Famous North Melbourne debuts

Remove this Banner Ad

Byron Picketts debut was memorable to me only because it was an absolute shocker. He lined up in the fwd pocket on Brad Sholl. I think choppy got dragged at qtr time with zero pos. and Sholl had a couple of goals and a ton of the ball from the back pocket. I dont think he got another game for 12 months. Thought he was a dud. Turned into an absolute gun.

To this day I still think there was some sort of Fine Cotton scandal behind this.

No other explanation.

Last edited:
Boomers late call up to play in the 99' State of Origin...the rest is history!

I was there in the rain....a bit like Carey and I'd Origin stamp game for Boomer...both had been good players for us prior to Origin and afterwards they both became stars.

I saw every game Richard Michalczyk played ( showing my age ) Big unit Johnny Law type. Was a star in '75 flag year. Hit with injury and Gary Farrant replaced him towards the end of the year.

I'm pretty sure IAN FAIRLEY kicked 4 on debut and 3 with his first 3 kicks.
And as far as I know, he is the only person to kick goals with his first and last kick in VFL/AFL.
Ben Rutten from Adelaide kicked 3 goals with his first 3 kicks and 1 with his last kick. Same as Flossy, even though a contested mark and goal in the goal square in the last minute of a winning GF is the way to go out.

LT kicked something like 0.5 on debut if I recall. It was the game against Collingwood at the 'G when Shagga hit the post from 10 meters out with a minute to go.

Just came in to post that.

Freakish debut. Had everything falling his way, just couldn't nail anything.

Showed all the signs though that he'd be quite the player for us.

Ben Rutten from Adelaide kicked 3 goals with his first 3 kicks and 1 with his last kick. Same as Flossy, even though a contested mark and goal in the goal square in the last minute of a winning GF is the way to go out.

Thanks for the info. Agree with you, much rather kick my last goal in a winning GF.

LT kicked something like 0.5 on debut if I recall. It was the game against Collingwood at the 'G when Shagga hit the post from 10 meters out with a minute to go.

Grant was inside 50, was given a fifty metre penalty and the mark set at the top of the square.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess in the end, Majak didn't play a great game in his debut, but it was memorable. I wonder if anyone else can recall either famous North Melbourne debuts or Debuts of famous North Melbourne players.

Some that immediately jumped to mind for me was Adrian McAdam coming in as a late inclusion on a Friday night in 1993 against Richmond and kicking a lazy 7 goals. Then for some reason Kent Kingsley popped into my head when he kicked 6 on debut in a close win against Port. McAdam was an unbelievable talent that didn't last. Kingsley wasn't a great talent and probably just had a good day.

As for the debut of great players, there's no greater player than Wayne Carey. He hardly touched the ball in his debut, but it was memorable for the conditions. Played on a field of mud in driving rain and freezing cold at Princes Park in 1989, we held Fitzroy to just one goal for the match. I've never seen conditions in a match as bad as it was that day. Not a great day for a tall forward, but Carey did nothing to show what a remarkable player he would become.

Thanks for nothing Marstermind. :mad:

21 touches, 10 marks, 10 hitouts, three tackles and four clearances. Who might you ask?

71753462-brad-moran-of-the-kangaroos-takes-a-mark-gettyimages.jpg

Traded him for Pick 37 = Scotty Thompson

Hey I was there, and it was brilliant. Even better against the Swans in the next match at Arden Street where they teamed up beautifully. Always remember Phil's tap on to Jimmy over on the forward flank near the scoreboard right in front of me. Will have to get this clip up on you tube or something.
'
ha saw that game on tv, Lou Richards creaming himself when Jimmy knuckled someone for pummelling Phil.

I guess in the end, Majak didn't play a great game in his debut, but it was memorable. I wonder if anyone else can recall either famous North Melbourne debuts or Debuts of famous North Melbourne players.

Some that immediately jumped to mind for me was Adrian McAdam coming in as a late inclusion on a Friday night in 1993 against Richmond and kicking a lazy 7 goals. Then for some reason Kent Kingsley popped into my head when he kicked 6 on debut in a close win against Port. McAdam was an unbelievable talent that didn't last. Kingsley wasn't a great talent and probably just had a good day.

As for the debut of great players, there's no greater player than Wayne Carey. He hardly touched the ball in his debut, but it was memorable for the conditions. Played on a field of mud in driving rain and freezing cold at Princes Park in 1989, we held Fitzroy to just one goal for the match. I've never seen conditions in a match as bad as it was that day. Not a great day for a tall forward, but Carey did nothing to show what a remarkable player he would become.

I remember being at Victioria Park later that first year for McAdam when he kicked 8 or 9 against the pies. Standing room only. The racist tirades were vicious and relentless. Appalling then, jail-worthy now. The pie supporters truly, honestly had no teeth. I remember smiling as my girlfriend and I walked home from the game when we saw pie supporters ripping pickets off fences in fury. Aah. Good times.

I remember being at Victioria Park later that first year for McAdam when he kicked 8 or 9 against the pies. Standing room only. The racist tirades were vicious and relentless. Appalling then, jail-worthy now. The pie supporters truly, honestly had no teeth. I remember smiling as my girlfriend and I walked home from the game when we saw pie supporters ripping pickets off fences in fury. Aah. Good times.

Suprised you got out alive ! What we win by that day ? 13 goals ?
And did not Adrian kick 10 the next week against the Swans ? Stood at the Robert Heatly end for that one.

Twas a great day. One of the best.

One of my favourites of all time. McAdam gave Gayfer a bath that day. Tony Shaw cracking the shits and shoving the ball in McAdams face resulting in another goal. My favourite part was when Duck ran into an open goal in the last and did the windmill fist pump in front of the feral outer.

One of my favourites of all time. McAdam gave Gayfer a bath that day. Tony Shaw cracking the shits and shoving the ball in McAdams face resulting in another goal. My favourite part was when Duck ran into an open goal in the last and did the windmill fist pump in front of the feral outer.
For the first time in his career, Gayfer was penalised for holding his opponent when the ball was still 40 metres away. He had no plan B, his career was effectively over.

Should have happened to Silvagni.

I'd love to see it happen to Liam Picken.

Yep, terrible day. Kanga made the boys roll around in the mud during the warm up. Duck couldn't get a touch and got dragged by Kanga for trying to start fights. I remember that day clearly as I went to the match with my Fitzroy loving neighbour and the tumbles in the warm-up happened in front of us. I remember nothing about Carey's game.

I remember this game, I didnt go, But clearly remember, being in the car coming home with my parents from Northland ( Us all being Fitzroy supporters) and being dissapointed with the loss.

Iirc Welsh had the worst 2 debut games for the club - and 12 months apart too.

Game 1 1996 - 0 stats, 1 free against.
Game 2 1997 - 0 stats, 1 free against.

Then 1998 it started coming together and he showed signs of the good player he'd become. Pity he went home.

Goes to show though, the wonders of properly developing players first.

Welsh was a good player, I think went home for family/personal reasons. Remember 1 particular game when he was playing against us at Etihad, around 2005, and he kicked a few and helped beat us by a few goals. I remember this because of the lady and her 2 daughters sitting behind us, North supporters, cheering for Welsh, and kept yelling out, go Scotty. They were getting looks from everyone around them for supporting the opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back