Fiztroy-North Melbourne Kangaroos?

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL used Richmond to sink any merger plans because it wasn't part of the 'grand plan' to generate heaps of $$ from TV, build boutique stadiums etc. I thought the efforts of Daphne - the fear and loathing campaign ( Howard's copying that right now ) - were incredibly small minded and it's coloured my views on the Tigers ever since.

Basically the issue was that , in that year, North were a great team. If they had been cellar dwellers ( in 1991 or 1992 ) it might have happened and who knows .. it may have been a model for other clubs.

I rather liked the name having lived in the suburb for many years - North Fitzroy - the club administration could have moved to Queens Parade and the rivalry with Collingwood could have really been cranked up.

I was pretty stunned at the support the Lions got in the GF so I'm sure, if managed in a sensitive manner, the 'entity' would have got groundswell.

The 'what ifs' of history ..

Michele, the "Roy supporter [who] claims Greg Miller was "too greedy" and "not upfront, especially in regards to the name", is myself. My so-called "claim" is based on what has been stated in Dyson Hore-Lacy's book "Fitzroy" and by talking to the man himself.

Are you disputing his version of his events?

Originally posted by Michele

They quote, ad nauseum, from Dyson Hore-Lacey's book (apparently it is quite good) but they fail to see it is written from a Fitzroy perspective.

Of course it's written from a Fitzroy perspective, as you would expect from the Chairman of the Fitzroy Football Club. I'd be interested to read Greg Miller's version. Certainly as far as I know Greg Miller has not disputed Dyson Hore-Lacy's version of events.

According to the old Roy supporters, the merger only fell over because Greg Miller, and Walsh or Dawson were "too greedy" and were not "upfront", especially over the name - initially Fitzroy-North and then North supporters kicked up such a stink, they name was changed to North Fitzroy

According to Dyson Hore-Lacy, yes that is correct. Of course it wasn't the only reason the merger fell over, but it was an important factor. I don't blame Greg Miller, for trying to maximise his club's position in the merger, but there appears to be little doubt that his attempts to do so lost goodwill, lost valuable time, and allowed Brisbane back into the merger scenario. If both boards had signed off on the deal before the administrator had been appointed, then we would all be watching the North Fitzroy Kangaroos running around today.

The "Narau" loan also gets a great airing - "North should have repaid the $600,000 loan.

North refused to authorise Fitzroy in its negotiations with Nauru to commit any more than $650,000 to be paid from the merger monies. Of course this wasn't acceptable to Nauru, so an administrator was appointed to Fitzroy, taking any power to negotiate a merger out of the Fitzroy board's hands.

Player lists are also contentious!!! The previous AFL merger carrot of $6mil and the amount of players allowed was changed by who else, non other than Richmond's Leon Daphne. He called a presidents meeting to because he was frightened North would be too powerful on-and-off the field.

Correct. Another reason why the merger fell over. North wanted 54 players, Brisbane offered 44 players. Much more pleasing to the other clubs who feared a super-club from the North-Fitzroy union.

Fitzroy supporters overlook these facts.

Umm, no we don't.

Your original comments on another thread quite some time ago, sought to lay all the blame for the failure of the merger on the AFL. While the AFL, and our "brother" clubs must take some blame for the failure of the North Fitzroy merger, so too must North.

I suggest you read Dyson's book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back