Official 2023/2024 Uber Eats Ligue 1 / French football thread (On Bein Sports)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Post here for all discussion about Ligue 1 and French football in general.

There has been a significant change in the structure of Ligue 1 this season. Last season, 4 teams were relegated. Auxerre, Ajaccio, Troyes (shout out to Aussie Pat) and Angers.

Just two were promoted - Le Havre & Metz. Le Havre have not played in Ligue 1 for 20 years. Metz have bounced straight back up after going down in Season 21/22. Ligue 1 teams this season below:

1691465167884.png

First round is this weekend which sees some interesting fixtures including Boehly's new club RC Strasbourg taking on Lyon who are in all sorts financially:

1691465234879.png

Of note, PSG seem to be in full blown crisis mode. Neymar has stated he wants to leave. Mbappe wants to play out the last year of his contract but PSG are desperate to not suffer the embarrassment of losing him on a free transfer and are trying everything to sell him this summer transfer window.

Will be a fascinating season. I can actually see Marseille getting up which would make DEVO happy!

Post here for all discussion about Ligue 1 and French football in general.

There has been a significant change in the structure of Ligue 1 this season. Last season, 4 teams were relegated. Auxerre, Ajaccio, Troyes (shout out to Aussie Pat) and Angers.

Just two were promoted - Le Havre & Metz. Le Havre have not played in Ligue 1 for 20 years. Metz have bounced straight back up after going down in Season 21/22. Ligue 1 teams this season below:

View attachment 1768075

First round is this weekend which sees some interesting fixtures including Boehly's new club RC Strasbourg taking on Lyon who are in all sorts financially:

View attachment 1768078

Of note, PSG seem to be in full blown crisis mode. Neymar has stated he wants to leave. Mbappe wants to play out the last year of his contract but PSG are desperate to not suffer the embarrassment of losing him on a free transfer and are trying everything to sell him this summer transfer window.

Will be a fascinating season. I can actually see Marseille getting up which would make DEVO happy!
While I would love to see OM finally reclaim the title, I'm not sure it will happen. I think Lens or PSG (if they don't implode) are the two best chances, with Lyon as a bit of a smokie.

Exciting season coming up for Strasbourg, should push for top 4 now.

Don't think we have ever qualified for CL before. That would be huge for the club. 4th place now goes into qualifying from Ligue 1. How good is this Angelo guy on loan?

Couple of exciting forwards picked up. Should be a good season.

While I would love to see OM finally reclaim the title, I'm not sure it will happen. I think Lens or PSG (if they don't implode) are the two best chances, with Lyon as a bit of a smokie.

PSG are in full on meltdown mode. They're trying to force Mbappe to leave because him leaving on a free transfer in 12 months would be hugely embarrassing for the club. Neymar has said he wants out.

I really think Lens or even you guys could get in there this season. Aren't Lyon crippled financially? I expect they'll be selling the likes of Lukeba / Cherki if big bids come in.

I think despite all their problems PSG unfortunately are a good chance to win again. Lens are going to miss Fofana and their main striker Openda.
Marseille? I was a bit underwhelmed by the signing of Marcellino as manager. But Aubemayang's should be a good signing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened here DEVO ?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the poor start to the season, relegated to the Europa League and only 2 wins in the league, which has led to some tension between manager and players. A few players are unhappy with how he has been managing the team.

Drawing 0-0 at home to Toulouse didn't help. :(

I'm guessing it has something to do with the poor start to the season, relegated to the Europa League and only 2 wins in the league, which has led to some tension between manager and players. A few players are unhappy with how he has been managing the team.

Drawing 0-0 at home to Toulouse didn't help. :(
There was a meeting between the club presidency (Pablo Longoria and his team) and representatives of the main supporter groups on Monday. Things got heated with the fans demanding that Longoria resign, and threats were made against Longoria. After that, Marcellino, who was Longoria's managerial choice, said he could no longer work in that kind of hostile environment.
There's been some interesting articles in La Provence, the local newspaper, including a long interview with Longoria that shows what a circus the club has become with all it's in-fighting and political intrigues.
Anyway, since Didier Deschamps quit in 2012 (also forced out by fans) Marseille have had 13 different managers!

For those of you interested in so-called fan culture in French football, do a search on Rachid Zeroual, the leader of one of the main Marseille supporter groups. He has been wielding influence and power within the club since the late 80s. (He was the key cause of Deschamp's resignation).

Some good games to look forward to this weekend. The Classique, PSG V OM, on Sunday, and tonight there's the derby between 1st placed Monaco and 4th placed Nice.

There's also the Derby of the East between Metz and Strasbourg, which is a pretty fierce rivalry. Metz aren't doing too badly in their first season back in Ligue 1.

There was a meeting between the club presidency (Pablo Longoria and his team) and representatives of the main supporter groups on Monday. Things got heated with the fans demanding that Longoria resign, and threats were made against Longoria. After that, Marcellino, who was Longoria's managerial choice, said he could no longer work in that kind of hostile environment.
There's been some interesting articles in La Provence, the local newspaper, including a long interview with Longoria that shows what a circus the club has become with all it's in-fighting and political intrigues.
Anyway, since Didier Deschamps quit in 2012 (also forced out by fans) Marseille have had 13 different managers!

For those of you interested in so-called fan culture in French football, do a search on Rachid Zeroual, the leader of one of the main Marseille supporter groups. He has been wielding influence and power within the club since the late 80s. (He was the key cause of Deschamp's resignation).
Marseille has been a basket case since the debacle of 1993, the exception being the three seasons Deschamps was in charge when we last won the Ligue title, I honestly think we could have won another title or two if he remained, just look at what he has done for the National Team since he was appointed as the National coach.

I though under Tudor we were finally heading in the right direction, but after one season he decided to depart as well, and I feel that a season where we could be a legitimate contender is going to be shot down because of the instability in the managerial space. :mad:

I've heard of Rachid Zeroual, he is not someone I'd like to meet, and I blame him and the instability at the top after the death of former owner Robert Louis-Dreyfus in 2009 (we had three Presidents in two seasons) for Deshamps resignation, I was shattered when he resigned.

Just watched it on replay. Marseille completely outplayed, on the back foot the entire game. PSG look scary good unfortunately.

At least we have surprise package Brest top of the table for now.

I'm rapt we are up to 5th after getting the points in the Metz derby.

At least Boehly is doing something right with us haha !

I'm rapt we are up to 5th after getting the points in the Metz derby.

At least Boehly is doing something right with us haha !
Patrick Viera was one of my favourite players so I hope he has some success with Strasbourg. He usually goes well for a season or two, before it kind of falls to pieces!
Also it would be good to see Strasbourg do well, considering they were as low as you could go less than 15 years ago.

I'm calling bullshit on this DEVO

Saudi Arabian NT and various clubs have thrown endless money at Zidane and the great man hasn't budged. He's turned down the sportswashers in Paris multiple times. I'd love to see him manage Marseille but if he were truly keen on that he's just do it and not wait for the Saudis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back