EB Games - "Inside EB Games - When a dream job becomes a nightmare"

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the exception here and not the norm but I don't mind my local EB either (EB Southland) and have never had an issue price matching anything probably as there is a target, kmart, dick smith and JB in the same centre. Steve and the tall bloke with the ginger beard are pretty down to earth and always up for a chat. Maybe it's because I'm a regular but no one in there has ever bothered pushing anything extra on to me or have questioned returns or anything like that. Where as Chadstone the very odd time I go there I get treated like I've never picked up a controller before. Should my EB have a massive staff turn over and something happens to EB World then I'll permanently shift my business to JB.

/my EB 2c

Southland is my local as well, never go there.. So many other stores with cheaper options :)

I always thought it would be a great job too, then I realised how douchey a lot a gamers can be and figured it probably wouldn't be that great.
So it goes both ways, eh?

I would punch every PC elitist that came in declaring his so-called supremacy.

Not really. As I said in there, the abuse part was something I never saw. But keep in mind, this Mark dude appears to be from Sydney. The Melbourne regional are far more button down. Darren was my first mamnager at EB and he's now one of the 3 regionals for Victoria.

I actually got the arse from EB. Being a young dumb kid, I was buying stuff at staff price and if I didn't want it, I'd return it at FULL price and buy something else. My manager dobbed me in (thought we were mates). Funny thing is, at least I was putting money back into the company, everyone else was "borrowing" for months at a time and then returning and selling as new.

I"m not justifying what I was doing, just funny the way they reacted to it given the way the borrowing was being abused.

But on the "free hours" thing, yeah that was rife even back then. Casuals used to open stores all the time and cover for managers, work reeeeeeally long days. I was actually 2IC at the time I got the arse. Started as a casual and made my way up.

lol I cant believe Darren still works there, what has it been 20 odd years now ? Darren is that really short dude if memory serves ? I had a taste of EB in my early days. I used to manage a Vodafone store, built to it to be one of the largest in Australia, Nick who i believe was the regional/state manager at the time was opening there new store at the time and we got to know each other. He basically head hunted me to help them open there other new store in Watergardens.

It was my first time I have ever been head hunted lol. The money was really good so i moved, boy what a mistake. I was 26 at the time, Just finished my degree, which working at vodafone helped me pay for it ( no hex payments for me lol). Anyway, I help them open there new store and for the first three months it was good. I have always loved games, and it was when diablo and EQ first launched. Managed to play both before they got released, back then we used to get games well before release date. I even went to a E3 which was great.

Did some "training" with Darren he was a nice enough bloke but man, he was so caught up in the EB culture. Actually a lot of posters in this thread remind me why i thank the lord every day that I am no longer in retail, customers are in the main self entitled pricks who cheat and lie to get what they want and when they dont because a staff member is just doing his/her job they rage.

Anyway, I lasted 6 months. What broke it for me was the pokemon cards. They were hugely popular and I had a line of kids mixed in with pasty white unemployed overweight 20-30 year olds demanding s**t and i just looked at them, looked at what I was doing, vomited a little in my mouth and quit.

Yep, those are the ones. I haven't seen them there for a while though.

I wonder if they do hours at other stores? I still see the blonde one occasionally and only see the other once in a blue moon. I typically only go on Thursday evenings (shopping night with the wifey) so I have no idea who is there during the week days. For all I know that's when the douchey managers work.

There used to be a skinny guy there who always had funky hair cuts. He was cool to talk to but I think he is gone now. Just old mate Steve left with the funny looking pinky finger who is easy to talk to and seems like no one more than a gamer who happens to work in a game store to pay his bills. Top bloke and who I always prefer to be served by.

Southland is my local as well, never go there.. So many other stores with cheaper options :)

Be good if their store was a tad bigger than a toilet cubicle.

I wonder if they do hours at other stores? I still see the blonde one occasionally and only see the other once in a blue moon. I typically only go on Thursday evenings (shopping night with the wifey) so I have no idea who is there during the week days. For all I know that's when the douchey managers work.

There used to be a skinny guy there who always had funky hair cuts. He was cool to talk to but I think he is gone now. Just old mate Steve left with the funny looking pinky finger who is easy to talk to and seems like no one more than a gamer who happens to work in a game store to pay his bills. Top bloke and who I always prefer to be served by.

You seem to know these people pretty well. I'm an in and out type of shopper. Don't know the name of the lady who makes my coffee every morning etc.

You seem to know these people pretty well. I'm an in and out type of shopper. Don't know the name of the lady who makes my coffee every morning etc.

We are there every Thursday night religiously lol. The missus goes looking at clothes and whatever else that women do, I grab a voltage from Gloria Jeans (one of the blokes starts making it as soon as he sees me :straining:) then go peruse JB, EB, Rebel Sport and the book stores. It's probably tragic but that's our weekly ritual haha. We're only a minute down the Nepean too so it's also local.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are there every Thursday night religiously lol. The missus goes looking at clothes and whatever else that women do, I grab a voltage from Gloria Jeans (one of the blokes starts making it as soon as he sees me :straining:) then go peruse JB, EB, Rebel Sport and the book stores. It's probably tragic but that's our weekly ritual haha. We're only a minute down the Nepean too so it's also local.

I've probably walked by you a hundred times lol.

Let's keep this to discussion about EB/the games industry etc and not let the thread move into SRP territory.

I love sexual role playing!

*I kiss your neck beard, you get goosebumps*

For games maybe, they constantly refuse on hardware items like Surfaces.

Not sure if I've missed something in your post, but JB Hi-Fi were willing to price-match Dick Smith on a Surface Pro my wife bought a little while back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back