Favourite Collingwood Goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale Thomas’s goal against Geelong in 2008 when we spanked them for their only loss in that home and away season is very underrated, anyone got any footage of it?
8.40 minutes in (it was a beauty!):

You can watch the whole game here if you have the time!:

Last edited:
8.40 minutes in (it was a beauty!):

You can watch the whole game here if you have the time!:

The days when Daisy had a soul.

Never had more goosebumps than I just got from reading this thread.

Most of mine are already here, but i’ll add pretty much all of Leon’s. He really was poetry in motion when at his best.

I'm of the age where that Doug Barwick goal gave me the greatest joy ever as well.

Len Thompson, a true champion ruckman, who like P Daicos changed the nature of the game, being 6ft 6 in, with incredible running ability kicked a goal that will be forever etched in my memory. Adjacent to the mini on~ ground scoreboard at Windy Hill, he calmly booted a 65 metre set shot, which inspired us to victory and quietened the red and black hordes.
I also remember that one — I was fortunate enough to be directly behind him in the outer and see it all the way. My memory has stretched it to beyond 65m, but that’s ok. Incredible kick.

1 Craig Starcevich on the run against Carlton in 1988 to put us in front.
2 Steele Sidebottom in 2023 grand final
3 Mike Richardson from the boundary line against Melbourne round 1 1983
4 Mark Williams to the small scoreboard end at vfl Park against Hawthorn 1984
5 Travis Cloke from 50 metres against Brisbane at the gabba 2007
From my earlier years (1983-present) following our Club, I can't think of a more electrifying game and outcome than watching our boys turn it up on Wayne Johnston's bad boys at a time when "THE Rivalry" was still an ugly and heated affair. That last six minutes of the game was awe inspiring as Craig Starcevich found himself at the right place at the right time for three timely goals with the crowd going into a greater frenzy as he kicked one after another and topped off by Banks' goal square six-pointer (NOTE: Graham Wright missed one to close out the scoring). But great call on this one as I'll never get sick of watching those last six minutes:

I would have also nominated our GM, Graham Wright, for his career best six goals (NOTE: missed seventh was a killer) the same 1988 season, Round #6, against Hawthorn in a game where I thought our boys would finally break the spell over the Hawks; alas, it was not to be:

Peace!

Perfect description of the context and significance of that Barwick goal. I will never forget it — the roar was incredible and the concrete fabric of the northern stand actually vibrated with the sound. I’ve never experienced anything like it.
Yep its like a beacon in Collingwood memories. Everyone Pie fan there was thinking the same thing and that goalless 20 mins had us all on tenderhooks. But when we released, and it occurred naturally in total synch, everyone just went off.

I could probably suggest any ten of Peter Daicos's goals, or Manassa's, or a Johnny Greening special or two...but for pure STEEL and for what it meant to the team I can't go past our two veterans (Pendles and Rusty) and their goals in the '23 GF. Both HAD to be kicked...both just happened to be "outside their range" or "this has always been his achilles heel" but both players TOOK their chance under extreme pressure and in tight games THAT'S WHAT MATTERS.

An honourable mention to Jack Crisp also, his goals throughout the finals series (much like his general play) were inspirational.

Kicking set shot goals is both the simplest skill to master as well as being the most demanding aspect of our great game. Like making putts that you're supposed to...your mind plays tricks on you and when external pressure is applied, only the most outstanding players are up to it. JDG's 50m snap to regain the lead was magnificent, but he had milliseconds to contemplate its success or failure as he took possession of the ball. Set shots are different, you are made to feel the anxiety of your skills and concentration.

I've often thought that if Mason Cox had have been allowed to take his set shot immediately in the final quarter of the 2018 GF (he'd just slotted one and was feeling good) instead of being stopped in his preparation whilst an umpire sent a WCE player off for a dribble of blood on his knee, that Mase would have sunk the Weagles there and then. As it was he had to wait 30-40 seconds whilst the WCE player was trudged off and when play resumed Mason kicked the ball across the face....set shots...they're a different level of difficulty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back