Football in movies

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it wrong I now want to watch this? :D

Seems like the Damned United is on the list for this coming weekend!

I feel the same way, just to see exactly how bad it is. It's just like... what.

You see some of the mentioned scenes about racist English gentleman (You're going to let the frogs handle the game? Haw haw, what do foreigners know about our game?) and some moments which will make you roll your eyes ("Now, the next tournament will take place in both South Korea and Japan, far from Europe. Some of you may feel that this is a good opportunity to close lucrative deals with certain lobbies. Think again. No sport is spotless; there is just a lot more money involved in ours, which is why from now on we will be exemplary in all respects. The slightest breach of ethics will be severely punished.")

It's like something from a sketch show, only it actually exists in reality. I can't tell if this is a serious film, or a subtle hint that FIFA is taking the Mickey out of itself.

In fact, the director of the movie (Frederic Auburtin) has basically admitted that what he 'had bought AIDS to Africa.' FIFA also wanted him to name the movie 'Men of Legend' and 'The Dreammakers.'

What accent is Sam Neill going for there?? It's bizarre.

Neill's playing João Havelange, so that would be a Brazillian Portuguese accent. Feel more for Tim Roth, who is playing Sepp Blatter, forever tainted. Sorry Tim, you may have been in some good movies, but you'll never ever be viewed in the same light again.

Also, my greatest apologies to everyone here for bringing this garbage in here. Please, continue bringing in the gold, the awesome football movies. There is some good stuff out there.

What's that romantic comedy movie about I think an Arsenal fan and some mysterious girl that helps results? Maybe Rachel Weisz was in it? I think... I dont know. Ringing any bells?

My Summer with Des!
Stars Neil Morrissey and a younger Rachel Weisz. Fantasy type movie about a guy during Euro 96 who has his life run as well or as poor as how England are doing in the tournament. His Scottish housemate moves out when Scotland are eliminated etc etc A daft movie but one that captures the momentum of when your country is doing well in a tournament. Also, Weisz is very fit in this.
Most football movies are awful, especially GSH and Football Factory. It's movies like that that go a long way to breeding these cap/adidas wearing twats that attend A-League games and think they're in East London.
Pure Belter and The Damned United are standouts. The Arsenal one is Feverpitch.

Just watched Green street for the first time in a long time, can't believe I used to like that rubbish.

Bend it like Beckham, Goal 1 (maybe 2 if you're that keen) and Mike Bassett are good football films.

Cass and Purely Belter are good football related films.

Years ago I saw a film about the Hungarian football team back in the day, that was a decent watch too.

My Summer with Des!
Stars Neil Morrissey and a younger Rachel Weisz. Fantasy type movie about a guy during Euro 96 who has his life run as well or as poor as how England are doing in the tournament. His Scottish housemate moves out when Scotland are eliminated etc etc A daft movie but one that captures the momentum of when your country is doing well in a tournament. Also, Weisz is very fit in this.
Most football movies are awful, especially GSH and Football Factory. It's movies like that that go a long way to breeding these cap/adidas wearing twats that attend A-League games and think they're in East London.
Pure Belter and The Damned United are standouts. The Arsenal one is Feverpitch.
My Summer with Des!

Of course, I quite liked that one. I think I got it mixed up with Feverpitch with the Arsenal tie in. Not sure ive actually seen Feverpitch.

Not a movie but does anyone remember the T.V. show Hero to Zero? I remember watching it on ABC as a kid. It was about a boy who had a poster of Michael Owen on his wall which came to life (at least that's how I remember it). I don't think it was very successful considering it only had 6 episodes but was enjoyable enough for a football loving kid like myself.

Damned United is a good one.

If you can find this one on line give it a watch.

NUFC Tiger surely you've seen Purely Belter :)

FIFA movie was released in America received tly..... and grossed $607 at the box office! !

Ashamed to say I haven't Oz...but hopefully will rectify that this coming weekend haha. :D

I feel the same way, just to see exactly how bad it is. It's just like... what.

You see some of the mentioned scenes about racist English gentleman (You're going to let the frogs handle the game? Haw haw, what do foreigners know about our game?) and some moments which will make you roll your eyes ("Now, the next tournament will take place in both South Korea and Japan, far from Europe. Some of you may feel that this is a good opportunity to close lucrative deals with certain lobbies. Think again. No sport is spotless; there is just a lot more money involved in ours, which is why from now on we will be exemplary in all respects. The slightest breach of ethics will be severely punished.")

It's like something from a sketch show, only it actually exists in reality. I can't tell if this is a serious film, or a subtle hint that FIFA is taking the Mickey out of itself.

In fact, the director of the movie (Frederic Auburtin) has basically admitted that what he 'had bought AIDS to Africa.' FIFA also wanted him to name the movie 'Men of Legend' and 'The Dreammakers.'

That's exactly it - I'm so curious to see what the full film is like - from that 1 scene alone I couldn't tell if it was done in satire or not. :confused:

Not a movie but does anyone remember the T.V. show Hero to Zero? I remember watching it on ABC as a kid. It was about a boy who had a poster of Michael Owen on his wall which came to life (at least that's how I remember it). I don't think it was very successful considering it only had 6 episodes but was enjoyable enough for a football loving kid like myself.

I remember seeing ads for the show as a kid (on Nickelodeon I think?) but never watched it. How was Owen as an actor?

On the subject of TV, I remember a show called 'the Renford Rejects' was pretty funny back in the day - was about a bunch of misfit school kids who formed a 5 a side team.

I'm sure Michael Owen was an acting tour de force. Just look at the personality he shows in interviews.

Imagine having to spend a night on the town with Owen and Shearer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another prominent football film (and probably the most commercially lucrative) is Bend it like Beckham. I remember seeing this for my sister's birthday years ago. Was surprisingly good too I believe from memory with a nice blend of humour and drama. I can't recall the film in great detail but I believe it spent quite a bit depicting match scenes and I believe there is a brief cameo from Becks himself right at the end too.
When I got into London with QANTAS and walking through terminal 3, I look up and see the bridge and go. That's where David Beckham's cameo is from Bend it like Beckham. Then look down to beneath the bridge and I go 'that's where they filmed the kid love story, get the kiss with the girl at the gate story from Love Actually'

Does 'The Class of 92' count?

I was just about to post this.

I would recommend it to any football fan tbh, obviously you'll enjoy it more if you support United but it really is a fantastic doco but I think even if you hate United you can still appreciate the amazing insights you get from these players, the chemistry they have is great to watch too and obviously Becks and G Nev are very comfortable in front of the camera. I've shown this to my housemates who don't even follow football (beyond FIFA) and they loved it.

The full version is easy to find on youtube if anyone wants to check it out, here's a clip of them running through Giggsy's goal to get a taste:

MV5BMTU2ODk0OTMyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcyMTMyMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

The football scenes in this movie are so realistic you'll think you're watching the Champions League final.

I would recommend it to any football fan tbh, obviously you'll enjoy it more if you support United but it really is a fantastic doco but I think even if you hate United you can still appreciate the amazing insights you get from these players, the chemistry they have is great to watch too and obviously Becks and G Nev are very comfortable in front of the camera. I've shown this to my housemates who don't even follow football (beyond FIFA) and they loved it.

The full version is easy to find on youtube if anyone wants to check it out, here's a clip of them running through Giggsy's goal to get a taste:

Gives me goosebumps every time i see that goal mate, particularly in the doco. Still remember watching it on tv and running around the house celebrating like a maniac after the goal. My folks hate football so had NFI what i was doing hahaha

Gives me goosebumps every time i see that goal mate, particularly in the doco. Still remember watching it on tv and running around the house celebrating like a maniac after the goal. My folks hate football so had NFI what i was doing hahaha

Haha I know what you mean mate, that goal and the way they run through the Champions League final never fails to give me goosebumps either. The big surprise about this one for me is how good Scholes is in front of the camera, considering how shy he is and how he hates the limelight I thought this sort of thing would be a real struggle for him.

Football Factory isn't a bad movie and is a probably a fair bit truer reflection on football hooliganism than Green street. Not sure if it's something that'd interest you, but Danny Dyer done a series called the real football factories where he went and interviewed leading figures from firms around England and Scotland. Not everyone's cup of tea, but reading and watching hooligan stories is something that interests me so I enjoyed it.

The damned United is another good football movie as is United, the story about the 1958 Munich air disaster.
Your name is the ******* best.

How good was that show?

This is fantastic :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Loved this.

Not a movie but I remember watching a show called the Manageress in the 90s. Drama about a female manager in England, think it was with Blackburn. Really can't remember that much more about it but tbh just the name

Also any Liverpool fans, or anybody really, seen Will? Story about a kid who loses his Dad but has a ticket to the European Cup final to see Liverpool and heads there on his own to see the game without his Dad or something along those lines. Has a 7.0 on IMDB so much be alright. Yet to see it though, it's an elusive download.

It was better than I expected but nothing great, found it on one of the downloading sites one time. Pretty sure there was a few cameos; Stevie G, Carragher and King Kenny but its been a while since i saw it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back