ESSENDON is the most popular club in the AFL after it was revealed the Bombers sell the most replica

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh and back on the topic Collingwood was giving away Collingwood jumpers with every Collingwood fan buying a 3 game membership for $100.00. Apparently Collingwood have 20,000 3 game members. So if Collingwood were not doing this then Collingwood would be ranked no.1 instead of 2!

Pretty good deal to sign up for $100.00 you get to go to three games and get a Collingwood jumper thrown in.

Still I stand by as well as 98% of big footy members that Collingwood is the most supported club in Australia.

Until Essendon start drawing bigger crowds (have not done this since 2004) Essendon were in the finals and Collingwood were in the bottom 4,get more members and start coming first in Facebook, twitter And fan survey's like afl.com and herald sun surveys then Collingwood is still the biggest club in Australia.

So Collingwood pretty much have to sell memberships dirt cheap?

It's a good inicitiave IMO. It only costs the Collingwood fc $20.00 to make the shirts. Anyway Collingwood make more money then any other club from memberships. Last year Collingwood made $16 million from memberships. This year my guess would be they made around $16-$17 million.

It's a good inicitiave IMO. It only costs the Collingwood fc $20.00 to make the shirts. Anyway Collingwood make more money then any other club from memberships. Last year Collingwood made $16 million from memberships. This year my guess would be they made around $16-$17 million.

they do, they have a similar stadium set up as the eagles. part of the pies stadium arrangement with the MCG they have access to several corperate boxes something the other clubs dont have

2nd most.

Oh and back on the topic Collingwood was giving away Collingwood jumpers with every Collingwood fan buying a 3 game membership for $100.00. Apparently Collingwood have 20,000 3 game members. So if Collingwood were not doing this then Collingwood would be ranked no.1 instead of 2!

Pretty good deal to sign up for $100.00 you get to go to three games and get a Collingwood jumper thrown in.

Still I stand by as well as 98% of big footy members that Collingwood is the most supported club in Australia.

Until Essendon start drawing bigger crowds (have not done this since 2004) Essendon were in the finals and Collingwood were in the bottom 4,get more members and start coming first in Facebook, twitter And fan survey's like afl.com and herald sun surveys then Collingwood is still the biggest club in Australia.

So long as Essendon continue to play at Docklands, crowd figures will never be a reliable comparison between the two. The MCG has practically double the capacity and the majority of Victorians prefer it to Etihad.

Whatever.. And I guess Hawthorn with more Facebook likes, higher attendances, membership and jumper sales are therefore a more popular / well supported club than Carlton or Richmond!

What I think I could say is, if Collingwood finish outside the 8 next year whilst Essendon inside the 8, Essendon will likely have higher attendances for the year, more Facebook likes, twitter followers, merchandising sales and TV viewers. It already has more merchandising sales and the most lucrative club sponsorships in the AFL.. All this despite playing games at Ethihad and being largely a basket case for 10 years. Let's see where Collingwood would truly stand on all these measures if it played finals football only 3/10 seasons without winning a final for 10 years. It wouldnt be such a rosy picture would it.

Attendances and membership are not the most accurate objective measure of a clubs popularity.

Whatever.. And I guess Hawthorn with more Facebook likes, higher attendances, membership and jumper sales are therefore a more popular / well supported club than Carlton or Richmond!

What I think I could say is, if Collingwood finish outside the 8 next year whilst Essendon inside the 8, Essendon will likely have higher attendances for the year, more Facebook likes, twitter followers, merchandising sales and TV viewers. It already has more merchandising sales and the most lucrative club sponsorships in the AFL.. All this despite playing games at Ethihad and being largely a basket case for 10 years. Let's see where Collingwood would truly stand on all these measures if it played finals football only 3/10 seasons without winning a final for 10 years. It wouldnt be such a rosy picture would it.

Attendances and membership are not the most accurate objective measure of a clubs popularity.

Do I have to remind you that for 12 years from 1991-2001 Collingwood did not win one final and they never finished below second in attendances. I can not see much changing in this department. So don't think for 1 second that Collingwood fans do not now about loyalty.

Since 1990 Collingwood have finished first in attendance's from;

1990-1995
2002-2003
2005-2014.

Only side to have more fans attend their games then the pies is Essendon. In 1996, 1998-2001 and 2004.

Also at the moment and it pretty much has been for the last 12 years Collingwood have been the biggest club in Victoria. Essendon are second but if you think Essendon are bigger then Collingwood show me evidence. Membership and attendances are the no.1 factors in showing which clubs are the biggest and Collingwood have been no.1 on both fronts since 2005 a year when we finished 15th. Also Collingwood have the most Facebook and twitter followers and in this years AFL.com survey were voted the most popular club. Also with merchandising sales again it is only 1 chain rebal sport that posted sales figures for jumpers only but like I have said previously Collingwood fans who buy a 3 game membership (20,000 of them) are given a jumper for the cost of )$100.00. This would greatly have a impact on sales for rebal sport. Plus Collingwood in the last few years have never posted their merchandising sales so you cannot compare. But Collingwood are a 85 million a year run club the biggest club in Australia. Essendon are around 60 million I think.

Oh and ATM yes hawthorn is the thrid biggest club. Statistics prove this. They draw more people through the gates then the blues and tiger's, have more members and Facebook likes.

Yes things can change and if the tigers and blues get their act together then they can leapfrog hawthorn only if and when the hawks start struggling off field.

Last edited:

What is?

Popularity is relative, the clubs that headline the AFL premiership tally (with the notable exception of the Melbourne FC who have been a basket case for so long) are invariably bundled together as the most popular Victorian clubs anyway.

What is?

Popularity is relative, the clubs that headline the AFL premiership tally (with the notable exception of the Melbourne FC who have been a basket case for so long) are invariably bundled together as the most popular Victorian clubs anyway.
Attendances and membership are to an extent impacted by on field fortunes or stadium arrangements. The point I was making is that It is far too simplistic to use attendances as Rock solid indicator without qualification.

That Collingwood has headed the table for attendances since 2005 is not overly surprising when it's nearest competitor in this respect plays at a stadium with a 44,000 home match capacity, hasn't been a factor on the field whist Collingwood has basically been a top 4 contender for 10 years. So it's not objective to place too much emphasis on attendances. It's certainly fair to say Richmond is much closer to Collingwood than their attendances suggest.

Membership is also limited to an extent as again on field fortunes and stadium arrangements impact this key measure.

I would argue the Dreamteam and Superteam breakdowns are a more accurate reflection of nation support. These are large surveys across a national spectrum.

I am not saying attendances and memberships are not good indicators. They are............. Until you consider Adelaides home crowds that point to the most popular club which is not totally unreasonable. But the other metrics confirm Adelaides support is primarily in SA whereas some of the big Vic clubs have a broader national appeal which is picked up in other metrics of club popularity.

It's important that we don't place too much weight behind these without considering the other indicators like large national surveys, merchandising sales for example. Facebook and Twitter are good general indicators but are again influenced by in field fortunes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree dave10, we need the Dreamteam and SuperCoach numbers to complete the puzzle

cant believe how many people use those stats in serious footy discussions these days

Attendances and membership are to an extent impacted by on field fortunes or stadium arrangements. The point I was making is that It is far too simplistic to use attendances as Rock solid indicator without qualification.

That Collingwood has headed the table for attendances since 2005 is not overly surprising when it's nearest competitor in this respect plays at a stadium with a 44,000 home match capacity, hasn't been a factor on the field whist Collingwood has basically been a top 4 contender for 10 years. So it's not objective to place too much emphasis on attendances. It's certainly fair to say Richmond is much closer to Collingwood than their attendances suggest.

Membership is also limited to an extent as again on field fortunes and stadium arrangements impact this key measure.

I would argue the Dreamteam and Superteam breakdowns are a more accurate reflection of nation support. These are large surveys across a national spectrum.

I am not saying attendances and memberships are not good indicators. They are............. Until you consider Adelaides home crowds that point to the most popular club which is not totally unreasonable. But the other metrics confirm Adelaides support is primarily in SA whereas some of the big Vic clubs have a broader national appeal which is picked up in other metrics of club popularity.

It's important that we don't place too much weight behind these without considering the other indicators like large national surveys, merchandising sales for example. Facebook and Twitter are good general indicators but are again influenced by in field fortunes.

The only problem is that dreamteam figures would be biases towards younger generations.

I suspect it would underestimate teams like Richmond

Do I have to remind you that for 12 years from 1991-2001 Collingwood did not win one final and they never finished below second in attendances. I can not see much changing in this department. So don't think for 1 second that Collingwood fans do not now about loyalty.

Since 1990 Collingwood have finished first in attendance's from;

1990-1995
2002-2003
2005-2014.

Only side to have more fans attend their games then the pies is Essendon. In 1996, 1998-2001 and 2004.

Also at the moment and it pretty much has been for the last 12 years Collingwood have been the biggest club in Victoria. Essendon are second but if you think Essendon are bigger then Collingwood show me evidence. Membership and attendances are the no.1 factors in showing which clubs are the biggest and Collingwood have been no.1 on both fronts since 2005 a year when we finished 15th. Also Collingwood have the most Facebook and twitter followers and in this years AFL.com survey were voted the most popular club. Also with merchandising sales again it is only 1 chain rebal sport that posted sales figures for jumpers only but like I have said previously Collingwood fans who buy a 3 game membership (20,000 of them) are given a jumper for the cost of )$100.00. This would greatly have a impact on sales for rebal sport. Plus Collingwood in the last few years have never posted their merchandising sales so you cannot compare. But Collingwood are a 85 million a year run club the biggest club in Australia. Essendon are around 60 million I think.

Oh and ATM yes hawthorn is the thrid biggest club. Statistics prove this. They draw more people through the gates then the blues and tiger's, have more members and Facebook likes.

Yes things can change and if the tigers and blues get their act together then they can leapfrog hawthorn only if and when the hawks start struggling off field.

no the myth of collingwood of being this huge Juggernaut of a team so much bigger than every other team,
that has a cheerleader president mentioning collingwood every chance he has on tv, raidio or print, promotion money cant by.

success brings fans. since 2002 collingwood has won a flag, runners up twice & played in 8 successive finals series & play the majority of its games at the MCG
Essendon has been a basket case since 2002. but is only a few k behind in the crowds, playing most games out of etihad, with a home game capacity of 44k. as well as, it is known the MCG will always draw more people to a game than Edihad.
twitter facebook home games away games
Essendon 59,800 274,557 48,009k 46,962k
Collingwood 61,300 289,627 45,067k 43,839k

reveue
Essendon $63 million (includes 8.6 million poke)
Collingwood 75.2 million includes 22.17 million in poke & 11 million in development money)
Essendon makes more money out side from poke revenue & still in the top few for merchandise sold every year

so the myth that collingwood is this colossus of a club that is untouchable is utter crap.

http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2014.html
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...how-relevant-is-your-club-20140603-zrwo2.html

no the myth of collingwood of being this huge Juggernaut of a team so much bigger than every other team,
that has a cheerleader president mentioning collingwood every chance he has on tv, raidio or print, promotion money cant by.

success brings fans. since 2002 collingwood has won a flag, runners up twice & played in 8 successive finals series & play the majority of its games at the MCG
Essendon has been a basket case since 2002. but is only a few k behind in the crowds, playing most games out of etihad, with a home game capacity of 44k. as well as, it is known the MCG will always draw more people to a game than Edihad.
twitter facebook home games away games
Essendon 59,800 274,557 48,009k 46,962k
Collingwood 61,300 289,627 45,067k 43,839k

reveue
Essendon $63 million (includes 8.6 million poke)
Collingwood 75.2 million includes 22.17 million in poke & 11 million in development money)
Essendon makes more money out side from poke revenue & still in the top few for merchandise sold every year

so the myth that collingwood is this colossus of a club that is untouchable is utter crap.

http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2014.html
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...how-relevant-is-your-club-20140603-zrwo2.html

When Collingwood are flying no club that is right no club draws bigger crowds then Collingwood. In 2010 during the home and away season the pies drew 1.3 million fans for 22 games.

Essendon have never drawn more people then the pies in the home and away season when Collingwood have played finals. Since 1990 Collingwood and Essendon have both played in the finals series in 1990, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011 and Essendon have never drawn more people then the pies.

The only years that Essendon have drawn more fans then Collingwood was in 1996, 1998-2001 and 2004 and that was when the bombers were playing finals and Collingwood were pretty much in the bottom 4 every year.

I'm just stating that yes Collingwood are the biggest victorian club by how much I'm not sure but the facts don't lie that Collingwood is the biggest club in the afl especially if the pies are a top 4 team. Essendon no doubt would be clear 2nd and then their is not much of a support difference between the hawks, tigers and blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back