News Financial Results (moved discussion on TPP/veterans/rookies from post #107)

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how little we get I don't think we are really relying on them.

I'm not saying we are, just that I hope we never have to. The redevelopment of Moorabbin should be pokie free and the club should give them up for good. Take out the gaming revenue from Carlton or Brisbane and they aren't doing much better than we are.

If we get the 8k members back that we have lost since 2010 then we would be in a much better position. Add in a not horribly s**t stadium deal and we should be fine without having to sell our soul and damage the community we claim to want to be a part of.

Wow, what hope have we got competing with the other clubs with Melbourne, Bulldogs & North doing better then us with revenue. After being a fairly successful club for a fair while to be in this position on and off the Field now shows how badly the club was run under the Westaway/ Nettifold administration

Coming off the back of one of the clubs most successful eras you have to wonder if the club administrators are ever going to get the club into a competitive financial position? The off field player dramas and coach turnovers Lyon/Watters wouldn't help with sponsorship and membership sales, then be aggressive if it takes the club setting up sporting clubs with (gaming) then so be it. But they need to create their own financial streams rather than being a charity case and the lowest earning club in the competition!

Coming off the back of one of the clubs most successful eras you have to wonder if the club administrators are ever going to get the club into a competitive financial position? The off field player dramas and coach turnovers Lyon/Watters wouldn't help with sponsorship and membership sales, then be aggressive if it takes the club setting up sporting clubs with (gaming) then so be it. But they need to create their own financial streams rather than being a charity case and the lowest earning club in the competition!

I think the off field drams hurt the club so badly that even though we were reasonably successful on-field, off field the saints (for whatever the reason) were sh$t. we went from one drama to the next, in the papers for no good reason, for a few years. I think, it will take quite a while to get rid of that stigma

I don't get pokies. Either everyone should do it and bleed the pensioners dry, or they should be banned altogether. As no one has the balls to ban them, I say "Go for Gold" and roll them out everywhere! Suck the life out society, whatever is left of it.

The Saints have next to zero income from it, pretty dumb. Just wipe them out and have a clear conscience ffs.

Think of the kind of initiatives the Club has put in place this year, in terms of community engagement around the South-East and the Bay, and THEN think of how much stronger we'd be if they'd started doing that five years ago.

Think of the very strict emphasis on "character" among recruiters - essentially, "We don't want any more rape, nude pictures, etc, etc." Think of all the young guys at the B&F who had the same girl on their arm that they had last year - that screams "stable", and "unlikely to cause scandal". We have learnt the hard way that that kind of thing costs you money - a lot of money.

Think of all the great stuff they've done with the webpage, etc, including the futurefest.

The bad news is, it should have happened half a decade ago.

But the good news is, it's happening now. And I suspect it will start to pay dividends, probably in 2017. They are laying the groundwork, so that when we have a half-decent year in 2016, we'll be able to capitalise on it when memberships open in 2017.
  • 2015 will be a tough year financially, because there won't be many people who jump on the membership bandwagon after this year finishing bottom. Hopefully, some will jump on because of the exciting youth, but yeah, it's not going to be a boom year. All we do now, is create some goodwill in the wider community, a "feel"...
  • 2016, won't be a great year either financially, given we're expecting to finish bottom four again. But yeah, more building goodwill. More than that, ON field we should start winning a bit more, and start looking dangerous, a soon-to-invade-top-8 contender.
  • 2017, with all that goodwill built up, and the hope from our finish in 2016, THEN we will have a bumper crop. More than that, the mechanisms put in place to build the goodwill, will now be employed to maintain it. THEN we'll have a permanent financial strength. Happy trails thereafter.

I'm not saying we are, just that I hope we never have to. The redevelopment of Moorabbin should be pokie free and the club should give them up for good. Take out the gaming revenue from Carlton or Brisbane and they aren't doing much better than we are.

They're ingrained in local leagues, and effectively pay for entire football clubs in these leagues. Whilst I agree that they should not be necessary, after seeing the financials due tot he old man being chairman of the board at one such club, effectively there would be no club without that revenue stream, no ifs and or buts it simply could not have existed.

Whilst this is the case, there will always be an intrinsic link between AFL and pokies, especially so when you consider that it's kinda obvious which local team I'm speaking for (look left if you're confused) and we aren't even talking more centralised / higher rated leagues with far higher expendiatures.

They're ingrained in local leagues, and effectively pay for entire football clubs in these leagues. Whilst I agree that they should not be necessary, after seeing the financials due tot he old man being chairman of the board at one such club, effectively there would be no club without that revenue stream, no ifs and or buts it simply could not have existed.

Whilst this is the case, there will always be an intrinsic link between AFL and pokies, especially so when you consider that it's kinda obvious which local team I'm speaking for (look left if you're confused) and we aren't even talking more centralised / higher rated leagues with far higher expendiatures.

But we aren't a small local club. We have much more access to other revenue streams than those smaller clubs. We aren't making any money from them anyway, they are about as morally acceptable as selling cigarettes so we should just just avoid pokies all together. There are plenty of AFL clubs doing perfectly fine without revenue from pokies and we could use it as a point of difference to sell the club to the local community.

Think of the kind of initiatives the Club has put in place this year, in terms of community engagement around the South-East and the Bay, and THEN think of how much stronger we'd be if they'd started doing that five years ago.

Think of the very strict emphasis on "character" among recruiters - essentially, "We don't want any more rape, nude pictures, etc, etc." Think of all the young guys at the B&F who had the same girl on their arm that they had last year - that screams "stable", and "unlikely to cause scandal". We have learnt the hard way that that kind of thing costs you money - a lot of money.

Think of all the great stuff they've done with the webpage, etc, including the futurefest.

The bad news is, it should have happened half a decade ago.

But the good news is, it's happening now. And I suspect it will start to pay dividends, probably in 2017. They are laying the groundwork, so that when we have a half-decent year in 2016, we'll be able to capitalise on it when memberships open in 2017.
  • 2015 will be a tough year financially, because there won't be many people who jump on the membership bandwagon after this year finishing bottom. Hopefully, some will jump on because of the exciting youth, but yeah, it's not going to be a boom year. All we do now, is create some goodwill in the wider community, a "feel"...
  • 2016, won't be a great year either financially, given we're expecting to finish bottom four again. But yeah, more building goodwill. More than that, ON field we should start winning a bit more, and start looking dangerous, a soon-to-invade-top-8 contender.
  • 2017, with all that goodwill built up, and the hope from our finish in 2016, THEN we will have a bumper crop. More than that, the mechanisms put in place to build the goodwill, will now be employed to maintain it. THEN we'll have a permanent financial strength. Happy trails thereafter.

This stuff should've happened at least since 2007. But with constant off field dramas, lyon probably thought the 'bubble' would work. It did on field but the lack of good media stories I think made things worse. Now we are trying to catch up.

Sometimes I hold my breath when there is breaking footy news thinking oh no what's the saints done now. But since early this year I think things are changing.

On saintsational they are saying the major sponsor is leaving. We need new sponsors. A growing supporter base and its difficult when we are last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But we aren't a small local club. We have much more access to other revenue streams than those smaller clubs. We aren't making any money from them anyway, they are about as morally acceptable as selling cigarettes so we should just just avoid pokies all together. There are plenty of AFL clubs doing perfectly fine without revenue from pokies and we could use it as a point of difference to sell the club to the local community.

What we should do and what we currently can do are two vastly different things.

Local leagues are indebted to pokies to remain solvent, the further up you go this is lessened depending on capital already gained, and capital that can be gained without resorting to them, however any club with a social club will inevitably draw upon income generated from gambling. You even said it yourself;

Take out the gaming revenue from Carlton or Brisbane and they aren't doing much better than we are.

Even at the highest level, with far greater revenue streams clubs in a batter position than ours are relying on a portion of that to supplement spending.

This is what makes the Wellington push vital. Now, I personally don't take much stock in the south east corridor, it may be a growth area but there's not much investment wise to hang a hat on if you're a club, and Victoria by and large is already committed to sides sponsorship wise, it's why the Hawks sell to Tassie, why the Tigges sell to NT and why North generally sell to whoever is buying, unlike these efforts though, Wellington could open up an entire country worth of sponsorship. Far better than some state government and car manufacturer constantly needing a bailout so they can bugger off I would imagine. May not have the same impact here face wise, but will be instrumental in how we progress as far as assets and streams go.

What we should do and what we currently can do are two vastly different things.

Local leagues are indebted to pokies to remain solvent, the further up you go this is lessened depending on capital already gained, and capital that can be gained without resorting to them, however any club with a social club will inevitably draw upon income generated from gambling. You even said it yourself;

Even at the highest level, with far greater revenue streams clubs in a batter position than ours are relying on a portion of that to supplement spending.

This is what makes the Wellington push vital. Now, I personally don't take much stock in the south east corridor, it may be a growth area but there's not much investment wise to hang a hat on if you're a club, and Victoria by and large is already committed to sides sponsorship wise, it's why the Hawks sell to Tassie, why the Tigges sell to NT and why North generally sell to whoever is buying, unlike these efforts though, Wellington could open up an entire country worth of sponsorship. Far better than some state government and car manufacturer constantly needing a bailout so they can bugger off I would imagine. May not have the same impact here face wise, but will be instrumental in how we progress as far as assets and streams go.

Hopefully the club with the change of CEO, marketing and sponsorship staff, will improve dramatically, from what has been happening at the club in the last couple of years. They missed a sponsor last year for NZ due to lack of follow up, with an Australian company with operations in NZ and North America. Poor form that can only get better.

tumblr_nc10a7ikst1tmok6qo1_r3_1280.jpg

OUCH!!!!:eek:
Thats even hard for me to put a positive spin on:oops:
I tried my special glasses but they couldnt handle the strain
cracked_rose_colored_glasses.jpg

Hopefully the club with the change of CEO, marketing and sponsorship staff, will improve dramatically, from what has been happening at the club in the last couple of years. They missed a sponsor last year for NZ due to lack of follow up, with an Australian company with operations in NZ and North America. Poor form that can only get better.

The sponsor miss I was aware of, aware of several clubs who also approached the company I work for, which the Tigers got the biccies for as well that we didn't put in much of an effort with either (aware of 4 other clubs who attempted, the benefits of customer servicing!) So whilst I probably come off as a bit critical at times, I just think we were reactive as well as well as safe, might have been needed initially but it probably dragged on too long to be sustainable. This administration appears as though the foundation is stronger than it might have appeared to be, and they seem willing to take some risks in the process, whether this translates into positive action or if our floundering missed the boat entirely it's too early to call, but it's a good thing to see some proactive decision making.

Bulldogs and north really arent doing much better then us either. Goes to show just how bad the Ethihad deal is screwing us. Change that and suddenly were back in the black.

Bulldogs and north really arent doing much better then us either. Goes to show just how bad the Ethihad deal is screwing us. Change that and suddenly were back in the black.
Melbourne fly in the face of that though. They haven't got much different take than us based on members and gate take. They only have more due to gambling.

Melbourne fly in the face of that though. They haven't got much different take than us based on members and gate take. They only have more due to gambling.

By that graph I can almost guarantee that the pink other/venue is linked to money made at the MCG through whichever deal they have going. Bulldogs has a sliver as well but it obviously doesnt tell us specifically.

Also, no one shows up to Melbourne games so that doesnt help :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back