Easy clash strip solution

Remove this Banner Ad

This is where I think the goal posts have changed though, it's no longer about the clubs fans who watch the game, it's about appealing to the non-partisan tv watchers

That's what happens with multi-billion dollar broadcast deals where the league encourages as many people as possible to watch the game. Every game has it's own time slot and the way the game looks on TVs, desktop monitors, laptops, tablets, and phones is a major aspect of it all.

That's what happens with multi-billion dollar broadcast deals where the league encourages as many people as possible to watch the game. Every game has it's own time slot and the way the game looks on TVs, desktop monitors, laptops, tablets, and phones is a major aspect of it all.
You'll forgive me for not really giving a stuff what some West Coast (club picked at random people) fan watching on his iPhone thinks of our guernsey.

You'll forgive me for not really giving a stuff what some West Coast (club picked at random people) fan watching on his iPhone thinks of our guernsey.

It's not about a club's individual jersey. It's the big picture of the entire league.

It's about the presentation of each and every game, ensuring the match teams strips visibly contrast to and differentiate from each other.

The roadblock is change and acceptance. Not because the old way is right, but because it has simply been the accepted norm.

It's not about a club's individual jersey. It's the big picture of the entire league.

It's about the presentation of each and every game, ensuring the match teams strips visibly contrast to and differentiate from each other.

The roadblock us acceptance, not because the old way is right, but because it has simply been the accepted norm.
Unlike other sports our guernseys still mean something. As I said, we don't redesign them every year. The colours and the look are very important to a lot of people. Letting that go for the sake of a few dollars or a rushed impression of people glancing at a television would be terrible.

Unlike other sports our guernseys still mean something. As I said, we don't redesign them every year. The colours and the look are very important to a lot of people. Letting that go for the sake of a few dollars or a rushed impression of people glancing at a television would be terrible.

That comment is uninformed. Club strips in many leagues are important. Clubs are primarily identified with a traditional combination in their match day strips. Real Madrid -all white; Green Bay Packers - green jersey and yellow tights; NY Yankees - all-white with navy pinstripes; Manchester United - red shirt, white shorts, black socks.

The requirements for and adoption of alternative strips doesn't lessen their identification with their primary strips - not for their supporters, or supporters of the opposition.

A big part of it is effective league policy on match day kits.....something that doesn't exist in the AFL.

The fact that these stupid little things are still popping up some 24 years after the League went National just goes to show just how amateur we are in Australia.
It is not about who should or shouldn't wear what, it is about after 24 years that a group of businessmen who run the AFL/VFL cannot get right something this simple.
There is nothing complicated about any of this, it is not a touchy subject. It is basic and simple.

Rule 1A) Home team wears home jumper and Dark shorts.
Rule 1B) Away team wears clash jumper or main jumper with white shorts as long as that jumper is a total difference be that light or dark to the home teams.
Rule 1C) Under no circumstances what so ever will a home team ever wear white shorts or wear a clash jumper.
Rule 1D) In all finals the highest ranked team will wear it's home strip. Under no circumstances will this be changed, discussed, bargained with.
Rule 1E) In every circumstance the onus is on the away fixtured team to have a suitable jumper to play against every side in the competition. If any club chooses to not comply with these rules the AFL will design the jumper for you without the input from your club.
How come every rule is just a subrule of Rule 1?

Every team has a second strip, all white with the club logo in the centre, with white shorts. Numbers on the back can either be black or the primary colour of that team. You only wear it as an away team if there is a genuine clash, so at most each team might have to wear it 2-3 times a year. I know some clubs already have a strip like this, but if the AFL introduces this policy it creates certainty and consistancy. It avoids weird strips like Essendon's where they have introduced a completely new colour to their guernsey and situations like Richmond's where the clash strip isn't much different to the normal home strip.

Example below, please forgive my crappy paint skills.
View attachment 77256
Thoughts?

makes a good basketball singlet
agree with thought that every team has a clash strip (or two if necessary)
not sure that they all need to be all white

Richmond wore a jumper like this around federation. Personally If Richmond had this as their clash I can see the fans getting around a bumblebee jumper.

For Adelaide and West Coast chuck them in a white jumper, looks terrible but better than just a tigers logo.

View attachment 77279

every club should have a 3 strip proposal
get approved
done
(hopefully, would mean Port having its PB jumper formally approved as its third strip)

That comment is uninformed. Club strips in many leagues are important. Clubs are primarily identified with a traditional combination in their match day strips. Real Madrid -all white; Green Bay Packers - green jersey and yellow tights; NY Yankees - all-white with navy pinstripes; Manchester United - red shirt, white shorts, black socks.

The requirements for and adoption of alternative strips doesn't lessen their identification with these strips - not for their supporters, or supporters of the opposition.

A big part of it is effective league policy.

No, it's a big part of a tv marketing policy, a very different thing

I'm no "bring back the VFL!!" Traditionalist, but I do believe in respecting the traditions of the game.

Ditching the wings at the WCE, port being forced to ignore the legacy of the pa magpies, Brisbane moving to the Paddlepop lion. This stuff is all superficial to some, just about moving the game to a new audience. s**t like this kills the traditions of our clubs, and it's those traditions that make these clubs we love and not just franchises we follow

Having lived in Sydney I know it's a different sporting culture up there, but in the southern states a big part of your identity is tied to your footy club and the passion you have for it. Diluting it down to a nice tv package for neutrals would be sad.

I love the WCE fans fighting for the wings back, lions fans for the old lion and more of the Fitzroy jumper, and port winning their battle to be one club again. I hope my club follow the same path, and fight those like yourself who want us running around in white tops with a hello kitty tiger on it - we are a better club than that

every club should have a 3 strip proposal
get approved
done
(hopefully, would mean Port having its PB jumper formally approved as its third strip)

I think this already happens at a more casual level (I've heard clubs present a couple of designs for afl sign off - not confirmed it though)

I think this already happens at a more casual level (I've heard clubs present a couple of designs for afl sign off - not confirmed it though)

you're probably right
it would be nice to have the three strips sitting online somewhere for all 18 clubs so that anyone could look at them and we could make sense of any decisions the AFL makes on what clubs can wear week to week
I should add
I too am big on protecting traditional jumpers
so the other two are clash strips NOT away strips as such
you only need to wear the clash strip if, ahem, there is actually a clash (and the home team should always have priority)

you're probably right
it would be nice to have the three strips sitting online somewhere for all 18 clubs so that anyone could look at them and we could make sense of any decisions the AFL makes on what clubs can wear week to week
I should add
I too am big on protecting traditional jumpers
so the other two are clash strips NOT away strips as such
you only need to wear the clash strip if, ahem, there is actually a clash (and the home team should always have priority)

you touched on part of the problem, the AFL doesnt compare jumpers. They just use their stupid light/dark ratios and look at the jumper in isolation.

This is what shits me about the abuse RFC is copping. The AFL said "design a jumper to meet this criteria", we did, we submitted it, they approved it, and for years we have worn it without issue (outside the WCE night game)

even in the off season this year we resubmitted and they re-approved (we made some minor changes

yet in the middle of the year, the week of the WCE game its an issue. the week of the PA game its an issue

the fact this isnt being flagged weeks in advance just highlights this is off the cuff, and most likely in response to calls from C7

Ive already posted what I think should be the policy on approval, and it must involve the AFL and the clubs comparing all jumpers against each other, and only applying clash jumpers to genuine cases where the jumpers are too alike. the current ad hoc policy is just idiocy

Accept nobody is still playing in their original jumpers EVERY team has changed.

Show me a team that's played in their original guernsey since it was founded and you may have a point.

Having a suitable clash strip for one or two games a year is less of a blow to history then the multitude of redesigned jumpers many teams have had.

Hell your third strip could be the original stripes you used when you joined the league pay homage to history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accept nobody is still playing in their original jumpers EVERY team has changed.

Show me a team that's played in their original guernsey since it was founded and you may have a point.

Having a suitable clash strip for one or two games a year is less of a blow to history then the multitude of redesigned jumpers many teams have had.

Hell your third strip could be the original stripes you used when you joined the league pay homage to history.

Stripes?

This has the red sash going back to the 1870's - where did you get stripes from??

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2014-07-01/btv-don-the-sash-a-history-of-the-essendon-jumper

The reason we don't play in the original stripes is its a dead ringer for the hawks

We have worn it twice in heritage rounds, and with the Hawks brown being so dark now, you would have sworn we were Hawthorn

All of our historic kit are strongly black, be they the bumble bee, the stripes, or the Y

I'm not against a clash strip, and am on record as advocating the WAFL SoO clone if they WAFL will let us. What I hate though is posters demanding we must have white, and to shove a cartoon hello kitty on it.

When I turn on the TV now and see a white team, I have no idea if its Brisbane, Adelaide, Carlton, WCE, and so on.

Clash jumpers should not be just about creating a nice visual difference for neutrals on TV, they should also be clearly distinct and representative of the club wearing them

The reason we don't play in the original stripes is its a dead ringer for the hawks

We have worn it twice in heritage rounds, and with the Hawks brown being so dark now, you would have sworn we were Hawthorn

All of our historic kit are strongly black, be they the bumble bee, the stripes, or the Y

I'm not against a clash strip, and am on record as advocating the WAFL SoO clone if they WAFL will let us. What I hate though is posters demanding we must have white, and to shove a cartoon hello kitty on it.

When I turn on the TV now and see a white team, I have no idea if its Brisbane, Adelaide, Carlton, WCE, and so on.

Clash jumpers should not be just about creating a nice visual difference for neutrals on TV, they should also be clearly distinct and representative of the club wearing them

That's why it would be a third clash strip. Predominantly black with a yellow sash doesn't clash with the hawks bubble bee.

That's why it would be a third clash strip. Predominantly black with a yellow sash doesn't clash with the hawks bubble bee.

huh?? why would we need a clash strip against Hawthorn? We are mostly black - there is no issue between our two clubs

We should only be forcing clubs to wear clash strips when there is a genuine issue of recognition, not just because we can.

The stripes is no good because it looks like Hawthorn, not Richmond. Same reason I hate the white tops - clubs need to look like they are the club they are repping

Richmonds solution will be yellow and black, no matter what happens. Calls for white with cartoons just ads to the pile of ugly clash jumpers this league is generating far too quickly

huh?? why would we need a clash strip against Hawthorn? We are mostly black - there is no issue between our two clubs

We should only be forcing clubs to wear clash strips when there is a genuine issue of recognition, not just because we can.

The stripes is no good because it looks like Hawthorn, not Richmond. Same reason I hate the white tops - clubs need to look like they are the club they are repping

Richmonds solution will be yellow and black, no matter what happens. Calls for white with cartoons just ads to the pile of ugly clash jumpers this league is generating far too quickly

That's exactly what I'm saying the only team the stripes would clash with is the hawks.

As your main jumper don't clash with the hawks there's no reason not to implement the jumper. It isn't some bland white crap and it resolves the problem with port.

Essendon can just invert their colours playing in red with a black stripe.

Eddies mob can dishout a heritage jumper for rare occasions as well.

It's an easily solved problem.

That's exactly what I'm saying the only team the stripes would clash with is the hawks.

As your main jumper don't clash with the hawks there's no reason not to implement the jumper. It isn't some bland white crap and it resolves the problem with port.

Essendon can just invert their colours playing in red with a black stripe.

Eddies mob can dishout a heritage jumper for rare occasions as well.

It's an easily solved problem.

again, stripes looks like the hawks, why would we wear a jumper that makes us look like Hawthorn?

EFC has to have a red stripe, so they cannot invert

again, stripes looks like the hawks, why would we wear a jumper that makes us look like Hawthorn?

EFC has to have a red stripe, so they cannot invert

It's one game. And the stripes are vertically who would mistake you for Hawthorn?

And the EFC can bloody well change their constitution or be hit with match day fines every week until they do.

Should be rather easy to fix and put into practice. Home team wears a dark version and the away team wears a light version of their jumper. As a Tigers fan I don't mind this option:
76826_333a15f252b4d27f75d1fc786d9f9968.png

Not the bumblebee option so much but the white with the yellow slash and black outline, the one change I would suggest if they also have mainly white socks with a similar black & yellow band to the jumper stripe. Would be very easy to distinguish against a dark jumper home teams.

I'm sure someone who has the ability could produce jumpers for every club where there is a dark colored version and a light colored version. No doubt there will be some especially Pies and Dons fans who will whinge about having to change their jumpers but the Pies kit wouldn't be that different and the Bombers version of the Richmond jumper above would be much better than the grey thing they wear now.

As for the argument that it is a cash grab, simply make it that all proceeds from the sales of the jumpers for fans goes back to the clubs.

It's one game. And the stripes are vertically who would mistake you for Hawthorn?

And the EFC can bloody well change their constitution or be hit with match day fines every week until they do.

we did, was at the game and it wasn't like watching our team at all.

more importantly, it doesn't fix our main clash against the tricolour the WCE has

Good luck getting EFC fans to change their constitution. After being called cheating pathetic scum who should get cancer by opposition fans for the past two years, do you think any of their fans are inclined to support a vote that disadvantages them and helps the rest of the league?

Should be rather easy to fix and put into practice. Home team wears a dark version and the away team wears a light version of their jumper. As a Tigers fan I don't mind this option:
76826_333a15f252b4d27f75d1fc786d9f9968.png

Not the bumblebee option so much but the white with the yellow slash and black outline, the one change I would suggest if they also have mainly white socks with a similar black & yellow band to the jumper stripe. Would be very easy to distinguish against a dark jumper home teams.

I'm sure someone who has the ability could produce jumpers for every club where there is a dark colored version and a light colored version. No doubt there will be some especially Pies and Dons fans who will whinge about having to change their jumpers but the Pies kit wouldn't be that different and the Bombers version of the Richmond jumper above would be much better than the grey thing they wear now.

As for the argument that it is a cash grab, simply make it that all proceeds from the sales of the jumpers for fans goes back to the clubs.

Much rather the WAFL than the white - way too many clubs going white, and the yellow looks much better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back