Easy clash strip solution

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that these stupid little things are still popping up some 24 years after the League went National just goes to show just how amateur we are in Australia.
It is not about who should or shouldn't wear what, it is about after 24 years that a group of businessmen who run the AFL/VFL cannot get right something this simple.
There is nothing complicated about any of this, it is not a touchy subject. It is basic and simple.

Rule 1A) Home team wears home jumper and Dark shorts.
Rule 1B) Away team wears clash jumper or main jumper with white shorts as long as that jumper is a total difference be that light or dark to the home teams.
Rule 1C) Under no circumstances what so ever will a home team ever wear white shorts or wear a clash jumper.
Rule 1D) In all finals the highest ranked team will wear it's home strip. Under no circumstances will this be changed, discussed, bargained with.
Rule 1E) In every circumstance the onus is on the away fixtured team to have a suitable jumper to play against every side in the competition. If any club chooses to not comply with these rules the AFL will design the jumper for you without the input from your club.

Rubbish - if a team needs to wear white shorts, it should be which ever team has white on the jumper - regardless of who is home and away.

Example, Cats v Port. Port wearing white shorts with black jumper makes the clash worse. Better if cats wear white shorts.

Also teams don't always have to wear white shorts. example, GC v WC had red and blue short respectively. No white. looked great.

Problem is that is the WA state jumper and it'll tick off the rabble
I don't have a problem with it personally - its not the current state jumper.

But your rabble comment is inappropriate - how would you feel if West Coast wore the big V jumper?

Rubbish - if a team needs to wear white shorts, it should be which ever team has white on the jumper - regardless of who is home and away.

The home team should get to wear their prefered kit and the away side should have to work around that.

Wasn't it Collingwood who had an almighty sook (not that this will narrow it down) about jumpers a few years back because the black & white stripes must be their only jumper? Then the only change was slightly more black under the armpits...

The home team should get to wear their prefered kit and the away side should have to work around that.

True. The thing is, the AFL might start saying that Geelong and North's home kits have to have either white guernseys and shorts or blue guernseys and shorts. From a biased perspective, I think the all-white Geelong strip looks a bit better than the traditional navy shorts and navy topped socks, but that, combined with an all-dark opposition strip (e.g. Carlton, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, several others) the contrast looks much better.

Like how the AFL won't let us reverse our strip because red is still too dark.

These issues don't get thought about by actually comparing each jumper.

They just have rules, and it blows up in their face when people realise how impractical they are.
Light = white, didn't you know?

I've long thought the option you mention would be the way to go. You're kidding; they didn't go for it?! ffs

However did they manage in the '70s? How about when TV was black and white?

There is simply no need for most of these clash jumpers.

Because in the 70s there was only two players around ball at most times. Now there is 30.

Everyone should have to have a white based jumper, doesnt have to be the logo but it has to be predomantly white.

Because in the 70s there was only two players around ball at most times. Now there is 30.

Everyone should have tp have a white based jumper or at, doesnt have to be the logo but it has to be predomantly white.
Screw this, I'd rather see actual thought go into making jumpers instead of a default white...because personally I want to see the comeback of umpires in white where is suits.

Screw this, I'd rather see actual thought go into making jumpers instead of a default white...because personally I want to see the comeback of umpires in white where is suits.

So your'e not concerned with the actual purpose of a clash jumper, just the art side of it and some ridiculous notion that your teams colours are more important to you than evey other sporting team in the world ?

This is why Port cant hwear their home jumper to a home final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are very few genuine clashes in the AFL. North and Collingwood is the obvious one. Maybe a handful of others at most. Clubs should just be allowed to wear their normal jumper for pretty much every game.

No the AFL should be running the competition and have set rules in place. Clubs should never ever even be asked anything, they should do what they are told when they are told.
But common sense rules must be in place first.

So your'e not concerned with the actual purpose of a clash jumper, just the art side of it and some ridiculous notion that your teams colours are more important to you than evey other sporting team in the world ?

Or perhaps we could expend a little more effort on something as important as the guernseys rather than just putting half the league in white every week.

If it becomes like NBA with the home side in white every week I'll give up.

I think you have things a bit confused. Clash jumpers can be effective without always resorting to white is all I am saying. Port can't wear their home jumper because Richmond don't have a predominantly yellow clash jumper.

Example, Cats v Port. Port wearing white shorts with black jumper makes the clash worse. Better if cats wear white shorts.

Also teams don't always have to wear white shorts. example, GC v WC had red and blue short respectively. No white. looked great.
St Kilda and West Coast wearing White shorts with their home jumper looks idiotic because their home jumpers are primarily dark.
One thing that would solve some problems is if the West Coast tri-panel didn't continue on the back.

Hawthorn should wear Gold (Yellow) shorts when away in their Gold (Yellow) jumper though and stop taking the piss with the rules by wearing the Brown strip away against dark sides.

However did they manage in the '70s? How about when TV was black and white?

There is simply no need for most of these clash jumpers.

I'd go as far to say that there is NO need for clash jumpers at all.

St Kilda and West Coast wearing White shorts with their home jumper looks idiotic because their home jumpers are primarily dark.
One thing that would solve some problems is if the West Coast tri-panel didn't continue on the back.

Hawthorn should wear Gold (Yellow) shorts when away in their Gold (Yellow) jumper though and stop taking the piss with the rules by wearing the Brown strip away against dark sides.

If the Eagles members and supporters had their way we would wear our royal blue jumper with blue shorts as our home strip and our yellow jumper as our away strip. But just like the AFL, the Eagles don't care or listen to their members and supporters.

How this gets allowed is beyond a joke. Clash jumpers should make things easier to watch not harder than if they stuck to their original jumper.
Lance+Franklin+Collingwood+v+Hawthorn+HwKnURaSBFUl.jpg
collvhaw05_gallery__600x399.jpg

How this gets allowed is beyond a joke. Clash jumpers should make things easier to watch not harder than if they stuck to their original jumper.
Lance+Franklin+Collingwood+v+Hawthorn+HwKnURaSBFUl.jpg
collvhaw05_gallery__600x399.jpg
Collingwood need to work on their home jumper too, the White stripes really need to be thinner or at last the same width as the black lately they've been noticeably wider making their Dark jumper lighter.

I contend the Hawthorn are just taking the piss out of the AFL, like with their hawk jumper that was almost completely white on front and brown on the back. They know it isn't acceptable but if the Big Vic clubs get away with it why not do it.

Or perhaps we could expend a little more effort on something as important as the guernseys rather than just putting half the league in white every week.

If it becomes like NBA with the home side in white every week I'll give up.

But isnt that what happens now ? and yet here we are.

No the AFL should be running the competition and have set rules in place. Clubs should never ever even be asked anything, they should do what they are told when they are told.
But common sense rules must be in place first.

Yep, and that rule should be "everyone wears their usual jumper except in the event of a clash, in which the away team will wear an alternate strip".

Problem solved.

not sure what the issue is there - even at a distance thats dead easy to differentiate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back