Flight Plan donations in membership fees

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgive the intrusion but I know North did the same with our debt reduction because the research shows that if you let people "opt in" you get about 20 per cent take up but if you just stick it on and make people "opt out" you get about 80 per cent who don't opt out, or more accurately, 80 per cent take up.

* off, you're not welcome here.
Bell-end.

Also, I am a Uni student, not worried about $50.
Nor should any of your, considering what this club is going through.
I'm a firm believer we're going through all this because of our stupid arrogant behaviour in which we just hired our favourite sons and let our favourite sons bring in their associates and didn't oversee it because In Hird We Trust. so when i see stupid behaviour like this i'm gonna be pretty critical and if you have a problem with this, well the mind boggles

Just on the letters/e-mails, when did people get these?

I wouldn't have known about this if it weren't for BigFooty.

27th September for me.

Dear Dodgy Bastard
Thank you for your support as a member in 2013. Although 2013 was a tough year for the Essendonfamily in many ways, there is plenty to be proud of and celebrate. We reached 56,000 members (our highest member number ever) and of course those 14 wins – the most for our club in a home and away season since 2001 – giving us great hope and excitement as we head into 2014.
I’m also delighted to tell you that we are nearing completion of our new state-of-the-art club facility at Melbourne Airport, and it will become our new home very soon. As well as completing the building, we have now also entered the final stages of funding it – with over 70% of our target raised so far.
The club has always expected to go into debt as a result of the investment into the project and that is indeed where we now find ourselves for the first time in our history. To ensure that we are back in the black as quickly as possible, we are asking you to help us close that gap during the 2014 season if you can.
Thousands of our members have already contributed financially to the project, and they are being recognised by being named on an honour wall at our new home.
You’ll see we have included an OPTIONAL donation amount on your membership renewal this year, which you will receive in the coming weeks. I want to make it clear that it is your choice as to whether you have this included in your total membership package for 2014.
When you receive your membership renewal there will be clear instructions on how you can remove the donation if you so wish. However, if you can help, then the club will ensure the donation is added directly into our facility fund – helping to move us out of the red and back into the black where we belong. If your donation is above $50, your name will be etched on a commemorative plaque at the new facility.
I want to make one final thing clear – this donation will go towards our new facility only. We will not be asking our members to put any money towards the fine we recently received from the AFL. If you choose to donate towards our new facility, it will be an investment towards the future of our club.
If you have any questions between now and when your renewal notice is sent, the Member Services team would love to help. The team can be reached by reply email, by phone on 1300 46 26 62 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm) or via our online FAQs.
With your support, I look forward to moving into our new home next month, and positioning ourselves for a successful 2014 – stronger and more united than ever before.
Go Bombers!
Paul Little
Chairman

I got this letter in the mail yesterday, it makes it pretty clear that the donation is optional and can be removed so I don't have much problem with that.

Not prepared to give extra $$ on top of membership until we actually get some answers as to what the hell went on

My thoughts exactly, I'm thinking while I will renew my membership, I won't make the donation because of what has gone on in 2012-13 admin wise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgive the intrusion but I know North did the same with our debt reduction because the research shows that if you let people "opt in" you get about 20 per cent take up but if you just stick it on and make people "opt out" you get about 80 per cent who don't opt out, or more accurately, 80 per cent take up.

Yep, lots of research on that. It works and in this case it is dodgy as hell. It will cause a lot of problems too given how infrequently people read the fine print when signing up to things.

This s**t with the Flight Plan has annoyed the heck out of me since it was first announced. Simply a football club taking advantage of the passion of its supporters.

Give me back my option for an 18 game H&A general admission membership and I might think about giving you extra money. Until I've got the ability to choose who I sit with on a weekly basis all the club will be getting is my membership fee. And especially after what's gone on in the last year or two.

How do you plan to fit 60,000 members into a 55,000 seat stadium with GA?

Just got a phone marketing call from the club, asking to purchase a "win a prize" ticket to fund a high altitude simulator.

Anyone else get this too?

Seems like they are marketing pretty heavily at the moment.

Just got a phone marketing call from the club, asking to purchase a "win a prize" ticket to fund a high altitude simulator.

Anyone else get this too?

Seems like they are marketing pretty heavily at the moment.
Yea got that, not too keen on that either.

How do you plan to fit 60,000 members into a 55,000 seat stadium with GA?

Sorry not GA, but general reserve. They have a flexi home game membership, I don't see why they can't have a flexi home and away membership like they used to. I'd get a flexi membership but I want to go to away games too so I'm forced to get a home&away membership.

We just got a $2 mil fine, its a disgrace that they are asking for money in this way... absolute disgrace..

I'm OK with it, sure its a little sneaky but at least they clearly communicated to the members what they were doing. Opt in will have a better 'take up' rate and as long as its clearly disclosed I don't see the problem and I will chip in the extra $50. I don't blame people for being angry given the saga that has just gone on and perhaps continues to go on, but I'm going to try and put in a little extra and do my bit to help the club recover quicker and I hope many others do too.

They do some sneaky s**t this club. I've once been sent an invoice for 2 seasons worth of membership payments when I had a direct debit set up. I don't like the management of this club at any level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back