradshaw (he'd kicked 6 in each of the previous two weeks), and Scarlett obliterated him. Thinking back now, it seems they were prepared to wear a trial by fire with Lonergan until he was ready, which before long he was. They certainly haven't even begun to groom a replacement for Lonergan, which means either a) they haven't got anyone outside the seniors they have confidence in yet, b) they do have players in mind, but want them to develop a little more, or c) they figure Lonergan is good for at least another season. Could be any combination of the three too.

And there is a precedent too - in 2010 when Lonergan was suddenly given those roles instead of Scarlett. Scarlett was still a top defender, but they obviously recognised they needed to groom a replacement, and more often than not Lonergan was given that job. The only time I can remember them shifting back was when we played Sydney that year, with a red hot Daniel Bradshaw (he'd kicked 6 in each of the previous two weeks), and Scarlett obliterated him. Thinking back now, it seems they were prepared to wear a trial by fire with Lonergan until he was ready, which before long he was. They certainly haven't even begun to groom a replacement for Lonergan, which means either a) they haven't got anyone outside the seniors they have confidence in yet, b) they do have players in mind, but want them to develop a little more, or c) they figure Lonergan is good for at least another season. Could be any combination of the three too.
I can't see Lonergan playing on longer than another year if he does play on next year. Feel as though we will have the same problem at the end of next year if Lonergan retires then as there is no obvious replacement. If they are looking at Hamling or Kolo then I'd start playing them sooner or later. If they don't have confidence in any of the guys in the VFL then they would want to hit the trade table pretty hard or make sure they get Frawley. From memory Rivers has played on the big forwards , Tippet, Boyd, can't remember who else (correct me if i'm wrong). I'd feel more confident in him at this stage playing on the big forwards instead of Lonergan. Lonergan looks like he is slowing down a bit.

Also, I think if we were perhaps sitting a bit lower on the ladder and not in a position to challenge for the flag we might have seen a few more of the young guys get games tis time of year.
Interesting, because according to the coaching staff next year was to be the year we really gave it a crack.
I wonder if anything has changed. I.e. they didn't expect us to be contenders this year and last so strategy has changed a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality is we are in the process of phasing out some of our 30+ players. Which means some off our favourite sons will be going in the next year or two. The club is going about it the right way.

Any interest in youngest Selwood?

I'd hate to see how well he'd go at Geelong.:(
I think the consensus is we want him. It's just that we wouldn't be prepared to trade the type of player that would needed to get the job done. Unless you guys decide to go full rebuild and we can do a trade with our first rounder or something.

Interesting, because according to the coaching staff next year was to be the year we really gave it a crack.
I wonder if anything has changed. I.e. they didn't expect us to be contenders this year and last so strategy has changed a bit.
Yeah I reckon at the start of this year they were thinking let's get plenty of games into guys like Murdoch, Blitz, Caddy, Kersten etc. Start building for 2-3 years time, try and stay competitive throughout the year and see what happens. Nek Minnit, round 18 we are sitting equal first on the ladder and looking like a top 4 finish. Time to get the best 22 settled and see what we can do in September.

Or (d) Frawley.
I say nothing about whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, I merely point out that it's a thing.

Any interest in youngest Selwood?

I'd hate to see how well he'd go at Geelong.:(

Would give our Rd1 for him. Done deal.

GO Catters

Also, I think if we were perhaps sitting a bit lower on the ladder and not in a position to challenge for the flag we might have seen a few more of the young guys get games tis time of year.
I think this has a massive part to play. I posted about this a couple of weeks back.

We're in a somewhat awkward situation in that we were probably thinking the next few years ahead at seasons start with some really good young talent that needs experience but because then we probably started exceeding even our own expectations a little and are now in a position to have a legitimate flag tilt, we don't really have the luxury to blood guys. Every game is now vital to win and we need the best possible guys out there because we're simply fighting, not dominating..

The dangling carrot of a somewhat unlikely flag win has blocked some opportunities for a few kittens. To do that we really needed to be on top, belting teams and comfortably in the top 4 or not really in contention at all but we're kind of stuck in limbo. Unless we win the flag it really will be a bit of wasted year in terms of development.

Unless we win the flag it really will be a bit of wasted year in terms of development.
I have to take umbrage at this last statement. If we don't slip we will play between 2 and 4 finals this year. Thats invaluable experience for Hartman, Guthrie, Kersten, Murdoch et al ... and Rivers :p

I have to take umbrage at this last statement. If we don't slip we will play between 2 and 4 finals this year. Thats invaluable experience for Hartman, Guthrie, Kersten, Murdoch et al ... and Rivers :p

Kind of hard to say, even with a finals loss to us, that Guthrie, Mots, Bews, Hartman et al would have a wasted year. They won't regress as players from here. Add Duncan to that list too….

Go Catters

Don't forget Shane-o - never forget Shane-o!

Unless we win the flag it really will be a bit of wasted year in terms of development.
Wouldn't say totally wasted as we have had 2 debutants and got valuable experience into other developing players like Bews, GHS etc, but I definitely agree that there could have been more had we not been in the position we are in. The club has done a great job in getting the balance right with developing youth and staying in contention. At least we know there are plenty of guys pushing there case, I think next year we will see plenty of guys like Lang, Hartman, Jansen, Thurlow etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back