List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good plan but I think it's draft tampering...

Yep thats what I was going to say , its sounds like Draft tampering,,,,although didn't Melbourne do some sort of deal that allowed them to get Viney with their R2.

Its sort of sounds like a deal that some rather wild thinking person was posting on another board. He went one step further and said we would use it to get Dangerfield.

Crows need to be clever with Danger - we would sell the farm (almost) to get him, so it's in their best interest to work with us. Rather than let him just go. If he decides he wants to come. And I think he will. He has a giant photo of Moggs Creek in his living room and this is another year the Crows won't play finals in.

Yeh I saw that.

No way that (dangerfield idea) would happen, but the frawley/pick 3 situation got me thinking.

As you said, melb and Gc had something going on behind closed doors with viney, and nothing happened.

It just all depends on whether or not we can use the compensation as leverage to benefit us, without breaking the rules.

Yeh I saw that.

No way that (dangerfield idea) would happen, but the frawley/pick 3 situation got me thinking.

As you said, melb and Gc had something going on behind closed doors with viney, and nothing happened.

It just all depends on whether or not we can use the compensation as leverage to benefit us, without breaking the rules.

Think it was GWS , and it involved the u17 pick which got them Hogan and them trading their R1 pick. I know one thing , Buddy going to Sydney would have sent a message to the other sides at the top of the ladder , load up or get out gunned. If they win it after doing that , it will only be more clear.

Yep thats what I was going to say , its sounds like Draft tampering,,,,although didn't Melbourne do some sort of deal that allowed them to get Viney with their R2.

Its sort of sounds like a deal that some rather wild thinking person was posting on another board. He went one step further and said we would use it to get Dangerfield.

If it's not draft tampering, it's sheer bastardry.

PS save it for some club that deserves it.;)

Think it was GWS , and it involved the u17 pick which got them Hogan and them trading their R1 pick. I know one thing , Buddy going to Sydney would have sent a message to the other sides at the top of the ladder , load up or get out gunned. If they win it after doing that , it will only be more clear.

Agree.

In the current competitive climate, I would like us to go a bit more ruthless and try to pull off the above (if within the rules).

If we are able to do it, we should be doing it.

I see it more as a square up at the afl for losing ablett! ;)

Besides, end of the day, end of round 1 plus varcoe is probably fairer for frawley than pick 3.

Dees got picks 3 and 11 for scully. Just evening the ledger!

Yes and No.
I would take no joy in doing it to a bottom club or Melb but IF it was legal (doubt it) I would do it for a couple of reasons, if not more. It would show us as ruthless , it would show us willing to do what we have to do to match it with the likes of Sydney. I suspect there would be a similar outcry to the Hawkins Father Son. The comp system would change after that. Finally , the look of anger on Garry Hirsute's face. He was blubbering with the Frawley thing , writing that the Dees should go after Motlop. That would be sweet.

I'm not sure if it would be. Would have to check the draft tampering rules.

The afl ignore these types of agreements all the time. If frawley chooses us, it puts us in a position of power and Melbourne may even approach us to get an indication of what comp they will get.
Nah mate. That is draft tampering.

How on earth could they justify that? ha

He's not even worth a straight swap at this stage IMO. A pick 20yo #12 who's played 7 games in his 2 years at a club full of kids vs. a near 23yo 100 gamer on track to be elite in the coming years.

(edit - I missed the addition of the pick 4 bit)

Trade Duncan for Jacsch and P3. Getting short changed. Honestly , I'd want another bit added.

I just had a crazy idea.

All depends on whether frawley committs to us.

Step 1 - frawley committs to Geelong

Step 2 - before the contract to frawley is tabled, Geelong approach melb and give them two options.

A) agree to pay frawley enough to ensure they get pick 3, but in return, they must trade that pick to Geelong for say our round 1 (#16) plus varcoe; or

B) if they disagree to do the above trade, we advise we will be paying frawley less, to which they end up with an end of round 1 (#19), being the next band.

Basically, it's either #16 + varcoe OR #19.

What option do they have?

It would be frowned upon, but pick 3 is also not worth frawley.

We could pull this off and just at the cost of paying frawley a little more, we get our hands on pick 3!

Can it be done?

With Frawley being a FA, it's his choice where he goes not the MFC. Melb can only say if they'll match the competing offer or not. They can't dictate what club he goes to. So dealing with Melb like you say wouldn't be possible, the deal has to be done with Frawley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Frawley being a FA, it's his choice where he goes not the MFC. Melb can only say if they'll match the competing offer or not. They can't dictate what club he goes to. So dealing with Melb like you say wouldn't be possible, the deal has to be done with Frawley.

Its post the club choice that he is talking about. It revolves around the comp value. If we pay him 350 , he is probably only an R2 , If we pay him 700 he is very much R1. In pick terms Either P3 or P21 or so. IF the get a P3 , that allows them to really go hard for another Tyson like deal, they may end with 2 or 3 extra players. Its all very much BF type thing imo but deals etc similar to this has happened. For instance. When Monfries went to Port. He was a FA , but they greed to trade for him so they still got comp for losing someone ( can't remember who)

Its post the club choice that he is talking about. It revolves around the comp value. If we pay him 350 , he is probably only an R2 , If we pay him 700 he is very much R1. In pick terms Either P3 or P21 or so. IF the get a P3 , that allows them to really go hard for another Tyson like deal, they may end with 2 or 3 extra players. Its all very much BF type thing imo but deals etc similar to this has happened. For instance. When Monfries went to Port. He was a FA , but they greed to trade for him so they still got comp for losing someone ( can't remember who)

He said we could threaten the Dee's to pay Frawley unders to pressure them to trade their compo pick to us for #16 & Varcoe. I suggest if we offered Frawley unders, he'd say (via his manager) * you I'm off to another club.

He said we could threaten the Dee's to pay Frawley unders to pressure them to trade their compo pick to us for #16 & Varcoe. I suggest if we offered Frawley unders, he'd say (via his manager) **** you I'm off to another club.

Yes I understand your logic but the way the comp would be worked in on the contract. When Ball went in the PS draft on a huge amount so no one could touch him bar the Pies, as soon as he got there he signed an extended contract that averaged it to a much more reasonable payment.

He said he loves it
Not home sick at all
Just zombies wanting to trade him
I think the reason his name comes up is because he is "tier 2" not Motlop, Hawkins, Taylor or Selwood. I.e. his is the best player we could let go. So he has sort of became "the trading yard stick". No use talking about deals involving Selwood or Hawkins etc because that would never happen. But if GWS said here's Boyd we want Duncan and your first pick it would happen.

I know its getting close to that time of the year - but a few things to note.

1. Walker will not be traded or delisted - he was only upgraded this season from Rookie and we need a back up KPP.

2. Menzel will not be delisted as he was given a new 1 year contract for 2015.

3. Varcoe supposedly was up for trade last season and they could not find a suitor - so I assume the same will be likely again and so will stay on the list.

4. From what we have seen Lang and JJ have done pretty well in the VFL for first year players and are likely to be those 2 inside mids that you correctly state we need in the senior team.

5. Yes we need 2 more KPP and that is why we are interested in Frawley. Not sure if he will come but that would be one KPP covered.

6. You did not mention Schroder as being delisted/traded - so he may also be another inside mid for us. Or ta least back up for Lang and JJ.

7. Brown - yes likely to go IMO.

8. I would trade THunt if we could as he will not be best 22 by the end of next season IMO. There will be at least 2-4 players ahead of him.

9. Burbury is an interesting one - only been on the senior list for this year but he could go - but then again could stay. Hard to know with him.

10. Hopefully we can delist and Rookie Cowan.

Walker will walk!
I am shocked we gave Menzel another year...I like him and he is brave, but seriously, when do we call it a day?
Frawley would be nice...is Cameron still in the frame?

Is Sef Martin contracted? one of the hardest working rucks in the game sadly he can only ruck not the best forward.
He is, that's the problem Brisbane have with him and Luenberger both great rucks in decent form neither can play forward for s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back