Favourite Collingwood Goals

Remove this Banner Ad

No problem calling him Twiggy Dunne then but these days there's a question mark against your integrity as a human being if you dare to comment 'negatively' on a player's appearance. Mr Spindle Legs if we rookie him will be Twiggy Dunne Mk2. It was a wonder that Twiggy survived the bash and crash of largely unregulated football back in those days. He was also one of my favourite players and his mark and look on his face in that final were memorable.

I think everyone liked him. My earliest memory of Twiggy is him kicking a monstrous barrel at Princes Park from the half forward flank to goal at the scoreboard end.

Len Thompson, a true champion ruckman, who like P Daicos changed the nature of the game, being 6ft 6 in, with incredible running ability kicked a goal that will be forever etched in my memory. Adjacent to the mini on~ ground scoreboard at Windy Hill, he calmly booted a 65 metre set shot, which inspired us to victory and quietened the red and black hordes.

Len Thompson, a true champion ruckman, who like P Daicos changed the nature of the game, being 6ft 6 in, with incredible running ability kicked a goal that will be forever etched in my memory. Adjacent to the mini on~ ground scoreboard at Windy Hill, he calmly booted a 65 metre set shot, which inspired us to victory and quietened the red and black hordes.
Is this the goal that he dropped kicked from 65 meters out?

Last edited:

1. Peter Daicos vs West Coast QF 1990

2. Alan Didak vs Bulldogs QF 2010

3. Pendlebury vs Geelong PF 2010

4. De Goey vs West Coast GF 2018

5. McGuane vs Carlton H&A 1994

Jamie's Goal vs Carlton last year JUST missed out

Last edited:
1. Peter Daicos vs West Coast QF 1990

2. Alan Didak vs Bulldogs QF 2010

3. Pendlebury vs Geelong PF 2010

4. De Goey vs West Coast GF 2018

5. McGuane vs Carlton H&A 1994

Jamie's Goal vs Carlton last year JUST missed out

the Daicos goal from the boundary in 1990 against WC was ridiculous, just when we needed it as well. not a bad lot of players in the set up either, Brown, Millane and Daicos. dont underestimate Daicos goal from the other pocket on grand final day against Essendon in 1990, as always, just when we needed it

the Daicos goal from the boundary in 1990 against WC was ridiculous, just when we needed it as well. not a bad lot of players in the set up either, Brown, Millane and Daicos. dont underestimate Daicos goal from the other pocket on grand final day against Essendon in 1990, as always, just when we needed it

Oh look, you could make a Top 100 just from Peter in reality.

Obviously these are just my personal favourites that for me make up a combination of:

• Skill in the goal itself
  • Timing
  • Crowd involvement
  • Importance of the goal

They're generally at least a couple of the above requirements or all of them

Like, Pendlebury's for example would probably look like the odd one out to most people? But just something about that goal. In the moment it was just incredible in how it brought the crowd to its feet. Even on reply, the commentary from Bruce and the volume of the crowd. Being there it felt to me like the goal where we knew we had it.

So many

No 1 - Doug Barwicks goal in the last Q 1990 GF. It was a nice goal but the significance was the end of the Colliwobbles. For everyone who lived through the 60's, 70's, 80's and all those lost GFs and finals. Lost in so many soul destroying ways, no one was prepared to call things early. 40 points up at 3/4 time and then 20 mins goalless last Q. Even at that point Pie fans could see a 6 goal lead could evaporate in 10 mins. When Dougy goaled, it was like the whole crowd looked at each other. 7 goals up with less than 10 min on the clock. We knew we couldn't lose and everyone just went off. Biggest few minutes of celebration in the history of footy for mine.

No 2 - Daicos WCE last Q of the QF. The brilliance, the audacity, the mind that could conceive to kick a goal the likes of which had never been seen before. Unbelievable

No 3 - Daicos 1st Q 1990 GF broke the deadlock in that granny, a moment of brilliance.

No 4 - Twiggy Dunne 1977 Momentus

No 5 - Peter McKenna one of his 16 goals at Vic Park in 1970. We got to souvenir one of the footys he kicked out of the ground. Collingwoods best goalkicker of the modern era

Oh look, you could make a Top 100 just from Peter in reality.

Obviously these are just my personal favourites that for me make up a combination of:

• Skill in the goal itself
  • Timing
  • Crowd involvement
  • Importance of the goal

They're generally at least a couple of the above requirements or all of them

Like, Pendlebury's for example would probably look like the odd one out to most people? But just something about that goal. In the moment it was just incredible in how it brought the crowd to its feet. Even on reply, the commentary from Bruce and the volume of the crowd. Being there it felt to me like the goal where we knew we had it.

Even 13 years later, that Pendlebury goal gives me chills. I agree with you the roar of the crowd was something I hadn’t associated with any other goal - and prelim crowds are always louder than any other crowds. The reaction is so loud, it temporarily distorts the audio on the recording. Everything about it is incredible: the finish on the wrong foot, the pressure that brought it on, Beam’s perfect forward handball, the crowd goes up almost as it leaves the boot. It was this goal where I felt we had broken a very good team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are your top 5 favourite Collingwood goals ever. Not the best goals you have seen for skill but your favourites.

My top 5

1. De Goey 2023 Grand Final. As a kid you spent years dreaming of a Collingwood player putting us in front in the dying minutes of a Grand Final. To slam ir through from 50m on the run just made it even better. Have watched this goal countless times. ‘Here’s the De Goey moment. He unloads. BANG. You need your stars and Collingwood’s stars just went and wrenched the cup back.

2. Swany’s goal in the 3rd in the 2010 Grand Final. I knew it was over then and the party began. ‘Swans gonna kick a goal. Their home you’d think. I know there’s a long way to go but their killing them now’

3. Big Monkeys goal in the last in 90. 32 years of pain, torment and torture lifted from our shoulders.

4. Daics in the Qualyfying Final out at Waverley vs Eagles. The magic, the timing, the crowd.

5. Pendles in the 1st qtr 2010 Prelim. Geelong buckled under our pressure. It was the night Bruce sai ‘It’s like. Tsunami’
All great goals but I have to have Rocca's 75 metre bomb in the third term in that win over Adelaide in the 2002 prelim final in my top five. The noise was incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rocca goal in the 02 PF was immense!

The roar when Checkers banged his through against Giants in the PF this year was pretty amazing too.

Elliott killing Carlton's season in 2022!

L.Ball in the 2011 PF

Didak in the 03 QF

Jordy in 23 GF takes some topping though.

Didak 2010 GF replay. It stays in my mind as it was the moment myself and others that were watching in the pub, went from thinking we should win this, to we will win this. It set the scene for what would be a quarter and a half long celebration of us winning a flag, the first flag we'd won in my lifetime. The euphoria in that moment and after the final siren was unbelievable. Dids had some ripper goals, but that was my most memorable.

Dale Thomas’s goal against Geelong in 2008 when we spanked them for their only loss in that home and away season is very underrated, anyone got any footage of it?

So many

No 1 - Doug Barwicks goal in the last Q 1990 GF. It was a nice goal but the significance was the end of the Colliwobbles. For everyone who lived through the 60's, 70's, 80's and all those lost GFs and finals. Lost in so many soul destroying ways, no one was prepared to call things early. 40 points up at 3/4 time and then 20 mins goalless last Q. Even at that point Pie fans could see a 6 goal lead could evaporate in 10 mins. When Dougy goaled, it was like the whole crowd looked at each other. 7 goals up with less than 10 min on the clock. We knew we couldn't lose and everyone just went off. Biggest few minutes of celebration in the history of footy for mine.

No 2 - Daicos WCE last Q of the QF. The brilliance, the audacity, the mind that could conceive to kick a goal the likes of which had never been seen before. Unbelievable

No 3 - Daicos 1st Q 1990 GF broke the deadlock in that granny, a moment of brilliance.

No 4 - Twiggy Dunne 1977 Momentus

No 5 - Peter McKenna one of his 16 goals at Vic Park in 1970. We got to souvenir one of the footys he kicked out of the ground. Collingwoods best goalkicker of the modern era
Perfect description of the context and significance of that Barwick goal. I will never forget it — the roar was incredible and the concrete fabric of the northern stand actually vibrated with the sound. I’ve never experienced anything like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back