Toast Elliott Yeo and a thankyou from Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

He's more like Cousins than Kerr, destined to be a forward flanker.

Yeo is a freak, clean hands, height, pace and agility.

I know which one I'd rather have. The game demands speed, strength, height, agility and skill to become a truly elite player. Yeo has those traits and in the long run we will hopefully become very satisfied with this trade.

Good to see the Lions go something decent back for him though.:thumbsu:

I would absolutely take Yeo over Taylor. All biase aside.

Taylor showed a lot this year, but played in a very young rebuilding side and took a role where the only real competition was Josh Greene (Maybe Bewick) who ended up playing along side him.

Yeo started across half back in an older more competitive (just) team already boasting Shannon Hurn competing with established players such as Schofield, Bennell, Butler and Sheppard to an extent.

Not discounting the fact either may become very good players. But you may argue that Taylor has a lower ceiling due to height restrictions, Midfields are getting bigger at this point in time and he may be consigned to the forward pocket where he may well flourish for all we know. Ballentyne may be a fair comparison.

Yeo has the size and ball wining ability to play in the midfield, stats show he improves our clearance winning ability and we know that in the midfield is where the heavy lifting is done. That being said its all conjecture as he is yet to take that step but has shown glimpses of his potential this year.

Time is the only factor which will determine this argument however.

The rest of the deal has absolutely nothing to do with the Lions though.

We originally had pick 28 and traded it for Yeo. That's the deal. So it is Taylor v Yeo.

We then decided we'd like another second rounder so we traded 6 for 11 and 31. So then it is Aish (or Scharenberg) v Sheed and Karpany.
Why, it didn't happen in a vacuum. We are comparing what we got, to what we could of had.

I am happy with Yeo, but still angry re 28. Lewis was on the cards and we fluffed it.

What's the equation?

Aish & Lewis vs Sheed, Yeo & Karpany?

WCE on the losing end of that one, but needs more time to evaluate properly.

i really rate Lewis, reminds me a lot of Daniel Kerr

i'd say the equation would be more sheed (we prob would have taken him regardless of aish being available), lewis taylor and yeo (assuming we ended up trading him for 31 or whatever it was)

vs

sheed, yeo and karpany

and the answer is too soon to say, will need to wait and see what karps can deliver

Why, it didn't happen in a vacuum. We are comparing what we got, to what we could of had.

I am happy with Yeo, but still angry re 28. Lewis was on the cards and we fluffed it.

This thread was started by a Brisbane supporter so I was making those comments in line with the OP.

If we were looking at the trade period as a whole obviously it would all be considered (as it has been done a million times in the mega thread), however Taylor v Yeo is the only consideration when talking about this topic with a Lions supporter.

This thread was started by a Brisbane supporter so I was making those comments in line with the OP.

If we were looking at the trade period as a whole obviously it would all be considered (as it has been done a million times in the mega thread), however Taylor v Yeo is the only consideration when talking about this topic with a Lions supporter.
Think we should assess this over three years before we get too excited.

I'd like to say thanks for the 2nd round pick for Elliott Yeo. Original thought we got screwed but pick 28 has turned out pretty well for us so hope Yeo does deliver for you guys.

Im Glad for Brisbane mate Taylor is a little gun im suprised he made it past pick 15

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo is also a cooler last name than Taylor, so yeah.
products.jpg

By giving 31 instead of 28, WC effectively chose Karpany instead of Taylor.

Don't reckon Yeo comes into the equation given we would have got him either way.

Taylor vs Karpany.

By giving 31 instead of 28, WC effectively chose Karpany instead of Taylor.

Don't reckon Yeo comes into the equation given we would have got him either way.

Taylor vs Karpany.
Too early to tell regardless.

Ultimately, I think we did a deal with Brisbane prior to us receiving pick 31 - perhaps the deal was dependant on us getting another pick in the round. Perhaps we thought we could get a pick higher than 28 and didn't want Brisbane demanding that.

I'm not inclined to think we looked at pick 28 and 31 and simply went "oh bugger it, you can have 28, who cares?". There must have been some other deal or process involved.

I don't really have an issue with it. We don't even know if we would have drafted Taylor.

Too early to tell regardless.
Of course.

Ultimately, I think we did a deal with Brisbane prior to us receiving pick 31 - perhaps the deal was dependant on us getting another pick in the round. Perhaps we thought we could get a pick higher than 28 and didn't want Brisbane demanding that.

I'm not inclined to think we looked at pick 28 and 31 and simply went "oh bugger it, you can have 28, who cares?". There must have been some other deal or process involved.

Not sure what you're getting at with 'other deal or process'. I think you're right that the deal was made prior.

I don't really have an issue with it. We don't even know if we would have drafted Taylor.

I reckon we would have gone for Dumont based on what we heard at the time. We wanted either he or Darcy Gardiner at 31 and then Nick Robertson at 43, according to BOND from memory (could be wrong).

With regard to Karpany, how exactly can you go from clocking up 29 touches, nine marks and two goals in the U/18 grand final to struggling to get a touch? Is it simply a lack of preseason thing? Surely his fitness base isn't naturally terrible if he could play such a complete game at the end of a season.
I wanna see him tear it up damnit

With regard to Karpany, how exactly can you go from clocking up 29 touches, nine marks and two goals in the U/18 grand final to struggling to get a touch? Is it simply a lack of preseason thing? Surely his fitness base isn't naturally terrible if he could play such a complete game at the end of a season.
He had injuries last year and this year. From memory he had a really interrupted preseason. Hopefully he can get a good run in the off season and hit the gym.

It's worth noting he did play SANFL league last year and impressed with the quality of his touches.

Not sure what you're getting at with 'other deal or process'. I think you're right that the deal was made prior.
Even if it was just the prior deal with Brisbane.

Ultimately I don't think we were ever in the position of having pick 28 and 31 and considering which to offer.

I'd say it went like this...

We want Yeo but want to keep a second round pick.
We do a deal with Brisbane to complete on the condition we receive a replacement second round pick
We receive selection 11 and 31 for 7 and the Yeo deal completes for 28.

If we didn't have Yeo locked in prior, I doubt we would have gone the downgrade path.

Last edited:
By the look of the highlights video of Karpany u18 grand final performance he played on ball an got a lot of handball receives on the overlap to break the lines . He has not been playing that position in the wafl often and when he has played high half forward and midfield he has looked a million bucks but then dropped off badly due to poor endurance .
Players like Steven motlop player 1 game in first year and 4 in second year .
Christiansen played 0 first year .
Brad hill who had elite endurance played 5 in first year ( 4 as sub )
So given his physical development and lack of preseason Karpany was never going to play seniors .
Hopefully he can have a big preseason and impact wafl seniors and push for debut next year .
He has a skill set we need he just needs time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back